Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's Abuse Toilets that's suggesting it, he has history in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Assuming the SRs are Ryan, Henderson (if fit), Beirne and Baird, I hope there's a development call-up for Niall Murray or Ahern too, cupboard is looking increasingly bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I must say, watching him, he didn’t strike me as that slow. Maybe in comparison to Balacoune. Though not in general terms for Irish wingers. I will keep an eye on that next time I see him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ah McIlroy does have some x-factor now to be fair.

Did you see his try v Northampton?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Don't know what more Marmion has to do to be selected... He has shown Casey is clearly not up to it yet, he would be better having actual game s back in Munster...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be honest I think he does have a bit of X Factor about him, he has a lethal step and his handling skills are very good.

Agree he doesn't SEEM to have the top end pace of some, I think he will end up at 15 in time, especially if Lowry moves to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

History in recognizing that Murray isn't one of the 3 best SHs in the country? Damning indictment there

• Well its a good thing that the people who's opinions actually matter think different :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Both Casey and Doak have been out played in the last few months by Marmion... Clearly out played...

I just don't understand playing a SH who will clearly at his prime age wise during the next RWC...

Sorry you earn your place on the Irish team... Whats the point of having Irish Team manager when we can select them using brith certs...

By the way Blade has out played then too and he two years younger..

Sorry but this was the same crap used on Cooney when he was clearly good enough... Barrier for his entry onto the Irish team is much higher than others...

So we are going into ^N with one Scrum Half (Murray) who is undroppable no how bad he plays, a player(JGP) playing better than him but not hard (and plays less and less against other Irish teams) and a young player not up to it...

Cooney was ignored before and now Marmion is getting the same treatment... It seem to no matter how you play now, it is all about what is going on in the managers head... Luke McGrath proved that in the autumn season...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Domestic games no longer clash with 6 Nations weekends tho, so that argument is redundant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sorry you earn your place on the Irish team... Whats the point of having Irish Team manager when we can select them using brith certs...

It's finally happened, we've gone full circle. Farrell being criticised for picking young players.

It seem to no matter how you play now, it is all about what is going on in the managers head... Luke McGrath proved that in the autumn season...

It absolutely and obviously is all about what's going on in the managers head. And, given the results and performances in the Autumn, he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

He dotted down pretty much in front of me!

It could well be that I'm being a bit hypercritical. I certainly don't think he's pedestrian, and there's not many second choice wingers at other provinces I'd swap him for (and none his own age).

Maybe I thought I'd see more breaks from him - instead, you'll often see him fighting for (and getting) an extra ten feet in contact with his strength and footwork, before giving secure ball. Certainly not a consistent ability to be sneezed at.

He's scored some beauties off cross-field kicks, and I loved his wee hand signal for Lowry to go on the outside for his second try at the weekend.

Maybe we get trapped in that binary way of thinking, that a player is either flashy (Zebo, Larmour, Stockdale) or dependable (Trimble, Kearney).

Either way,I'd love to see him called up as development player. I think his comfort at FB is very valuable as well.

• All I'll say is Schmidt didn't seem to rate Cooney and while Marmion always done himself justice when picked, was never first choice.

Fast forward to today, Farrell doesn't seem to rate Cooney either and he has given Blade a shot in fairness during the Summer. Farrell seems to bring people into the camp based on potential (Harry Byrne etc).

It's a bit of a stretch to say Murray is un-droppable considering JGP is the starter and Murray the bench option in Farrell's mind. And I don't get what not playing against other Irish teams has got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭phog

So you know better than all the Irish coaches, the Lions Coach and the Munster coaches that have coached him and selected him while you moan online.

Guess who I take notice of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thing is with Ulster, Cooney is the heartbeat. He takes the kicking duties and is the driving force and is a leader. With Ireland, that's not needed. Sexton is the driving force.

While I believe Cooney is deserving of inclusion and should have been selected more in the past, perhaps the coaching team think he doesn't fit with Sexton! Murray on the other hand, is established and has a long history alongside Sexton. Even if he's not as good as Cooney, my opinion.

Somehow, Murray is deemed undroppable and will probably be so for the foreseeable future.

On another note, I think Kilcoyne is a better option to back up Porter than Healy. To me, Healy looks labored and slow and has lost his power and explosiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The "Murray is undroppable" line is somewhat undermined by the fact that Murray has in fact been dropped.

The mundane reality is that he's just better than most of the other guys. I thought he did pretty well in the Autumn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭TRC10

Gibson-Park is clearly no.1 and rightly so. Farrell was vindicated in selecting him because he was outstanding in the Autumn and one of our most important players.

Murray has been in ok form of late. He frustrated me in the Argentina game because he slowed things down a lot when we were looking to play a high tempo game. But him being on the bench makes sense as he's a very different 9 to JGP and he is good for closing out a game. If you don't want to change things, just leave JGP on.

JGP and Murray are 1 and 2 and I've no issues with that.

The 3rd scrum half isn't going to be in the 23 barring injury, so Farrell can make his selection with one eye on the World Cup here and I think that's good. Having Casey there as 3rd choice made perfect sense IMO, I'm a huge fan of his and I think a lot of the stick he gets is from people looking at Doak and getting shiny new toy syndrome.

Having said that, I'd like to see Doak brought in for this 6N. And maybe given a run off the bench v Italy. He came straight from u20s into the Ulster team and hasn't looked one bit out of place. There's not many scrum halves who at 20, could start away in Europe to a good English side and take the game by the scruff of the neck like he did. He has world class potential. And he needs the experience with the World Cup edging closer. That doesn't mean Casey is out of the picture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Blane McIlroy's brother would be fantastic if he was just a bit faster. He should go and get some sprint coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I wouldn't be suprised to see both Healy and Kilkoyne get 3 and 2 starts on the bench respectively.

Personally I belive Healy remains a better option off the bench than Kilkoyne but each to their own. Kilkoyne reminds me of stander running into contact with the ball.. all bluster and limited finesse..

Healy is also still a better scrummager.

There is a reason why one player is the 4th most capped player for ireland ever and the other only got his 2nd 6nations start for ireland last year.

Shane Daly is someone who has fallen of the Ireland radar a bit. I'd say he should look for a move to Connacht. O'Halloran isn't the player he was.

Surprised that no one has mentioned Conor O Brien?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,612 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why would someone mention the perma injured conor o brien?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who knows? Just thought I would give him props!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

People who are so steadfast and confident in their beliefs in the face of experts believing differently really are a special breed. Thankfully on forums such as this they make it easy to identify them and take the relevant action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hadn't realised before today that squad is out tomorrow. Isn't it usually after the last round of fixtures in the Champions Cup?

• Advertisement

Could these new eligibility laws allow Paddy Jackson to declare for England, I wonder. He's already got a sufficient stand-down period from Ireland, but I don't know if he'd need three years or five years residency. He moved to LI for the 2019/2020 season.

Any panel making a decision might look kindly on him since he's been unfairly barred from representing his own country. Found completely innocent but booted out because his union didn't have the backbone to stand up to pressure from virtue-signalling sponsors. Shocking stuff.

Advertisement