Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’d like to say it was nice while it lasted. Though In truth it genuinely wasn’t. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, I’m sure the RFU will put aside his appalling behaviour and comments and the black face stuff and virtue signal against the virtue signallers (sponsors bedamned) and bring Jackson into the team. You and another 5 or 10% of the population will own the libs and everyone else will roll their eyes and say it confirms what we long suspected about rugby and old boys…

I assume you missed the recent story about the Irish women’s team and the IRFU letter? The world has changed and rugby’s audience has broadened considerably. Imagine the reaction from women playing the game in England if this was even considered by the RFU. Jackson’s doing well to keep his head down and keep playing. The last thing he needs is to relitigate that episode which he lost spectacularly in the court of public opinion, and that’s the court that matters to the unions and the sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Also paddy Jacksons just not good enough to get imnewr the England squad currently nonsense conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Are you American or what? Blackface is only seen as racist in an American context - or recently in other parts of the Anglosphere because places are becoming increasingly Americanised. I mean, I don't remember anyone batting an eyelid at the Aussie fans dressed up like Radike Samo at 40s in this video from 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZG8YbJpbg Why would anyone want to import PC stuff from another country into places where it has no relevance?

I wonder would there be a case for the IRFU being in contempt of court, for essentially disregarding a unanimous Not Guilty verdict from the jury who heard all the evidence. Probably not. It's probably covered by a clause in his contract about not bringing the game into disrepute.

What do you mean by Jackson's "appalling... comments"?

“There was a lot of spit roast last night.”

“Whole NI squad were out last night.”

“I don’t have a solicitor, who should I contact?”

That's all Jackson's messages.

Yawn. Coersations done he's not going to play internationaly your not going to change that arguing with guys on the Internet I'm not sure what your goal is

• Advertisement

What's your goal in leaving comments on this forum?

Conversations about players who may actually play for Ireland

Okay. I wasn't talking about him playing for Ireland.

Oh, and there's already a precedent for another union picking somebody the IRFU didn't want. Sevu Reece.

It's the Irish team thread. It's literally called ireland team talk

Yeah, and what Ireland's opponents are doing or might do is relevant to that.

• Advertisement

Except its not somethign a rival is or will do

I'd say there's a paddy Jackson thread buried about 3-4 years ago it'd be more relevant there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Talk about tone deaf. Not even 24 hours after a woman was buried after being murdered while out for a run and you post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Someone is trying to be edgy today, if you want to discuss Paddy Jackson start a thread on him.

I dare you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,612 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Richie is a troll

He tried to stir sh!t the other day by bringing blane mcilroy into a conversation.

Suggesting paddy Jackson for England is just trolling one oh one in here.

Don't bite lads

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

This will get a lot of likes, posts like it always do but trying to draw some kind of comparison between the 2 is as disrespectful as anything Richie has said imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Squad announced at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Not even a hint of a squad yet, very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've been someone whose been pro Jackson coming back in the past. I've changed my opinions on that of late. Regardless of the results of the case, I wouldn't be supportive of him playing again for Ireland, given his words and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So England announced 6 new caps.

How many, if any, do we think Andy will announce today?

Can't see there being too many.

Is Coombes capped? Can't remember if he played in the summer or not, but I'd expect him to be there. Maybe a second row? Hard to see Ahern getting in if he isnt playing for Munster in Europe. Niall Murray maybe?

In the backs, could we see Jack Crowley called in? I doubt it. I think the 10s will be 3 from Sexton, R.Byrne, Burns and Carty, but I can see an argument for Crowley.

Outside backs...Frawley (again can't remember if he was capped in the summer) should be there or thereabouts and I really hope Lowry gets picked. Mack Hanson (is he fit) and Ethan McIlroy may be possibilities, not sure Jimmy O'Brien has played enough recently, but he may be part of the conversation.

Anyone else?

I reckon of the above Coombes, Frawley and Lowry get in.

Edit - just checked and Coombes did get capped in the summer...my bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

They announced 6 uncapped players not 6 new caps. Lets see if any of them play. Eddie Jones is very fond of bringing in uncapped players for a squad and then never looking at them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Coombes was capped in the summer. Frawley was only in the squad in the Autumn but didn’t get a cap. I don’t really see too many debutants involved. We’ve a good few guys with single digit caps still. But we will probably see a few in there in a development capacity so Farrell can take a look. Doak, McIlroy and possibly someone like Prendergast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"So England announced 6 new caps.

How many, if any, do we think Andy will announce today?"

The other thing to remember is that the reason the number of uncapped players in Farrell's squad is likely to be so low is because he's already given out so many new caps already. He's given 23 new caps in just 2 years, so direct comparisons to other countries could be flawed in that regard*.

(*Btw, I'm not saying that's the argument / criticism you were making at all, bliston, but wouldn't be surprised if it surfaces on here before the 6 Nations kick-off).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The fact that there will be a bunch of guys with single digit caps and more with less than 2 years in test rugby won't stop a bunch of posters losing their **** over the lack of uncapped players. Farrell will be criticised for being conservative.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,612 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there will be at least one uncapped in both the forwards and backs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fair enough...my bad use of the English language

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

"On another note, I think Kilcoyne is a better option to back up Porter than Healy. To me, Healy looks labored and slow and has lost his power and explosiveness."

People have been saying this for literally years about Healy and it crops up every single season without anything really to back it up.

Healy is undoubtedly not the carrying, physical force he was 2009-2013. But he is pretty much the exact same player who came back from near retirement in 2015. Once his nerve issue settled down and he sorted out/ compensated for his handling issues associated with that he's been amazingly consistent.

Over the last 6 seasons Healy has been one of our most consistent players rarely getting bested in the scrum and carrying in traffic for incremental gains all the while being ever dependable in defence.

He's not the same player that was heir apparent to the 1 shirt for the Lions in 2013 or sitting McCaw on his arse. But the notion that he's slowing down or past it isn't backed up by any real evidence other than the fact he's 34 and in peoples mind that's when players should start slowing down

I don't think a player that can switch over to tighthead more than adequately (including winning penalties) at 34 can be considered someone whose laboured or losing power.

Our years with Healy are numbered and it's only a matter of time before he falls down the pecking order. But if Kilcoyne (only 1 year Healys junior) was the man to do it he'd have done it by now.

Also, Kilcoyne absolutely has slowed recently. His carrying isn’t what it was and he was never great at scrum time. He could well find himself under pressure from someone like EOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I would like to see Ciaran Frawley and Jimmy O'Brien get named too. Both are good players, but they were outstanding last weekend.

Nathan Doak would be a good option as well, but maybe he won't be named as he is still U20.

The main thing as you say is that the likes of Coombes, Balacoune, Sheehan etc who have a couple of caps might get some match time or even a start against Italy

As good as Lowry is for Ulster, he has too much competition with Keenan showing such good form and Jordan Larmour.

Irish Times are running a story that Stockdale is unlikely to be back at all this season. Would be a great shame.

Advertisement