Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

That's the entitlement tho isn't it.. completely blind to even considering this might be a problem, even from a tactical pov, never mind a moral one.

That was some interview today. He's fupped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYtITXRZ7Q

Is he usually filmed wearing a mask? Last dash attempt to look responsible lol all about the optics. Prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Could have been wearing it in case he couldn't stop himself laughing like he did in one of the last interviews he did

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hould your whisht Boris!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When is the Sue Gray report out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Torygraph saying a vote of no confidence is likely as soon as tomorrow.

He could be gone by tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Won’t happen until after the sue gray report is published

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought he'd tough it out a bit longer tbh

I suspect his enemies will want to wait till that point anyway.

Perhaps but there comes a point when anchoring yourself to a sinking ship becomes a losing strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boris Johnson is working flat out to get Starmer in to office at the moment.

Given that most Tory MPs will not want that, then Johnson will have to go.

He certainly shi7 the bed with his last 2 interviews/speeches on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I'd say they'll see the report long before it's published so there may well be a pre-emptive strike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Report doesn't matter as much now, he is being called a liar by Tory members, nevermind Tory voters or wider voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They are not so much anchoring themselves to a sinking ship as waiting for the opportune moment to torpedo it. They reckon that the contents of the Gray report will further weaken Johnson's position, and a no-confidence vote is more likely to succeed.

I'm hearing from totally unreliable sources that some in Johnson's camp are thinking something similar. If a vote of confidence is inevitable, they would prefer to have it before the Gray report is issued rather than after. If it comes before the Gray report, they can urge MPs who are in two minds that it would be premature to remove Johnson while the report is still in preparation, that it would make the party look weak and panicked, and even that it would be unfair to Johnson. Those arguments won't be available after the report is issued.

Yes this is the point I was trying to make. But I'm wondering is the triggering of the vote of confidence automatic, i.e. does Brady have to it the minute the 54th letter drops on his mat, or can he say "We'll hold off a week until the Gray report is released and MPs can vote in full knowledge."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SFAIK he must trigger it once the threshold is reached. I don't know how much leeway the rules give him with regard to details like timing. At a guess the rules will say something like "the vote must be held within X days", but I have no idea what number X might be.

The intention there would be to all for practical arrangements - is the threshold reached on Friday night or Monday morning? Is parliament sitting at the time, so MPs are already in London, or must time be allowed for them to come to London? Etc, etc. But I don't think Brady could say "I won't hold the vote until the last permitted day so that the Gray report will have been published"; if the party wanted the vote not to be held until the report was published, they wouldn't have sent in letters before it was published, so that would be Brady attempting to frustrate the MPs calling for a vote, and jockey to arrange matters to favour the leader. That wouldn't be proper, in his role as chairman of the 1922 Committee, which is the vehicle that represents backbenchers, not the leader or the front bench.

The report is nothing but a smokescreen anyway, its not an independent report, Its a report commissioned by Johnson, into Johnson himself.

Originally the investigator was supposed to be a man called Simon Case, the permanent secretary to the Prime Minister. He stepped down when it was discovered that one of the parties he was supposed to be investigating took place in his own office.

Sue Grey is another 'Permanent Secretary' but she is based at number 10, reports to Johnson, and could very well have been at one or more of these parties she is supposed to be investigating.

The only way it will be relevant is because

1. The fact that it exists at all is an indictment of the system. Johnson creating an inquiry into whether he himself knew about parties he has already admitted attending. It's ridiculous
    2. If the report finds against Johnson, it will mean he as absolutely zero support within the Tory party and he is being set up as the fall guy
    Post edited by Akrasia on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Toast? Nah... he's more... Tubby Custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's the picture of the Queen sitting alone that is the money shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It certainly has the feeling of the last days of TM about it.

Whether they get the 54 letters, whether the SG report is able to be spun to let Johnson draft his responsibility, there is no doubt that he authority is gone. Sunak has been extremely slow, and measured, in any support for Johnson. Truss etc, while saying they have confidence, all are saying wait for the Gray report, which is pretty implicitly accepting that they are looking for some type of get out of jail card.

Raab has tried, go bless him, but even he took the line that whatever happened he wasn't there or even invited, so already looking to distance himself from it.

And that lack of authority will bleed into the decision making process in Cabinet. His colleagues know his days are numbered, and Johnson knows he now is completely reliant on their support. So Johnson won't actually be leading, he will be accepting whatever compromise he can get from others.

Far from the benefits of power with out the responsibility, he will have ended up with all the responsibility and none of the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Johnson's long history of racism, xenophobia, misogyny and homophobia not to mention conspiring to have someone assaulted is all fine though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If asked a week ago, I'd have said, Boris will survive but he looked liked a broken man yesterday when grilled by Sky's, Beth Rigby, then this morning, great back and forth between, Tory MP Andrew Bridgen and trhat odious clown, Alistair Campbell on Claire Byrnes show.

Boris is Toast , its likely the required letters have been sent into Tory HQ and Andrew Bridgen, who actually supported Boris, reckons no confidence early next week.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The bad news just keeps coming for Johnson:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Getting savaged at PMQ's from all sides

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Advertisement