Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

If someone gets a positive antigen, uploads the data and then goes for a confirmatory PCR are we not then double counting cases?

Or if I do two antigen tests on consecutive days and upload both, is that possible?

The only metric we should be looking at now is the hospital numbers. Forget daily case numbers now, do them weekly if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Why are antigen test results of less significant that they can be discounted?

Fantastic stuff

Get rid of it for international travel within Europe next hopefully in time for summer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PCR tests once they've checked and duplicates removed have been standard data since March 2020. It's not clear whether these antigen tests undergo the same level of analysis or really what they show but they do at least offer some disease prevalence information.

• Advertisement

So in your view a positive antigen result is of little value and should not count in the daily figures?

I was under the impression that under 40s are being encouraged to do antigen only in order to free up PCR capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not what I said at all but you've clearly decided I did. The PCR process is clear and maintains a "chain of evidence" but how this antigen test uploaded data works is not clear. My guess is that it's for very general tracking especially as we can't see what positivity levels are at work to compare with PCR. TBH the positivity is all that matters out of any of the case numbers now but if you have information on the antigen test process please share so that we can all learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I'm almost afraid to hope that the Government will actually do what they're kite flying about this week, it would be fantastic. If Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Greens lift the Covid Cert requirement domestically as they should due to what's happened with the arrival of Omicron, they'll get my vote and many others votes back. March 31st a long time to wait, and if there's one thing we've all learned from Covid is to make hay while the sun shines. We'll be ok now until Autumn, time to maximise that and organise a proper health strategy for the vulnerable next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

to me, 31st of March is meaningless. Just like 18th of October. Can't believe a word from them

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Keep in mind that it was only two weeks ago that MM told the press that boosters would be required for the domestic covid passport “in the fullness of time.” Trusting these people after two years of being jerked around should be nearly impossible. Voting for them again… I can’t really understand how the same parties who implemented divisive legislation removing said legislation makes them suddenly electable again. It’s like trusting a feral dog whose already spent quite a while gnawing on your leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

For a start we don't really know how many people with positive antigen tests might fail to report them; also we don't know the positivity rate. and finally there is the possibility of double-counting referred to in an earlier post.

You can't really add apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

In addition, on Monday 17 January,

5,916* *

people registered a positive antigen test through the HSE portal.

* * These data are provisional and are not directly comparable with laboratory PCR confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases registered through the HSE Covid Care Tracker.

Statement from the National Public Health Emergency Team - Tuesday 18 January

And they even tweet that in the thread reporting the cases

Lots of people are walking around with Covid leading normal lives, they are not bothering to register positive cases because they have no symptoms and refuse to lose a days wage.

Its finally over, thank God.

Open up NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You get more microphones in your face with drip feeding.

As you said it's a game for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭corkie

“This pandemic is nowhere near over and with the incredible growth of omicron globally, new variants are likely to emerge, which is why tracking and assessment remain critical,” Tedros said.

WHO says omicron won’t be last Covid variant as global cases surge by 20% in a week

Van Kerkhove said now is not the time to relax public health measures, such as masks and physical distancing. She called on governments to strengthen those measures to bring the virus under better control and head off future waves of infection as new variants emerge.

“If we don’t do this now, we will move on to the next crisis,” Van Kerkhove said. “And we need to end the crisis that we are currently in and we can do that at the present time. So don’t abandon the science. Don’t abandon the strategies that are working, that are keeping us and our loved ones safe,” she said.

Van Kerkhove called on governments to invest more in surveillance systems to track the virus as it mutates. “This won’t be the last variant of concern,” she said.

Hoping NPHET and our gov is not listening to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They need to say we can drop most restrictions between this weekend and following 2 to 3 weeks. The useless Covid passes need to go sooner rather than later.

For the most part, I do not hold the behaviour of FF/FG/Greens in high regard during the mid to latter part of this pandemic. No action from them will redeem the damage done, and they are not worthy recipients of my future votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nearly forcing Mícheál's hand there.

Ultimately once an end date is in sight for the COVID certs they'll become meaningless.

If they announce at the start of March an end date of 31st, then virtually nobody will be arsed checking them.

They might try to bring it all in together, make the St Patrick's festival a celebration of the end of most restrictions.

I expected there'd be no parade this year, but it all seems to be going ahead so 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭blackcard

The ESRI survey last week was interesting. 69% of people agreed with the current levels of restrictions, 20% said there should be tougher restrictions, 11% said restrictions were too severe. I imagine the results would be different if a survey was carried out now. Still it seems that this thread was not in line with the general public's wishes then. "Let it rip" will get you 30 plus "Thanks",

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The policy has been to let it rip the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't know if it is policy exactly but it is certainly happening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I just want the 6k who uploaded a positive antigen test today to know that I consider them nothing but grasses & traitors to the Irish State

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's starting to look a whole lot like the Spanish flu. Arrived in February 1918 and ended in April 1920 when it became a mild endemic virus.

A part of me is a little disappointed that the Omicron numbers are reducing so rapidly. Omicron was providing huge numbers of natural immunity very fast. And I got it myself before anyone accuses me of wishing illness on others.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

The Irish people need all restrictions to be dropped to show them that nothing terrible will happen when restrictions are abolished .The sky won't fall down . There appears to be a paralysis in this country with an unhealthy amount of the population so conditioned to restrictions that the thought of none incites high anxiety. This isn't January 2021 and most are treble vaccinated now. What exactly are people scared of now ? It's completely irrational . Serious post traumatic stress disorder with large swathes of our population by the looks of this polling .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There is a huge amount of Covid fear around still. Mostly irrational but it does exist. It will take time for people to adjust but I agree that we need to reclaim normality as soon as possible.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Scotland announced today that they're ending all restrictions so there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't follow suit this week.

Sure weren't we told when Sturgeon was increasing restrictions that we should follow Scotland's lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

After two years of what some might consider over zealous caution I actually find this narrative from the same government almost a bit weird!

I’m not saying this is the case, but It’s as if they’re a bunch of teenagers and they’ve been caught out on a really bad lie, and they’re on a charm offensive to try to win you over before the full extent of the lie / mess is revealed.

There will be some people getting thrown under the bus in the coming days, weeks and months if it hasn’t started already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

906 in hospital as of 8pm, 93 in ICU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Hmm Christine Loscher on Prime Time stating it’s ‘too early to say’ if Covid Certs can be dropped, this is not true in my opinion after the mass exposure of the population to Omicron.

The media here are absolutely shocking and it should be investigated how it’s come to be that they’ve promoted citizens rights been taken indefinitely, why they are consistently taking this position and what they stand to gain from doing this.

Meanwhile the U.K. will be mostly Covid cert free shortly.

Advertisement