Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage 2022

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's the total opposite with bales. Good dry bales are a pleasure to handle. Way easier to get net and plastic off as well. My harvest costs are about 110/ acre Inc plastic.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just with regard to delaying cuts for bulk and using less fert, April and May will give the best response to the fert so as well to put it out for then and get the silage made right instead of waiting for the field for 2 weeks to get going again after its cut if you leave it longer for bulk. Costs are going to be daft this year, just make sure you'll have enough feed for whatever stock you plan on keeping next winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We haven't made pit or round baled silage in 18 years. We normally buy fairly good quality bales locally however this year will be different with the increased cost of fertilizer so we will probably have to go back to making our own. Do any of ye use inoculants/additives on either pit or baled silage - we always used it in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

What are ye thinking regarding slurry, the short term forecast is good, dry weather this week anyway. Better utilisation if left on till Feb, but this good weather is bound to break & might not get the opportunity, hard one to call..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

Postponed my contractor today til the weekend at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Spreading away here since Saturday. Ground holding up well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭green daries

Not true early silage crops will be as bulky as you want them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How do you manage all the grass in the spring/early summer? Especially with calves you’d have a low demand for grass early on in the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

My silage this year is wet, not soaking wet mind, but damp.

In terms of feeding and handling it's a disaster, net is a bitch to get off, much heavier on the bale feeder and it tends to roll off in lumps, forking in the leftovers is sore on the back.

Made good dry silage here for the last number of years (last summer aside), and it's a pleasure to feed, i'd even go as far as to say my cattle thrive better on dry silage, made 30 bales year before last, left to wilt for 2 days in scorching sun, it was gone into hay, none the less i baled it up and cattle went mad for it, it would do you good to get a smell of it, absolutely beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Don't fork it in, stand with your back to the cattle at the barrier and scrape/ roll it back to the cattle with the fork. Way easier on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I'm feeding hayledge to 20 heifer Weanlens no meal. Cut hayledge in July last year in the hot spell, it was on the point of going to hay but I wrapped it as Hayledge as it was green soft stuff that would heat as hay. When I open the bales there a lovely sweet smell from the bales. The stuff is dry but they go stone mad for it. Heifers are in since Nov 15th, they weighed between 240 to 280kg. I weighed a few of them yesterday morning, they are weighing 320 -350 kg now. That's just a tad over 1kg a day weight gain on no meal and after being pulled from the cow.

I now will do my best to make Hayledge for everything from now on.

• You have Bigger harder bales.
    • less bales yet more feeding.
    • No waste on the bales.
    • Sweet smelling stuff that doesn't destroy your clothes or hands.
    • Netting is easy to take off.
    • Cattle not scouring around the place
    • Cattle thrive better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am sure the Teagasc brigade will be on shortly to say that could not be possible .I have been making hayledge now 15 years and like yourself more then happy with it .Dung is dryer so cubicle house dung hard to shift down in passage way ends .Contractors don't like hayledge either as it cuts bale numbers

The problem is the gospel for the last 10+ years is DMD. All research on silage has been related to dairying. This research nearly all based on silage need for milking cows which is supplemented by rations. Any research silage is on finishing beef cattle or weanlings.

There was research that was published last year That gave indications about DM but it has not being followed up on much. Everything is based on optimum/maximum growth rates not on a store based system.

Slava Ukrainii

Are you feeding minerals. Depending on when weighted, cattle can lose a lot of weight first at or after housing as they get rid of a lot of liquid in the system. However even if this was 5-8% of bodyweight you are still looking at gain of 0.7/0.8kgs/day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭green daries

• Advertisement

Nothing but the hayledge and water. I'm surprised myself as when you pull the Weanlen from the Cow and house them they can go backwards. They are inside over 60 days now. my target weights would always be 350kg+ by mid February and I'd usually have to horse meal into them for a few weeks to get them that far, but they are already starting to hit the weight so no meal = more profit.

I have become a bit skeptical too about the quality of some of the rations for Weanlens, the cheaper ones stink of spent brewers grain with very little of the lupen bean, Soya or Barley in them.

350kg is my target which I'm going to get easily, idk could you continue to killing weight on Hayledge, there doesn't seem to be much info out there, it's all on Silage and meal diets or Grass + meal diets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What way are you all measuring the dm?

