Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its good that it's FTA, but its 2022 and Virgin are still broadcasting in low definition on FTA so I'll be watching them on BBC/ITV again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

At least England game is on RTE.

Sadly they haven't managed to do montages as good as this anymore

"Kevin Flynn forever preserved in sepia" RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1FdnOftgc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I doubt Frawley and O Brien will both be named

Doak may be involved in training squad but he isnt an under 20 though is just 2 weeks overage for 20s this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Given Frawley was in the Autumn squad, I imagine he will be again, and to be honest, I'd rather he was there than McCloskey. He brings a very different skillset, and McCloskey is only going to pick up token caps. Better to see what Frawley can bring.

O'Brien I don't get at all. With Frawley and Hume, we have enough new centre talent kicking about (and O'Brien isn't nearly as good a 13 as Hume), and Lowry is better at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭OldRio

I couldn't agree more. Farcical in this day and age. SD broadcasts belong in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I expect Earls, Murray, Healy will be in the squad. I would much prefer if we started the transition away from them where possible. I believe McIlroy has the potential I would fully embrace the contingent of Baloucoune, Doak and Lowry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

Given that this time last year they were all 1st choice starters, and now they aren't, I'd say that transition has well and truly begun.

I actually think Earls might miss out. If we're picking 4 wingers, you'd have to say that Lowe, Conway, Larmour and Baloucoune would be ahead of Earls.

Healy we don't really have a choice but to pick because we're very short at LH. And none of the young LHs are getting games at their provinces.

JGP is firmly ahead of Murray and it's only a matter of time before Doak starts pushing for Murray's bench spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What will get Earls in, if he does indeed get in, is his supposed versatility. I have a hunch Baloucoune could do an excellent job at 13. He's an extremely intelligent reader of the game when it comes to defending, and he's got good handling ability and excellent evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, when you compare where we were in the RWC to now our front row has changed drastically, our back row has been transformed and our back 3 is completely different. We’ve also changed our scrum half and have completely changed how we play the game. That’s a fair bit of change in 2 years. Add into that how Farrell has been actively bringing in young guys in those positions where we have aging players (EOS, O’Toole, Connors, Deegan, Coombes, Casey, H Byrne) and it’s clear we are planning for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Backs (17)

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 33 caps

Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen) 2 caps

Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 27 caps

Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 10 caps

Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 4 caps

Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 27 caps

Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 96 caps

Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 12 caps

Mack Hansen (Connacht) uncapped

Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 53 caps

James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap

Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 16 caps

Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 30 caps

Michael Lowry (Ulster/Banbridge) uncapped

Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 92 caps

Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 101 caps CAPTAIN

Forwards (20)

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 6 caps

Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 18 caps

Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 25 caps

Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 22 caps

Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps

Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 12 caps

Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 52 caps

Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 112 caps

Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 65 caps

Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 23 caps

Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 16 caps

Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 45 caps

Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 79 caps

Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 2 caps

Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 40 caps

James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 40 caps

Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 2 caps

Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) 2 caps

Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 3 caps

Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 35 caps

Development Player

Cian Prendergast (Connacht)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Neither Frawley or McCloskey are in the squad which is quite harsh I think.

Lowry and Hansen are in and Cian Prendergast is there as a development player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Lowe dropped from the squad?

No James Lowe either which seems wild to me. Was one of our best backs in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lowe must be injured surely? Surprised to see Carberry there but glad to see him rehab is obviously going well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Carbery is due back? Suprising. No Lowe, McIlroy or Zebo. Which from Baloucoune, Conway, Earls and Larmour will be making the 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Very unlucky for Lowe. He only came on at HT for Larmour at the weekend.

Happy for Prendergast. He wasn't really on anyone's radar 12-18 months ago. Come on an awful lot at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

10 players with 5 or fewer caps (11 including Prendergast).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Speaking of Larmour, thought he was really good in the first half at the weekend. I'd say he could get himself back in the reckoning playing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No major shocks in there other than maybe Treadwells inclusion. But Hendo and Ryan are both currently injured. Harry Byrne out, but that’s not unexpected.

Prendergast the only development player is a bit of a surprise too. I thought we’d at least see Doak in there.

Overall though it’s pretty much as expected. Good to see guys like Lowry and Hansen getting rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No Doak is no joke.

Seriously though, if you're bringing in development players at all, Doak is an automatic pick. He adds more to a side than Prendergast, pound for pound, and that's no disrespect to the latter who is also a great young player.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Between him and Casey, I'd pick him every time. He's got more to his game, and is obviously more physical. Crazy decision to leave him out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't really understand why you'd leave Doak at home to be honest. It seems obvious his future is very bright, surely even holding tackle bags and listening in to meetings is of benefit to him. He's not going to get near a 23 but would have thought he'd be a development player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would love to see Carty and lowry start against Italy together, they could really rip it up in attack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Is there a left footer in the back 3? Thought Jimmy o'brien might get in for that reason if zebo and Lowe were out.

Not convinced by hansen. Good going forward but looked lazy and laboured in defence when I have watched him v Munster and leinster. Have only seen his highlights going forward apart from that and just not convinced. Has he played Champions cup level yet.

Strange naming carberry who is injured and then not Lowe who has a slight muscle strain.

No Doak as a development player also is strange hopefully he gets in at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ulster have a big home game this weekend to secure a top drawer seeding for the last 16, perhaps McFarland and Farrell have agreed privately that ought be to everyone's sole focus for now, maybe Doak will make an appearance in camp once the tournament is off and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

11 Conway

14baloucoune

23 earls

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

By position:

Loosehead props: Andrew Porter, Cian Healy, David Kilcoyne

Hookers: Rónan Kelleher, Dan Sheehan, Rob Herring

Tighthead props: Tadhg Furlong, Finlay Bealham, Tom O’Toole

Second rows: Tadhg Beirne, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Kieran Treadwell, Ryan Baird

BackrowersJack Conan, Caelan Doris, Josh van der Flier, Peter O’Mahony, Nick Timoney, Gavin Coombes

Scrumhalves: Jamison Gibson-Park, Conor Murray, Craig Casey

Outhalves: Jonathan Sexton (captain), Zoolander, Jack Carty

Centres: Fua Leiofi Bundellu Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Garry Ringrose, James Hume

Wings: Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Robert Baloucoune, Jordan Larmour, Mack Hansen

Fullbacks: Hugo Keenan, Michael Lowry

Development player: Cian Prendergast

Advertisement