Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda waste price increase again.

• 18-11-2021 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

My standing charge is going from €110 to €146, general waste bin going from €8.70 to €9.48.

As the waste industry is running a cartel is there any point in shopping around?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep it’s bullshit. We don’t have any alternatives available so they charge what they like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'm on payg and have been switched to panda from my existing company

No prices I can see on pandas website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Treppen

With people recycling more and more they're losing on the black bins. I haven't put out black bin in 3 weeks. Used to be every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Were those price increases communicated by email to you OP? I got an email from them on 09-Nov with subject Customer Update playing the poor mount with increasing costs and sustainability but there was no details of the actual price increases on standing charge or general waste lift costs. The only reference to price increases was as follows:

"While we have absorbed the majority of these costs internally, unfortunately from December 1st, there will be an increase of 4.8% to your current prices. This change will see an average customer’s price increase by €1.20 per month."

The email was so vague I just assumed it was in relation to recycling waste only for which I have a lift cost of €0.80 and a price per kg of €0.045. My standing charge is currently €110 but general waste lift cost is €9.05 so surprised yours is lower at €8.70.

So if I take my email statement with the price increase of 4.8% to cover everything I'm assuming my standing charge will increase to €115 which is somewhat manageable as i have been paying the same rate for the last 5 years but €146 is preposterous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Finding that one green bin isn't even close to enough. The amount of packaging is crazy

• Advertisement

I reckon they wanted more soft plastics so they could sell it on for incineration.

Recycling me hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm guessing because I went from fingal County Council bin collection to panda before the deregulation I'm on the lower charge,it shows the whole set up is a money racket..

Here's my lad calculating the price rise.

Post edited by Phil.x on

Thanks, that's word for word the same as the email I received apart from the paragraph regarding the price increases which I had copied in my earlier post for reference. The whole thing is so poorly worded and yours even more so as "your service charge will be updated to €18 Half Yearly" reads to me as a significant reduction with updated to being the total you pay similar to the wording on the waste bin lift charge.

How many different pricing plans have they for the same geographic area, surely that's unethical with different customers charged different rates for the same service. I know people in Dublin 14 with Panda who have different prices entirely and even a hefty per Kg cost on the brown bin resulting in them doing all their own composting since it's uneconomical to use.

• Advertisement

Think our standing charge in blanchardstown is €14.50 every 2 months, then we pay by weight on all 3 bins plus a basic charge for lifting the bin, works out at mad money in the end

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That's crazy that they have so many diferent price plans on the same area for the same thing. I don't pay for a brown bun luft, pay by weight for green and a standard €9.05 per lift for the black bin. Standing charge is €55 twice a year.

I also got the email with the following. Hard to know if the 4.8% is on the standing charge, black bin lift, green bin lift by kg or all of the above.

While we have absorbed the majority of these costs internally, unfortunately from December 1st, there will be an increase of 4.8% to your current prices. This change will see an average customer’s price increase by €1.20 per month.

Yep they are the only bin collector available here

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I got that same letter, but a couple of days before it arrived I got a text from Panda that said

We recently sent a letter to notify you of an update to your account. We advised you of the incorrect service charge i error. The correct service charge for your account is € 57.50 half yearly. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Obviously I was a bit confused until I received the letter, but obviously it was a typo rather than a price reduction. It was previously € 55 half yearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Agreed. I see a lot of people with 2 green bins now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Greyhound's fixed price plan worked out well for me. I've only gone over the limit once this year.

My problem is that ALL the neighbours are on Panda, so the Greyhound truck comes up just for me, which narks me a little. But Panda don't seem to have any pricing on their website?

They sound like good value, will they call to any area in blanch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think that's why they asked for soft plastics in green bin. To get a bit more money from the incinerators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Waste collection should never have been commerciaised - it should be viewed as a national service provided to meet a national objective. Instead it was turned into an 'industry' where if we all do what we are supposed to and reduce our waste to the levels required.... the players in the new 'industry' will go our of business... unless they charge us more to collect less. Why for instance do we not ban any non recycle packaging from coming into the country? Is it because the Government can't do anything that might make the 'waste industry' that they have liecensed, less viable?

It is a flawed commercial concept and can only work as a service provided through national necessity and as part of a national plan. It also needs to be managed centrally - it's an admin mess with councils and private operators providing different services and charging different prices in different areas. Some operators in some geographical areas can take items that others don't and charge (or don't charge) different rates.

We hardly re-cycle anyway... we mainly burn or export. It's all a scam.

My bachelor work colleague doesn't use the black bin at all, only the green bin, and the dog gets the food scraps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

My quarterly fee gone from 85 euros to 114 .. that's some jump .

Only have the black and green bins, I thought the change from weekly collection to every two weeks would have dropped the price a few years ago ...didn't happen, I thought all these incineration plants were ment to reduce the price ....nope ....Panda pleading the poor hand yet generating 34 million in profits *irishtimes 🤷🤷

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Quarterly or annual? I'm invoiced half-yearly for the service charge. It was €55 every 6 months and has just gone up to €57.64 for this period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Fuel costs have gone way up, it's simple math that the cost of collection would go up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

I pay €20 a month with Thorntons for alternating weekly lifts of green and black+brown bins. No standing charge. Don't know how that compares to others but someone may find it useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Yeah quarterly ...I rang up to query and she was grand about it said I went overweight 7 times in the last quarter... some leap tho ...will work out at an extra 100+ euro a month ...I feel I'm paying enough and doing my bit with reduce/reuse/recycle

"said I went overweight 7 times in the last quarter... some leap tho ...will work out at an extra 100+ euro a month."

What weight limit, didn't know one existed with Panda. I don't put out the black bin very often but last month it weighed 65kg and there was no additional charges to the per lift cost of €9.05. There is a per kg charge on the recycling bin and looking at my weighted lift summary for the past year the heaviest green bin I put out was 21kg.

What part of D15 are you in and have you the option of paying semi annually or annually to cut down on the standing charge. I'm presuming your standing charge of €85 and now to be €114 covers everything and you don't have a per lift charge on black and green bins like us paying semi annually.

Surprised how many different pricing plans a company like Panda has for slightly different areas within Dublin and even D15. Surely it would streamline their accounts greatly to have everyone on the same price plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

Just to make people aware, Previously when I tried checking on Greyound recycling it was showing as my house was not serviceable.

I have just checked again and it is showing as serviceable.

I live in the Hunters Run area of Clonee.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
Advertisement