Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your “Must Have” WFH equipment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Oh yeah. Forgot about this but I did it too. A bright white light rather than the warm light. Now have cool lights in the kitchen and the 2 offices in the house (really the parlour room and the spare bedroom). Sitting room and bedrooms have the warm bulbs.

Doesn't strain the eyes as much and feel more alert. There's a reason offices don't have the yellow/warm lights. Very bad for your eyes while on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

3 x Energizer Led 13.2w = 100w 6500k Daylight White Bayonet Cap Fitting High Tech Energy Saving Light Bulbs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NALH2KE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_PRYJSVT4AWSVR2ZQ5B17?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ones I got. Sitting here at 17:00 pitch black outside and my office is like it’s broad daylight! A must have 👍

Ohh, I like that desk. Might upgrade the legs on mine to those and just keep the existing table top

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Decent sized desk, comfy office chair, decent small printer, laptop, mouse, monitor, desk, lamp, set of headphones for teams calls.

For me a small press for storing bits, and a few shelves for books/files etc, shredder oh and an electric heater are very useful also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Aside from all the tech stuff, comfy chair and a decent desk, it's imperative you try your best to make a comfortable work-space. You're going to be sitting there for some 8+ hours.

Years ago I worked for Apple from home, and I was miserable. It wasn't the job itself as such, although it was shocking, it was more that I had a really small and cramped work space. In my new job, the company has provided all the basics, keyboard + mouse and all that stuff, but I repainted the living room to make the colours better, added in some back light behind the screens to lower the eye strain.

Absolutely worth a day or two of effort to get it all set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I have no printer . Miss it badly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

A Woolie.......so I can 'slob' around the house. (except when I have a Zoom coming up!).

https://www.wooliee.com/products/navy-wooliee

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

essential for me at any rate- if you are preparing any documents or sending stuff to customers I like to print out and read sometimes.

And for work travel I’d use it too often just as back up. Don’t think I could work without one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jura coffee machine.

large screen.

voip phone.

adjustable chair (very adjustable)

headphones.

decent wifi or forget it.

wireless keyboard and mouse (so I don’t break the laptop in a fit of frustration)

a decent adjustable (brightness) lamp.

space on the desk.

TV and radio.

printer.

a couch for those contemplative moments😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Why would you take that off just for a zoom! Share the link with your colleagues, they'll all buy one, then you never have to take yours off cos they won't either!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A fan or air con for when it's war as you can't have confidential calls with windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's all I need.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My WFH space is small so I had to settle for a smaller desk than I'd like - got one from https://ministryofmakers.ie/product-category/home-desks/

Employer provided separate laptop, office chair, mouse & keyboard. I use headphones for Zoom calls.

I take the desk down at weekends and put away the equipment. The room already has a couch and I'm in there every evening anyway watching TV, playing records and using personal laptop.

Pre Covid, I worked from home one or two days a week but sat on the couch and used my personal laptop. After a couple of weeks of permanent WFH, I got all the above equipment which has made life easier. I could do with a second monitor but space on the desk doesn't permit.

My office is doing two days in mandatory after Covid. I'm lucky I can do what I like and don't fall into that so continuous work from home :)

Headsets annoy me, get yourself a good USB speaker with built in microphone. A certified one depending if your using zoom or teams or other.

Two monitors for doing work or you'll drive yourself man.

A third monitor or TV for watching Movies or TV shows hooked up to your own firestick/Sky/Netflix/tablet/laptop etc on the same desk. It makes it feel like your not working. Trust me it's **** fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

My bed

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dual monitors

Decent adjustable chair

Headset with mic for calls

Seperate mouse and keyboard if using laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Thanks! That might be an option - hadn't considered that. The work laptop is one screen so just need a separate monitor. Spacewise, might fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Outside of my home office set up (lucky to have a dedicated space), I purchased a portable monitor that connects via USB-C and it powered by my laptop, so when I want a change of scenery and want to double screen it's takes a minute to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Dual monitors (with built in USB C Hub so just one wire connection to laptop) mounted on dual monitor arms to save space

One of these baby's. It's a saviour if you are on calls all day like me

Decent chair and good desk with enough space

Good mouse, Bluetooth rechargeable preferably, and Bluetooth keyboard. In fact I Just purchased this one.

It helps being the head of IT!!

Work does regular ergonomic assessments so its great to get that help from them as otherwise people would be hunched over a tiny laptop on the sofa and crippled after a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I project to my personal laptop screen so it gets used as a secondary monitor, as I was thinking of getting a portable screen and then considered why, when I have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have 4 monitors. If you have only ever worked off a single monitor, your mind would be blown by having a few. That would be no. 1. Have at least 2 monitors. Some people go for an ultra wide monitor and just snap different apps into sections of the screen, I tried it but find multiple monitors is better for me.

I got a standing desk and a couple of anti-fatigue mats plus some slippers. Any of these without the other is tough, particularly on wooden floors. Even with the soft foam anti-fatigue mat, after a while your feet get sore.

A decent chair is a must too.

That's about it. Everything else is just nice to have, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Are they side by side in a row or two rows of two? All the same brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Use your tv as a second monitor if you are anyway close to it. It really helps if your job requires two screens. Also helps with throwing teams calls on it if someone is sharing. All you need is a long hdmi cable.

Not ideal for everyone. But for me, working in the sitting room and the coffee table and couch nearby it really helps.

Another tip is that if you are using two monitors (tv or monitor) you can cast a pure white screen video from YouTube on one to allow more light on your face on teams calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Having my two monitors mounted on poles gives me more desk space.

A speaker phone gives me a break from wearing head phones.

head phones are wireless and noise cancelling. Neighbours dogs can be distracting without them and I can go to bathroom during calls.

Laptop Riser for Laptop as I use it as a third screen.

Good Mouse and Mouse Mat

Foot rest for when I can sit back on calls that I don’t use camera.

Biros. Always loads of biros at the office but ran out of them at home.

Not equipment but the discipline to finish work on time and not looking at laptop until next morning is also needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I've been WFH for 90% of the time for the last 5 years ... my wife has been doing it for about 11 years. So we are well set up at this stage.

We live rurally and our house is quite large - work circumstances meant we didn't have to endure the rat race in and out of Dublin so moved out of the city to have a bigger house for kids and dogs.

The house has a dedicated office on the ground floor which she has been using and I have converted one of the spare bedrooms in to my office / cave.

So over the years I have:

Large desk with 27" Screen, Dock for MacBook and wireless keyboard / mouse and proper webcam

HomePod for music / radio / phone calls

Wall mounted TV with Sky Q when there is golf, F1or news worth watching during the day.

Couch and small coffee table so I'm not at desk when I don't have to be

Small scalextric track mounted on board that slides out from under the couch

Surface Studio desktop on another desk with Logitech G920 steering wheel and pedals for some Rally / F1 action when needed.

Telescope & Binoculars to look at wildlife and sea to pass time

Do Not Disturb sign to hang on the door when on calls to make sure kids don't interrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

My current WFH equipment (apart from a desk & chair) consists of a laptop(with a camera on it), monitor, a keyboard & a mouse (neither of which are wireless), a USB port hub & a headset connected by cable to the laptop/usb port hub.

I have my laptop to the side and if I go on Teams call, I tend to move the laptop over in front of the monitor so I am looking into the laptop camera when on a call. This is a bit of a pain in the hole to be honest.

I tend to not use the laptop screen for work, and just use the single monitor.

How would I go about closing the laptop down and still be able to work away? As on a previous laptop, if I closed the laptop everything closed on the monitor.

I really must look to get a wireless keyboard & mouse, as the wires are a bit of nuisance. Can any recommend a relatively cheap, but solid wireless keyboard & mouse?

Also, I may get a webcam to put on the monitor to save me having to move the laptop over so I can look face into it for calls.

• Advertisement

Webcam and wireless bits, 100%.

How would I go about closing the laptop down and still be able to work away? As on a previous laptop, if I closed the laptop everything closed on the monitor.

On your laptop, go to start, search for "power" and go through the settings there. You should see an option for "when laptop closes do...." and a few options like sleep, shutdown, nothing etc

Advertisement