Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Jesus, it really is mental the size of the market for mobile games.

Bloomberg news are saying this is expected to be a long drawn out process that will take years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does this also mean Wolfenstein 2009 will finally return to stores again?

He doesn't report to Phil Spencer just yet. I have no doubts he will be sacked once the deal is complete. It's what gamers expect and credit to Xbox in recent years, they give gamers what they want.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sacked, with a few hundred million in his pocket i'm sure. Wish i could get sacked like that 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

$70 billion or so means that it's around 5 or 6 Zygnas. The stock market is mental.

Anyway, it's some turn around for Xbox. It wasn't too long ago that people were legit asking whether they were going to leave the market altogether. Now they've spent almost 75 billion just on acquisitions in the space of a year. Phil Spencer is some man for turning that around.

Console hardware's days are numbered. You'll soon have an xbox app on your TV. Consoles will become a streaming client for those who want better performance (a TV is going to give you lowest settings) along the lines of nVidia Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd actually be surprised if Microsoft made CoD exclusive. Other games I can see, particularly anything single player, but it's not really worth to do it on multiplayer games. The amount those games make in microtransactions in particular would be huge, and if only a certain amount of the overall player base has CoD, then BF will just pass it straight out as the FPS of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What will happen is Microsoft will announce that they are willing to launch an app for GP on PlayStation but the final decision will be down to Sony wether they allow them on their console.

This does two things

- if Sony say no they become the bad guys and Microsoft say we tried.

- if Sony say yes then Microsoft have access to the PlayStation ownership base to sell their subscription.

Microsoft wins either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This. Even Sony have been pushing this with PS Now and their acquisition of Gaikai. There was even talk of the sony entertainment hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That and Raven get to make a new Hexen/Heretic.

And a rerelease of Heretic 2. I never realised that it was considered a minor classic and never got to play it.

Over 7 billion people in the world. 70 billion purchase price. 10 dollars or so per head except the majority don't play so...Microsoft isn't paying 70 billion, You couple of hundred million gamers are going to be paying. It will be like Football on TV where you accept that Sky will extort a fee from you or else satisfy yourself with conference league matches. If you can't afford your subscription where are you going to get your dopamine rush you gamer junkies.

They were in talks with Nintendo to being it to the Switch but it didn't progress. I don't think the details were revealed but for some reason they couldn't bring the "xbox eco system" and that was a deal breaker. Presumably something about what dash was used or maybe what account you use. I'd doubt Sony would be any more accommodating about bring the xbox ecosystem to playstations.

Stranger things have happened when money is involved. Lots of money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's no way the sales agreement doesn't include a clause that gives Kotick a massive golden parachute/handshake. And very likely a requirement that he sod off prompt once the deal's gone through. MS won't like the coverage he attracts, they'll pay to make him and it go away.

PlayStation games on Game Pass makes more sense to me than bringing Game Pass to PlayStation. Sony could literally name their price. They've been pimping out streaming rights to their movies to the highest bidder, if they want to survive they will probably need to docthe same with PlayStation games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

If Gamepass were to ever come to Playstation consoles then I'd imagine it'd be a very specific version of the service and not just what is currently available on Xbox/PC i.e. anything available to buy on Playstation wouldn't be on that Gamepass, so it would be just the Xbox exclusives, though clearly that library is growing rapidly.

Be a good while before that happens though, if ever. It'll be interesting to see how things stand towards the end of this console generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Way more interesting to me that all that Activision noise .

Death's Door also coming to Game pass 😀

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They'll add COD to Game Pass, but still allow it on PlayStation at full price. That'll be enough to draw a fairly large portion of players to xbox.

Oh for sure. And we'll all be glad to see the back of that massive tool.

• Advertisement

Worthy of a big announcement all on its own 😀 Another one I don't have to buy, Jesus christ there's too many games to play. I gotta get this bloody Valhalla finished!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I can see EA being next. They're targeting U.S. companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Its easy for MS once cloud streaming on tvs becomes viable ( which it will) make cod game pass only, then you get the subscribers from that, majority of people who play COD dont really care where they play it only where their mates play it and if they all jump ship to gamepass its where the people will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I remember being really surprised back when xbox relinquished the timed exclusivity for COD DLC, granted, the games has change in the last few years, with the advent of battle passes and free DLC, but it always struck me as a peculiar misstep, timed around the release of the already embattled xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Are King still making big hitting mobile games?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Whoever was saying that were morons with no clue whatsoever. Gaming is incredibly lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The fantastic franchises across Activision Blizzard will also accelerate our plans for Cloud Gaming, allowing more people in more places around the world to participate in the Xbox community using phones, tablets, laptops and other devices you already own

This is the part that piqued my interest, other devices could mean anything. Especially if they're pushing into cloud hard.

I think it was genuinely a possibility. It was Nadella that saved Xbox by bringing it into the cloud business.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness though given how disastrous the Xbox One launch was and how far they fell behind Playstation at that point, it wouldn't have been an unreasonable jumping off point. It was mostly through a huge course correction, giving so much power to Phil Spencer, the move to Gamepass, and the huge financial warchest they were given to facilitate all this that they've been able to pull back to where they are now.

• Advertisement

Now here's a problem that really really needs to be resolved. I've not played multi player fps on game pass yet, but for Forza Horizon the ever ever so slight lag is still enough to ruin your game. This could be a deal breaker for COD gamers (which I am one). Theres no way I'm streaming it just to become cannon fodder.

Advertisement