Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel to usa currently?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The news media and PBS news hour have both reported that Biden has just opened the US for business and vacation travel for those vaccinated from the EU and UK. They did not mention any exceptions regarding mandatory vaccinations by age, medical conditions, religion, personal choice, etc. There were no testing alternatives mentioned. You cannot test and avoid vaccinations. Vaccinations were mandatory. I would strongly recommend that you contact the US Embassy in Dublin and confirm all terms and conditions for travel to and from the US from Ireland before making plans, booking flights, Hotels, etc. And because there has been a history of changing policies whenever a scientific report occurs, you might want to stay in contact with the embassy.

Also, as mentioned above, some hotels, resorts, theme parks, sporting events, retailers, states, counties, and cities may pose additional requirements or restrictions (masking, social distancing, number allowed inside a building, testing, etc.), so include them in your planning.

Official vaccination documentation has been very important. Make sure you have such documentation for each person traveling with you.

Post edited by Fathom on

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

Anybody travelling prior to Christmas?

Am I correct in saying to board a flight you need the following along with usual documents:

• Vaccination pass
    • Negative PCR or Antigen (I've one booked 4 hours before departure time in Dublin Airport)
    • Attestation form - what is this? Locator form?
    • US PLF form - what is this? Something do with ESTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Won't people need a negative test to get back into Ireland now, possibly facing quarantine?

Yes, looks like an antigen will do.

No mention of quarantine?

Is it the responsibility of the airline to check COVID test prior to boarding?

Say I, an Irish citizen, want to return to Ireland. The Irish govt requires a negative test, but the airline probably doesn't care. If I could board the plane and fly home, can the govt (or immigration) prevent me from entering Ireland without a test?

Or are quarantine hotels in the law now?

I can't remember..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

Thank you @Padre_Pio yes I am.

Regarding the now required test on return I'm outside the 72 hours so from what I see online there is a testing centre at Terminal 5 in JFK.

Seems to be 'free' at that one with others in the airport charging $179 for an antigen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Surely if you get a positive test you have to quarantine there, in this case the US, you could hardly be allowed on to a plane home?

My question was about even getting a test.

Say this rule come in on Friday. Will Verifly update between now and then and ask to upload a result? Will all airlines be required to check?

I'm just wondering if this is checked on the Irish side.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

Given that earlier in the pandemic the Irish government successfully imposed a rule that you couldn't travel more than 5km from your home, I'm guessing they can do whatever they want. But Ireland isn't Australia so a ban on citizens returning seems unlikely...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

I imagine like with anything before that - airlines will be responsible for checking your test results before departure and I am sure verifly will be updated in time. You won’t get on the plane without negative test. Same as flying to US - you won’t get on the plane without vaccination card and negative test results (with some exceptions which don’t apply to most), all checked by airlines at check in, nothing is checked again in US not sure if you will be checked again in Dublin upon landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

Airlines don’t care - that’s a funny one, they ll be responsible for bringing you back if you are denied entry. As well as verifly this is a great site to check - https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/IE-Ireland-(Rep.)-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm that’s exactly what a person checking you in on your flight sees. Interesting, right now it says pcr test and no mention of antigen, I am sure it didn’t get updated yet. You can check any country you are traveling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It will 100% be checked by the airline before boarding. You likely won't even get a boarding pass without providing a negative test (or positive test that's older than 11 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Flew into Dublin yesterday morning from the US, had downloaded the Verifly app so had my negative antigen test, vaccination status and passenger locator form all done through that app. Checked in online and when it came to the bag drop there was a separate verifly line with aer lingus and I just had to show my passport and the app. when it came to going through passport control in Dublin they only wanted to see my passport, didn't want to see anything else, said they would spot check random people for their covid info is all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Covid 19 Information from US Embassy Dublin. Last updated: 12/16/2021:

"Effective December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel."

Link with very detailed information.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Once again make sure to check the latest developments at the US Embassy in Dublin before making plans to travel to America. Covid variations spreading in the USA are affecting travel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19 in the form of a positive COVID-19 viral test on a sample taken no more than 90 days prior to departure and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or public health official stating that the passenger has been cleared for travel.

From the CSC website, so does a HSE covid recovery cert work or do you need a letter to say you're ok to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

there is a thread with a lot of posts on this subject in the travel forum. cant tell you what the correct way is but you may find it there

Advertisement