Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLERICAL OFFICER 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Shanehoof1000

Hi guys just wondering does anyone have any information on Galway panel?

How far did they get last year in order of merit?

I'm in the 80's and for both Galway and Mayo and just wondering would it common to be placed with such a number.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

moving quickly, best of luck, batch numbers seem really small too so results shouldn't be long coming and at least you know its pass/fail.

Hi

I have an interview for next week. Have many failed the interview before? I am very nervous. Interviews are not my strong point. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Fisherman32

Youl do fine. They were friendly towards me and also made me feel very comfortable!

• Advertisement

Just remember they don't want to fail you, they want to see you pass the interview, as someone who has interviewed people for these sort of roles we aren't trying to catch anyone out and follow up questions are just to try and get info that can help you reach the necessary mark.

Prepare, prepare and prepare some more, you'll be amazed at what you remember, read over the competencies, this is what they want to hear in your answers that you know what they are. Plant your feet on the floor and hold your hands tight in your lap to help with the nerves, pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth can also help. Smile, even if nervous it can mask it and makes you seem more confident then you may be feeling, start smiling whilst you are waiting to be let into the zoom meeting

Have a pint of water there and take a drink after youve been asked a question if you need more time to think, also at the end don't be afraid to ask to go back to a question if you suddenly remember the answer you wanted to give. Also dont be afraid to ask them to repeat a question instead of going off on a tangent

Finally at the end jot down all the questions you were asked as you are likely to forget soon afterwards and then put that piece of paper away and forget about it (it can be handy for future interviews to prepare)

Just a quick update for anyone in Galway. They have now called the first 20 people for interview. These will be finished by the end of January and the next batch will be called.

Mayo has not yet being called .

This is off 18/01/2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frankienonose

Hello all, I am about halfway through my probationary period in a position in Dublin and, because my OOM was a bit too high for the other county I wanted to go for this time around, am about to interview for Dublin again. I figured there might be a chance of getting something this time that would allow me to work from home, or failing that just something a bit less soul destroying than where I am at the moment. But would it be frowned upon to be looking for another position in Dublin when I am not even through with probation in my current one? For the record my review meetings so far, such as they've been what with the shambolic management, have been positive.

Thanks that’s really helpful. My partner is in the 50s for Galway. Have you got an interview yourself or is this from emailing pas?

• Advertisement

@frankienonose at the end of the day you’re simply a number to hr, they don’t care where you currently are. People often use comps to get a move I wouldn’t worry too much about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Thats me..nearly finished probation....but just keeping my options open. If I dont like the offer, ill just stay put

Thank you so much for that it has helped calm me down. I will spend the next few days going over things.

Hi ,

Not yet I'm in the 80s. Emailed them today. Hopefully we will get an interview soon

Thanks for updating us here anyway. Yeah hopefully in the next couple of batches. I didn’t think the batch numbers would be so small at least you know you’ve got a good chance of an offer if you pass

I emailed today and they said they have reached so far OOM:

Co.Sligo - 20.

Co.Leitrim 8.

if anyone gets any updates I wonder could we all post it here as a team? It would be great if we could all keep in touch!

Just remember job interviews are about you talking to another human being who desperately wants you to be the perfect candidate!

I have another question re the competencies. Do they want an example of each competency or is it through the overall interview they score you on each one? Sorry if I am overcomplicating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

Typically they would look for examples of each competency with specific questions.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

if they haven’t provided any further instructions in your interview invite about the competencies and the interview structure then prepare an example for each competency. You can use the same example/scenario for more than one competency

• Advertisement

Would those answers be given through the star method, thanks very much?

Thanks, I am in the middle of my prep now!

yeah use the star method and just copy wording from the CO competency list, make it as easy as possible for the interviewers to award you marks. They don't have to be long but remember to use I and not we, be very specific about your role

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DublinWexican

I'd advise speaking with an interview coach familiar with civil service interviews.

This makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Na445

What the email address? And what do u state in the email! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Totally Red

Hi

Two questions i am over thinking in my head what are sufficient enough answers without babbling on any tips.

What do you know about the civil service ?

Why do you want to work for the civil service ?

Obviously i no certain amount of information regarding the civil service different departments and that but what is sufficient enough.

Also i no why i want to work for them and the skills i have to offer to go for the job. But again whats good enough with out babbling on

I no this may sound silly but just putting it out there as its 2 questions im repeatedly coming back 2 im not looking for an answer to give just advise thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Na445

I dont think they will asked you them sort of questions because you cant answer them probably if you have never been in the civil service !

i wouldnt worry too much about them kind of question i would focus mostly on compentenices!

i have been told that they will never ask u directly about what a company/workplace does

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Totally Red

I appreciate the reply thank you i have been in my current job for close to 20 years.

So i guess just trying to get my head around some questions i thought might be on the table 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 cocs

Hi, can you give me names of any interview coaches you would recommend, ty. Have an in a week and 1/2. In my current job 20 years dont have a clue, can't seem to put pen to paper for the competencies.

Advertisement