Silage here was left into June as it was mainly for sucklers. It would be the same with most around us. The cutting date is more weather window based than dm. Although we would be further north then most of you.

Hayledge is great for sucklers as it tightens up the dung in them and they are cleaner on the slats. The young stock do better on it too and the lie back is easier to keep clean.

With wet bales when you take the net off with bale lifted then it collapses and when you set it down the net lies under the bale and it is a hash to remove. Plus the passage is damp. You get more packing into a dry bale and they are less likely to be misshapen. Not great reasons from a animal performance pov, but reasons none the less.

No you couldn't finish on haylage. Weanling thrive on any sort of dry feed. As they eat and sit down. Next year feed minerals, calcium and salt and see how you get on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What minerals do you feed the weanlings? We have pre-calver for the cows, but what do you give to the weanlings?

Its stores I have but it would be the same. A general purpose beef mineral. Bought it in 25 kg bags 14.5/ bag, I bought 10 bags. 20 grams/100 kgs. I usually feed a bit less than that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭endainoz

Have been making haylage for a few years now too. Makes sense to do it with organics as it adds a bit of longevity to the bedding. Weanling heifers getting a small bit of meal mixed with seaweed meal for minerals, going well. Cows will start of the seaweed meal this week to use as a precalfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

How many gallons of watery slurry should silage ground get spreading with dribble bar and cord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Feeding wet silage is a pain in the h999.

Years I've had well dried silage, you wouldn't fill a wheel barrow in a month with waste. Far from the case this year.

I know only too well. With the softness of the bales when wet they sag and sink making them impossible to pick up unless using a spike. Getting the netting off is a disaster with the bale collapsing down on itself before you get to remove all the netting. Netting guaranteed to end up in the slurry then around the agitator after, another pure balls. The stink of the stuff then as well, everything you touch gets the smell and while you become immune to it, the other half or anyone else hasn't lost their sense of smell and you'll put them out of the room!!

Quality of wet silage goes downhill the wetter it is. When you see black stuff seeping out the bales that's the nutrients making there way out. What's left can be pure yellow sour silage.

Having said all that, it's all weather permitting and it's easy to get caught with Irish Weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Regarding the high DM silage how do you make it - would cutting and tedding out the same day be fit to (rake and )bale the following day for hayledge ?

or would you want it down for an extra day ?

Even with tedding you would want 40 hours. I just watch the weather. I am not really looking for haylage, just feed above 40% DM.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Big, big difference in silage that’s wet because the weather wasn’t right and silage that’s soft because it’s all leaf

I agree. But there is a certain amount of brainwashing going on about DMD. 10+ years ago Teagasc had a bulk V feed value graph that indicated late May as the optimal time to make silage. Over the last ten year that graph was thrown aside and cost was added into the system. Silage had to get earlier and earlier. 70DMD was no longer acceptable. You had.to be making 80DMD silage and growing all ryegrass, reseeding every 8-10years, spreading 20 units ager every grazing,

It was the same with breeding AI was the only way whether beef or dairy. There was no emphasis on whether it was practical for a lad working to do it. Therefore you ended up with two extremes, those that followed the gospel and those that didn't.

Those that didn't went further and further down the path of ignoring completely Teagasc advice. There is s happy medium. It's the sweet spot where lads that are finishing or autumn selling weanlings or stores on a grass based system should be.

We are not paid for the extra beef that these technically efficient system produce. There is no point in adding extra work or cost I to the system

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭dmakc

Stupid question but I always wonder if I interpret K application correctly. Say you need 100 units/ac for first cut. Is the below correct;

March/Apr - spread 100K/ac

May/June - silage cut takes up 100K/ac

Rest of year - is it now net equal to the soil index from January or is there something I'm missing? My understanding from here is apply ~80 units if going for a second cut, or ~30 units if going grazing and that will see out the year? I've heard someone say you need to restore the K after the cut, but that seems counter intuitive.

Also - if I covered a field in dung last October, would this mean I need to apply less slurry/0-7-30 etc. for this year's cut in same field?

If you covered the field in dung last October then all you need for Silage is Nitrogen. Unless you are on really poor ground I can't see how you would need P & K with dung spread

Bought a half Pallet of Silage wrap this morning last years stock, 20 rolls @ €82.50 per roll paid upfront and collected. The new wrap is going to be €100+ that's if you can believe the sales rep. Maybe he was only blowing smoke, the same lad comes out with some mad stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement