Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputing Warning Received

Options
  • 19-01-2022 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭

I am disputing a warning issued by @Ten of Swords claiming I breached the mod instruction set out in the thread "Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion" for failure to follow mod instruction and discussing the Garda investigation. The following is the warned post:

"One thing I find somewhat perplexing was the claim by the Garda and senior government ministers that "no stone would be left unturned" and "all resources would be made available for the investigation"

It really begs the question, do the Garda normally leave stones unturned and are resources often denied for the investigation of serious crime?"

I have two issues with the warning. My post was not a comment on the ongoing investigation, it was actually a comment on other investigations. I was simply musing why this statement needed to be made by ministers and AGS as it implies that they don't generally fully investigate crime or have adequate resources to do so. That or it was an empty statement, saying something for the sake of saying something.

Additionally the mod instruction in the opening post was as follows.

"This thread is not to discuss the perpetrator. One person has already been incorrectly identified on social media as being behind this. Leave the investigation to the Gardai. Don't speculate over motives or suspects."

You'll note that I didn't discuss the perpetrator, didn't identify any suspects, didn't attempt to investigate the crime, nor did i speculate over motive. Nowhere was it stated that the public statements of ministers and AGS couldn't be commented on.

As the warning issued was absolutely groundless, the warning should be removed.

I have PM'd Ten of Swords, but the mod has failed to respond.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Please give the mod 48 hours to respond

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hi Pawwed Rig. The mod has responded and the response was wholly inadequate. I'd like this reviewed by the cmod please.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Noted

Please post the pm exchange with the mod here and I will have a look

HOME› INBOX› YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Ten of Swords · You've been warned.

Moderator Ten of Swords

Points 1

Ten of SwordsTen of Swords January 15

There has already been a mod warning not to discuss the garda investigation

You are being warned for the following post:

MrMusician18

MrMusician18✭✭✭

Jan 15, 2022

Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion *please read the OP before posting*

One thing I find somewhat perplexing was the claim by the Garda and senior government ministers that "no stone would be left unturned" and "all resources would be made available for the investigation"

It really begs the question, do the Garda normally leave stones unturned and are resources often denied for the investigation of serious crime?

View Post

MrMusician18MrMusician18 January 15

Ah here, that's a bit of a stretch to say I was commenting on the investigation, certainly in the way the warning was intended - i.e. not to act like amateur sleuths,

Are you trying to trying to drive users from the site?

MrMusician18MrMusician18 January 17

Hi ten of swords,

I am going to take this to the help desk for review, unless I hear back from you.

Just to note, the ground rules set out in the opening post were as follows:

"This thread is not to discuss the perpetrator. One person has already been incorrectly identified on social media as being behind this. Leave the investigation to the Gardai. Don't speculate over motives or suspects."

I did not discuss the perpetrator nor did I attempt to investigate the crime. I didn't speculate over motives or suspects either. What I did comment on were political figures and AGS inane air time filling statements on what will happen next.

Ten of SwordsTen of Swords January 19

Hi MrMusician18,

Your argument that you weren't discussing the Garda investigation when you literally took a quote made by a Superintendent investigating the case on the evening news and queried it's validity does not hold water I'm afraid.

Secondly, the purpose of the thread as set out on post #1 was as follows (and the reason for this was clear, 2 previous attempts at this thread descended quickly to the point that they had to be closed because speculation and trolling got out of hand);

This thread is to discuss Ashling, To offer condolences. To sympathise with those who knew her, and to express your own feelings following her tragic death.

I see you have started a DRP already on 2 grounds

A summed up version of your first reason,

1) I wasn't discussing *those* gardai I was discussing *the* gardai (as I've mentioned above, I don't accept that as a valid argument)

Your second reason I've quoted verbatim from the DRP,

2) You'll note that I didn't discuss the perpetrator, didn't identify any suspects, didn't attempt to investigate the crime, nor did i speculate over motive. Nowhere was it stated that the public statements of ministers and AGS couldn't be commented on.

As I've quoted above, the purpose of the thread was to discuss Aisling and offer condolences, not discuss the Gardai.

When threads constantly go off topic because moderator instructions are not followed they need constant mod attention, escalating infractions and/or bans get handed out and they eventually get closed if they go too far. This is exactly what happened to this thread.

Your 1 point warning is valid.

Kind regards

Can you send me a link to the post in question?

• Advertisement

The post has been deleted from the thread, but I've quoted it in full in my op (second and third paragraphs).

Can you link me to the thread then? It looks like you have your account set to private so I have no visibility of anything

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am going to uphold this.

In general your comment was not that bad and wouldn't have attracted too much attention. Unfortunately on this thread we had to apply a zero tolerance approach as 2 previous threads had run out of control despite tight monitoring.

If you would like a further admin review please let us know.

Hi Paweed Rig,

Thanks for the review. Without going over the details that have been well set out above, I have to disagree with your assessment. In the context of that thread, and indeed posting generally on that forum, my post was far from problematic. It's not baiting, trying to get a rise or offensive in any way. It adheres to the ground rules set out at the start of the thread. Far more offensive posts were allowed to remain on thread unsanctioned. If there was some sort of standard being applied, then the mod applied them extremely unevenly

To say I broke the rules is incorrect, and to say I broke them to a level that required sanction is a bit mad for a stie that needs discussion to thrive.

I would like an admin to review. Since Beasty is a mod of that forum, it really should be someone else.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
Advertisement