Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Ulster Bank to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I was in PTSB earlier to enquire about switching to them.

The lady their advised me that accounts from Ulster bank that havent yet switched closer to when Ulsterbank exit the market will be automatically switched over to PTSB anyway. She was also telling me that they will even be sending some employees to Ulsterbank branches closer to the time to help with this process.

I was surprised to hear this as I havent heard anything about that before, has anyone else been told or heard anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I never mentioned anything about a mortgage to her. She did tell me she only found out about it herself today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

PTSB and UB don't have an agreement for personal current or saving accounts.

Sounds like Chinese whispers.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

Personal customers will be given 6 months notice to close accounts.

If you don't close it, UB will and they will send you a cheque.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

ANother UB customer looking for options. Joined when I got a Henry Hippo money box and school pack in the early 80's and been a customer ever since! Love the App and disappointed to see none of others are a patch on it.

Main banking use is get my salary paid in, a few bill by standing order and a transfer to Revelot about once a month, which I then use for day to day spending. Maybe one cash withdrawal ever 3 or 4 months. Also would probably have a bank transfer to a friend or buying something every month or so and the App was handy for that but Revelot is taking over a lot of my use for this

Probably going to wait as long as I can without switching and hopefully an easy option appears! I am not really that fussy who i end up with - if one of them developed a good app then I probably would choose them. Whoever it is will earn a lot more from me in bank charges then UB ever did!!

Yea it didnt sound right to me, seems like the lady was bare faced lying to me today. Putting me off PTSB straight away if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Is yours by any chance a small business account ? If so then it may be transferred to PTSB, as PTSB are acquiring some of Ulster Bank's small business accounts. They are not acquiring Ulster Banks retail business (i.e. personal account holders). The following is an overall summary of what is happening:

Ulster bank have said repeatedly: Beginning in early 2022, on a rolling basis, we will start to give current and deposit account customers formal letters of notice of up to six months, to choose a new bank; move to that bank; and close their Ulster Bank accounts. If no action is taken, customer accounts will be closed with a cheque issued for any remaining balance.

AIB is acquiring €4.2 billion of performing Ulster Bank corporate and commercial loans (Large commercial business)

PTSB is acquiring (1) The performing non-tracker residential mortgage book of Ulster Bank (approximately €7.0 billion) (2) The performing micro-SME (“Business Direct”) loan book of Ulster Bank (approximately €230 million) and (3) The entire Lombard Asset Finance loan business of the Ulster Bank (approximately €400 million)

PTSB is also acquiring 25 branches from Ulster Bank’s branch network and taking some staff. (Note that PTSB is acquiring the branch buildings and the some related staff, not the accounts – the accounts will need to be transferred by the account holder or they will be closed by Ulster Bank and a cheque issued for the balance).

No final announcement has been made in relation to either performing tracker mortgages (AIB has been mentioned as a possible destination)  or non performing mortgages. 

Note that PTSB's website states: Your Ulster Bank Current Account will not transfer automatically to Permanent TSB as current accounts are not included in the transaction agreement. 

Most of the above is subject to approval by the CCPC (The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Friend is/was with UB - he has moved to EBS and just about got all the direct debits etc switched over. also has N26 (pretty much since they opened to Ireland)

Simple standing order to N26 with money for living and sorted - free banking. 10 euro for the debit card

The N26 app is way beyond anything the Irish banks offer

We've both been using N26 for years now and couldn't be happier - you could go just N26 but the only caveats being no physical presence (which most banks seem to want in Ireland anyway) and some of the backward payment systems in Ireland that will only (illegaly) accept Irish bank account numbers so need to check that before switching wages over etc.

Thanks...

No it is just a personal account.

To be honest I think they have been busy with customers looking to switch, and maybe they are trying to put them off from trying to do it in branch.

She did try and ask me to download the app first and do it that way (I have a Huawei phone and cant get the app)

Then she started spinning me the story about accounts being transferred to PTSB anyway.

• Advertisement

I see EBS are now examining their products with a view to concentrate on their mortgage business only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I switched from Ulster Bank to AIB a couple of months ago, without too much hassle.

Be aware, that AIB won't automatically supply a credit card, and you will have to wait six months to get one.

I kept my UB credit card and supplied the credit card department with my AIB IBAN details. However, they have not taken any direct debits from it and I am now getting default letters from UB credit card. I have called their number five times and have been assured that they would rectify the problem, but am still getting the late payment letters.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am worried that the very small amount on my credit card is going to affect my credit history which was AI before this debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The statement “You will have to wait six months to get one” is incorrect. I made an appointment in late November with an AIB branch to open a current account, deposit account and a credit card. The current account and deposit account were opened on the day I visited the branch. The bank assistant said that my Credit Card application would be handled over the phone and arranged an appointment for me for the following day. I received a call from AIB’s Credit Card department and went through a lengthy application process over the phone. The application was successful and I had my AIB credit card two weeks later.

