Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Any truth in the Jordan Morris to Kingscourt rumours?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

As far as I know, this is the first Meath championship settled by penalties. Drumconrath win the Premier Championship Division 3 title.

We'll play the winners of Laois and Wicklow in next year's Leinster quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It was mentioned on We Are Meath last week. The lads seemed to have it from both sides of the border now. Big blow to Nobber if its true

The We Are Cavan lads did their power rankings this week and talked as if it was a done deal discussing Morris' impact when evaluating Kingscourt so appears they are happy its a done deal.

Did they say anything about him transferring to Cavan for inter county. The Meath lads seemed to think he'd still be in the Meath set up

• Advertisement

Dunboyne ladies are Leinster champions, beating 6 in a row Leinster champions Foxrock Cabinteely by 3 points. Incredible 12 months for ladies football in Meath.

Trim are the only other Meath team remaining, they'll be up against Crossabeg Ballymurn of Wexford in the Intermediate semi final. Tones were beaten by Kilmacud Crokes today with Kildalkey and Boardsmill going down in the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

My father watched the Wolf Tones game and said the ref was very hard on the Tones, in fairness he said Crokes were slightly the better team anyway but gave out stink about the ref.

Didn't see the game but did anyone else see it like that?

Heard that the red card was very harsh (or at least one of the yellows was).

Overall, our senior champions' performances in the Leinster championship has been awful over the last 10-20 years. Since Dunshaughlin won Leinster in 2002, our senior champions have only reached the final once (Skryne in 2004) and have only won a total of 3 games in the last 10 Leinster championships (1 v Louth champions, 2 v Wexford champions). I'm honestly not sure if it's a case of teams prioritizing the county championship and not taking the provincial championship as seriously once it's won but it's a very alarming statistic.

Ballinabrackey/Clonard into the U20 football final after beating Donaghmore/Ashbourne by 2 points. I'm assuming that this is the first time either side has made it to the final in the top grade. Dunshaughlin beat Summerhill by 2 in the other semi final.

Meath ladies nominated for the RTÉ Team of the Year and Vikki Wall nominated for the Sportsperson of the Year.

Bizarre scenes in the U20C semi final on Friday night between St. Pat's and St. Ultan's/Cortown. The referee got fed up of waiting for Pat's to come out from the dressing rooms for the second half so threw the ball up and Ultans/Cortown walked the ball into an empty net.

Pats ended up winning by 4 in the end.

U20 football finals are as follows:

U20 Championship: Clonard/Ballinabrackey v Dunshaughlin

U20A Championship: Wolfe Tones v Dunboyne/Seneschalstown

U20B Championship: Kilbride v Slane/Rathkenny

U20C Championship: St. Patrick's v Drumconrath/Meath Hill

U20D Championship: St. Brigid's v Ballivor

• Advertisement

RIP Martin Quinn, part of Kilbride's golden generation that remarkably won 5 Keegan Cups in the 60s and 70s and a Meath legend.

Probably best known around the area for single handedly getting the 1965 Keegan Cup final abandoned by sitting on the ball and refusing to leave the field after being sent off.

Trim are through to the Leinster Intermediate final after beating Crossabeg Ballymurn of Wexford 2-15 to 0-10. Hopefully they'll be the fourth Meath team to win it after St. Colmcille's, Ratoath and Wolfe Tones. Up against Clara of Offaly in the final.

Dunshaughlin won the U21 championship, 1-1 in injury time snatched the win agonisingly from Ballinabrackey/Clonard. Some performance from the amalgamation. Underdogs from the start but would have deserved to win it outright had it not been for Dunshaughlin's late rally. Dunshaughlin really need to get out of Intermediate as soon as possible if they want to make the most of their talent coming through the ranks.

I was at the Pats and Drumcondrath/Meath Hill Friday night in Donore. It was probably a typical December game, on balance Drumcondrath/Meath Hill deserved the win but could've been bet in the second half if we'd a bit more composure. The bulk of the team is only coming out of minor this year with us so it will stand to them.

While it was good to see the games played I think all the teams deserved more than a one and done rushed championship in December.

It's been this way for years. I remember our lads winning the U21 hurling championship in 2017 on a Wednesday night in Dunganny a few days before Christmas. I'd hope that with the new calendar (hopefully) coming next year that we won't see them run off at this time again, but we'll see.

There was certainly scope to go a bit earlier this year. Even if going early meant you could fit in a group stage it would have been better for lads, I can only speak to what I seen with our own team but I think an extra couple of games would have stood to them ahead of a lot of them going into adult football next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

It's almost 30 years ago at this stage but played an U-21's hurling final in Trim in February against Kilmessan for the year before! We had one training session in the week before it.

At least they played your final in the right year, good to see improvements after 30 years 😄😄

Making progress! Baby steps!

I'm willing to give the county board the benefit of the doubt in that the past two seasons have been massively affected by Covid (and possibly 2022 as well).

Ratoath have appointed ex-Mayo footballer David Brady as senior football manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

The match against Wicklow is off. The reason hasn't been given but i don't think its a jump to say it is Covid related. I wonder will it be refixed because the games are three in a week. Not much space to play it.

Think it's due to Covid in the Wicklow squad, or due to a large number of their squad needing to isolate due to being close contacts.

Not ideal. Can't see there being a window to reschedule so we'd probably be awarded the points, but would have been better to have had the chance to dust off the cobwebs. Laois in Stradbally is this day next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Id say its off cos Meath didnt fancy a scutching at the hands of the Garden County.

Where all the beautiful people come from.

Mickey Newman has hung up his intercounty boots. When fully fit he still put in very good performances, but he's had awful trouble with injuries recently (and supposedly wasn't treated well by the county board during one of them).

Glad I didn't make that trip this evening. I know it's January and it's the first game of the year but that sounded horrific.

Sounded a bit better in the second half, but the forwards were very wasteful. Could be a long year if it isn't improved.

A man of quality in Sierra Leone watching the African Cup of Nations.

Cheers! This is going to sound easy for me to say as I'm not a Nobber man but if the player is looking to get out and driving the move as the article says what benefit is there to keeping him? Surely you'd be better with lads that have their heart and soul poured into it.

Trim are Leinster champions, beating Clara of Offaly 1-15 to 2-8. Third time in six years that the Meath champions have won the Leinster championship. I think they play St. Faithleachs of Roscommon in the semi final.

Bridge too far for Dunboyne ladies as they were hammered by Mourneabbey of Cork who are going for 3 All Irelands in a row.

• Advertisement

No word out yet re what happened in the hearing.

I've actually heard, from a Meath man, at the weekend, that he may want a move to Cavan. Apparently there's a big divide between the North and South Meath factions in the Meath camp?

Advertisement