Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

I would imagine best case scenario for someone who is solely playing on Playstation is that Sony just give up the race to the bottom and allow a gamepass cloud streaming app on playstation. At least with this and future game releases its the best case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I bet there'll be a Game Pass app on PS5 before the end of the year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would be very surprised if Activision games are not released on Playstation. I think this will continue as normal.

The difference will be that Playstation owners will pay 70 quid a game and Xbox owners will get it as part of their monthly sub, and probably earlier access.

• Advertisement

Too much money in the COD franchise to make it console and PC exclusive. But i agree with one of the above posters, maybe they're thinking outside of the console box and more a conglomerate gaming streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭eggy81

Would it not make them more money to keep ps players in the loop though ther than cut out that user base from all the new software?

Strongly doubt it. Similar was said when MS bought Bethesda.

During the "Bethesda Joins Xbox" roundtable on March 11, Spencer addressed speculation around whether the acquisition will see future Bethesda titles, such as Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6, becoming Xbox exclusives – and it's not good news for PS5 players.

"If you’re an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is that this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists," Spencer explained. "That’s our goal, that’s why we’re doing this, that’s the root of this partnership that we’re building.

"Obviously I can’t sit here and say every Bethesda game is exclusive, because we know that’s not true," Spencer said. "There are contractual obligations that we’re going to see through, as we always do in every one of these instances. We have games that exist on other platforms, and we’re gonna go support those games on the platforms they’re on. There are communities of players and we love those communities and we’ll continue to invest in them. And even in the future, there might be things that have contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we’ll go do."

So things like Deathloop they had to allow on PS5 with the timed exclusivity because that deal was already in place. But if there's nothing contractually in place, they're going to be Xbox exclusives. Same will more than likely happen with ActiBlizz.

It's a long term plan to make GamePass/xCloud the dominant force in gaming. So, they lose money in the short term, gain in the long term. And Microsoft can afford to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disney owning so much of the film and TV industry has been a terrible development for the plurality of media. Microsoft aren't as bad in enforcing their particular worldview on the world, but still everyone should be uneasy about a handful of companies controlling the landscape - whether that's Tencent, Microsoft or Sony.

A reminder that at the end of the day these are all giant corporations, and the 'competition' as we perceive it doesn't really matter when a giant cheque can be ripped out to change the game at a moment's notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

This is crazy, seems like Microsoft will just go around buying up everything they desire given they money they have to play with.

Personally I wouldn't play much of those games outside of the very odd game of Warzone these days, but it makes you wonder what is the next acquisition they're going to target? Can't be good overall tbh, healthy competition is good but there's a limit to this sort of thing tbh.

I always thought they should buy Sega and do something with all the iconic IPs. There's potential there and they probably wouldn't cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Hopefully this is the last we'll see of Bobby Kotick in the games industry, though he'll have undoubtedly made a fortune out of the deal.

I was thinking I can't remember when I actually last played an Activision Blizzard game (other than the likes of Candy Crush on mobile), so had a look through their back catalogue and, honestly, in the last decade there's not much there worth playing unless you love FPS games. The Sekiro IP is owned by From Software, Activision just published it in the west, so unclear where that will stand. Going back a little further you've got more interesting games like THPS and Guitar Hero, and of course Blizzard's back catalogue from when they were still a top tier studio. It'll be curious to see if they make WoW subscriptions a part of gamepass, that would be one way to try to win some players back from FFXIV. I guess games like Warcraft and Starcraft will only ever be on PC Game Pass as even if made available via cloud streaming they really need a mouse and keyboard.

It will be interesting to see if MS can detoxify the brand and revive some of their more interesting IPs going forward. They really need to clear out a lot of Activision and Blizzard's upper management if they don't want to take on a lot of the stains of recent history.

PS5 and Series consoles can use mouse and keyboard so that might not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmmm.

All Microsoft did was pay a ton of money for another FPS (call of duty), crash bandicoot, tony hawk ,

Yawny yawn yawn

Or ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭eggy81

There’ll be some fume among the masses on ps5 when cod and some of these major games stop appearing on PlayStation. Maybe it’ll give Sony the kick it needs to do something new themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My game pass play later list is long enough already 😂

• Advertisement

Given how huge Call of Duty still is year in year out, regardless of quality, the idea that it will now not only exclusive to Xbox but also day one free on Gamepass, is huge. Then you add in how insanely popular Overwatch 1 was which means Overwatch 2 might also become Xbox/Gamepass only.

Those games would have come out regardless, and would have been on Xbox regardless. But the fact they'll likely now be Xbox only and Day One Gamepass, and therefore no longer on PS, is huge for the industry. Same with all the other franchises they have.

You're missing WoW, Overwatch and Diablo. Massive games there

• Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm.... not happy about this....

The potential/likelihood of Call of Duty, or Overwatch being console exclusive to Xbox feels way more off than any of the Bethesda titles to be honest.

I would genuinely hope Overwatch and CoD will be free to play on Xbox (via GamePass, so not free) but still available on the PS consoles.

WoW is PC only as is, so no change there, same with Diablo I guess.

I dunno, uneasy about this.

And I say that as an Xbox Series X owner with GamePass - this is not me being a disgruntled sony-pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I am slightly confused by the reaction to this.

Over the last year people have been clamouring for real changes in both Activision and Blizzard, not only due to their recent **** games, but largely due to the massive scandals coming out of both companies, especially Blizzard.

Microsoft, a company I'm no fan of, is probably one of the few corporations out there with the sheer buying power able to buy out Activision Blizzard, and people appear to be more pressed about Microsoft buying them out?

Who did people think was going to do it? Did people really think there would be change from within despite years and years of the exact same stuff happening within ActiBlizz?

edit: I'm not happy about one company owning too much of anything, it never goes well for the consumer, I'm just more surprised by peoples response to this outside that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bethesda is a different kettle of fish to Activision entirely. Bethesda games are mostly single player RPGs, completely different numbers.

Activision have the likes of CoD and Overwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

They should have bought Sega right when the dreamcast failed. It would have allowed them to use the Sega brand for their consoles in Japan (and not get scrutinized as the 'american' console) and Sega were willing. They initially did exclusives on xbox but when they realised xbox was not taking off japan they opened up to sony and nintendo.

Both the value and ease to buy up Sega now are greatly diminished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

and Candy Crush, to be fair. the profits that game generates are huge. King are no small part of this deal financially, even if it isn't a big deal from a GamePass point of view.

I mean all of that is instantly offset by the fact Kotick will be staying on as CEO of Activision Blizzard (apparently the payoff he'd be entitled to if he's removed without proper cause is in the hundreds of millions when taking shares etc into account). But even then, there's two separate issues; the issues within Activision Blizzard as a company, and the impact Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard has on the industry.

The issues within AB are already being forced through due to the lawsuits and reputational damage they're facing. It's unknown how big an impact MS buying them will have on that regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah for people into more original games and genres other than FPS there's very little worth playing on Activision's slate but CoD is still absolutely huge with a very large market of more casual gamers so financially it probably makes sense. Activision's share price has dropped 40% in the last year amid all the crises they've been having while their revenue has actually continued to grow, so it's a good time to snap them up for a relatively cheap price, kick out all the upper management and try to sanitize the brand then milk it for all its worth.

Advertisement