Not surprised that UB failed to update your DD arrangements. Based on my experience with them over the last few weeks while closing my accounts, they are rapidly descending into chaos. It appears that they are totally overwhelmed and are running around like headless chickens. And I say that as someone who has banked with them for decades and always believed them to be head and shoulders above AIB, BOI etc when it came to customer service, reliability etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Surely a new direct debit mandate would be required given that the debiting account has changed?

Also - it is not mandatory to pay your UB credit card bill by direct debit. You can pay manually via tear-off portion of bill OR via internet banking (minimum payment, full balance or other amount). If there's an issue with the new direct debit, you need to take responsibility yourself and at least pay the minimum amount due.

I opened a current account with AIB last week in local branch. Account opened seamlessly & quickly. Professional & friendly service. Was able to open a savings account myself via their app the following day. Will do all the switching of direct debits, standing orders and recurring payments myself over the next couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I finally got a competent member of UB and she has rectified the problem.

I don't get a bill, and direct debit was the best option for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

I switched from UB to PTSB as we have our mortgage with them so I get 2% back p/m with their Explore account.

I went into a branch to do the switch, very happy with the customer service in branch and the switching process.

But I have to say I'll really miss UB. Their app and online banking is light years ahead, and the customer service phone lines are answered within a few rings usually. PTSB, I've found myself waiting 10 minutes+ sometimes. With UB, I had the UFirst account, which had some good benefits like 25% back off ticketmaster booking (less beneficial in recent years I suppose for obvious reasons, but was good when I was going to multiple concerts every year).

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I was going to go EBS route but the recent rumors about them put me off. In the end I've decided to go with BOI , I prefer their Infront fees instead of AIB's. I started the online process of opening the account on Wednesday evening and received my new account number yesterday, so less than 2 days to get the account open. I hope to have the card and pin early next week.

I only have a few debit debits with ESB for power and gas , virgin broadband. All of which I can switch myself online. I'll switch my wages there too soon enough.

I'll keep the UB for certain other payments I receive and probably switch them to my Revoult account when the UB service shuts down. It'll be interesting to see how getting an Irish banking license will broaden the service they can offer.

Like others I'll miss UB too, I always found thier customer service good. I got 3 mortgages and 2 car loans through them. They where always the most competitive option for me. I like thier app but that's not a huge issues for me. Just sad to see another established facility leave Ireland and Irish customer with less choice. I'm lucky to have an AIB and BOI branch near me , having a physical bank to go to is important to me but I'm getting the feeling there will be less and less of these as the push for online banking continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭amargar

Jumping on this thread, I use Revolut for day to day banking but I need an Irish bank to pay the bills and to keep the emergency fund on. Only for that, what's the best recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭crinkley

I'm going with EBS as I simply need somewhere to have my wages paid into and 3 direct debits, revolut for everything else. If they change to purely mortgage only I'll switch again but I'm not paying monthly fees for the rare off chance I may have to visit a building, haven't set foot in a bank in over 5 years, and that was only because someone gave me a cheque, which UB in NI will now let you do with their app anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

How will you manage not paying fees if changing from EBS? There won't be an option not to pay if you'll need to use an Irish bank.

BOI 6 Euro a month, most things then free.

PTSB 6 Euro a month, most things then free and 10c go back for each online or POS transaction.

AIB 4.50 Euro per quarter plus 20c POS chip & pin, contactless free, 20c online transactions, online purchases, DD's, SO's, 35c ATM.

I have moved to PTSB recently from KBC and are shocked how old school they are. Now in the process of changing to AIB and I will run away from PTSB.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping at that stage Revolut will have their Irish licence which appears to be in the process as they will soon be offering loans, in that case I'll exclusively use them. Thats if EBS stop current account, only rumours at this stage

Revolut will never have an Irish license, those plans were dropped.

Sorry I just checked it’s not an Irish licence it’s an ecb licence which guarantees up to 100k, that was always my issue with revolut the protection of funds and so have just used it for day to day spending

I'm going to use my credit union, I already have a budget account with them, which pays most bills, I'll use revolut for anything else. No fees 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

I think there is also a charge of around €3 on each transaction from the budget account in Credit Union.

Not in my credit union, maybe it depends on the particular credit union?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

Yeah we ended up with PTSB just because Mortgage is going there for now and my partner already had an old account with them.

The app and online just look so old compared to UB.

I already hate not having finger print login for the app (unless I'm missing it somewhere).

Come back Ulster Bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭positron

Reached out to EBS last week to open a current account (my two existing current accounts are with UB and KBC!!) - and EBS tells me it will take 6-8 weeks for them to call me back to open this account.

Is this normal / reflection of the demand or are they just putting it on the long finger to avoid taking new business until they announce whatever they are planning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

Hi Bubblypop, I just checked my account in the Health Services Staffs Credit Union, and there is a charge of €3 every month for a standing order from my budget account. (I thought that I had cancelled this standing order last September!) Only that you mentioned it, it could have been ages before I noticed it. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

demand, Aib have a few months wait to open an account.

Advertisement