Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

One thing that has constantly irritated me about the NPHET government:

"Eamon Ryan said he did not believe the Government will decide to immediately remove some restrictions today and it is more likely that people will be given advance notice about any changes on Friday."

Businesses absolutely need advance notice of closures because they have obligations to stakeholders that need to be considered.

But they do not need advance notice of being allowed to reopen. Because anybody who is ready now can open now, and anybody who needs more time can just take more time.

They are not the same scenario when it comes to the notice required. So why the **** do the NPHET government keep acting like they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It is annoying to read March 31at as the end of restrictions and then they say "but masks and certs will continue and we can have emergency powers until the end of June"

Why do masks and the certs have to stay? I just don't understand why this can't be a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You don't have a great record either.

You weren't the only one. Some even predicted a lockdown and said that if they were wrong they'd come back with their hands up and say so...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

This is a huge concern, also was reading on RTE yesterday that they can extend the "emergency" till June and then AGAIN for another 6 months - "in case of a new severe variant of concern" - You can see the journalist crossing their fingers and saying PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE as they type that...

So there will be new variants, an infinite amount of them, we still have variants of the Spanish flu - it's called a cold.

So now everytime a new variant emerges it will be "prudent" to re introduce testing for travel, closing pubs at 8, certs , social distancing, masks etc....rinse .... and repeat ...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You know it isn't "de variants!" putting us under all these restrictions - its government who decide that (or NPHET)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

It absolutely should be personal choice.

Let people decide the level of risk they are willing to take on; and let society as a whole conclude that a certain number of deaths from this virus must be tolerated for society to function as normal - as we do with influenza on an annual basis.

Certs are stupid in a highly vaccinated population. For international travel, I can sort of understand it, but not for domestic use.

But masks, mandatory? No thanks. As I said, it's about time that society takes on these decisions and not Michael Martin or Tony Holohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Have not heard that saying since the 90's - cheers for the smile this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Why would you agree with them for international travel?

• Advertisement

It's not that I agree with them, but let's say that you had a highly unvaccinated country that demanded that visitors were double vaccinated. That country may argue that such visitors can be deemed safe because they are unlikely to become severely ill - even if they catch it in their country. To that kind of end, I can understand it.

I don't actively support it though. I think they're largely unnecessary in almost every other way.

And in the domestic setting, especially in this country, COVID passes are absolutely stupid and wholly irrational and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Meh, I have a very good record and a lot of very clear and explicit posts over two years that gave my opinion on what was clearly going to happen, posts that subsequently were proven right despite all the abuse received in return. One example of hyperbole doesn't change that.

Rest assured it would have been thrown in my face at every opportunity if that wasn't the case.

But surely a vaccinated country would also not want unvaccinated becoming unwell in their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

WHO statements are for the world and they recognise that it seems to be receding in some countries. That's not the end of it is all they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Do you not believe in vaccines?

A rather anti vax position you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I think for international travel all travellers should be tested regardless of vax status, I accept countries doing this as they don’t want to import cases and testing is the only way to be sure.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Yes, the WHO actually wants us (the West) to get on with « Living with Covid » and stop over-vaccinating out populations. Their main concern is for the vulnerable in the 3rd world who have little or no protection.

They have been warning Western countries for while not to be so self-centred with vaccination (as we are with every other commodity we hoard for ourselves, so I suppose no surprise there)...

Makes travelling a bit of a gamble then.

And if the country you're going to has heaps of Omicron, what's one more? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What relevance to you is it of someone being unwell in your "vaccinated county"?

Or do you not believe the vaccine affords you protection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Absolutely it’s a gamble, but I still think that if they want to stamp out transmission it’s a good tool and everyone should be tested I’ve no issue with that.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Well none to me. Was asking Eskimo why he felt it made sense in an unvaccinated country as opposed to vaccinated. Just chatting dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its more like four times bitten fifth time shy.

Are anti-anti-restrictions posters capable of learning from experience at all?

The re-openings are always planned months in advance, then they either do or don't go ahead (but never fully).

Are the exact same posters who mocked everyone on 31st August 2021 for being sceptical of an October 22nd opening now going to mock other posters on 19th January 2022 for being sceptical of a March 31st reopening?

Try.Learning.From.Past.Experience.

Yeah fair enough. Maybe I'm getting a bit lost in it all. As I feel now "we" are not really trying to stamp out transmission all that much... and if we are its transmitting anyway and things seem OK... sort of OK? So let's keep pushing that way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

But we don’t need to stamp out transmission. Omicron is a mild cold and hospitals are not being overwhelmed.

Why make people pay for tests before travelling and the inconvenience it causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Certs for international travel will i think remain in place. One could make a good case of abolishing them for the highly vaccinated EU countries and create or keep some sort of high risk scheme with different rules for low vaccinated countries and make those travellers do a test. My feeling is that EU countries will keep the cert as there will be little push back and we are all accustomed to it. That doesnt mean it is right. It will be required when checking in online or at the airport desk together with your ID. Very easy and fast. I wish that, once this emergency is over someone would bring a case to the european court of justice challenging the certs use. The thing is, once it has been established that those certs have been implemented to protect public health, as they clearly have, your basic individual human rights will be sacrified. It is always a trade off with human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭foxsake

weird that people don't get that.

it's like they believe in zero covid or that its a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

I completely understand this stand point, if Covid was a deadly killer, but its not, to the vast majority, we don't test for any other diseases before entering a country, I cant fathom, the need for this, unless we were to actually health screen everyone entering a country..

I have traveled to Africa multiple time's to multiple countries, HIV is rampant there, I was never tested for HIV coming back home, infact I have travelled all over the world and I have never been tested for anything... maybe you can say HIV doesn't over run the hospitals, but at this stage neither does covid, its just an example of a disease that can be imported and can kill people.

I just dont see why we need to test for Covid, its not taking over ICUs anymore..its time to let go

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

If they did that here, they'd kill off both the tourism industry, and the vaccine uptake rates.

Myself and others I know only got vaccinated for travel, if they insist on testing me, even when vaccinated, I'll not get any more jabs if there's no benefit / carrot.

And as for travel, the Belfast airports are a few hours up the road. A bit more ballache, but possibly easier travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Unless of course if they need both a cert AND a test. A valid cert with booster. I wonder at what time they will let that stick drop. I, like many others have not taken a booster shot. DCC no longer valid 9 months after last jab. My guess would be early june. Until then they will try to get as many boosters in as possible. They will drop the tests first as they cost serious money for a family travelling. However, flight companies will be directed by governments who will have less qualms/responsibilities upholding them. France first and foremost.Macron heading the way..

Advertisement