Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Kalyke

David Davis calls for him to resign during PMQs. Is the Teflon Toff fec%ed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Paddy Power have stopped taking money on Boris lasting 2022. And Sunak is now the 5/4 favourite with Truss out to 9/2. Hard to know whats going on there as theres been no news, they might be just limiting their exposure on Sunak.

Its hard to see Boris surviving this, Id imagine this weekends newspapers will bring even more revelations of parties and whatever Cummings has this weekend is the opportune time to use it. Todays Sun is leading with a headline on Strictly Come Dancing while Boris is fighting for his political life- rumour is their editors were at some of the Downing St parties so theyre not too keen on covering the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

If he has any shred of decency he has to go. I know I mentioned it already but IMO the picture of the Queen on her own is a killer.

Either BJ goes or he throws everyone at the party under the bus. As the boss or Big Dog his postion is really untenable the more you look at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He's done. Probably the worst PM in living memory. Not a single achievement during his premiership and the UK is the only European country to exceed 150,000 covid deaths while he and his cronies partied away.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If he has any shred of decency he has to go.

He doesn't

There isn't a hope in hell he falls on his sword or does anything to make things easier/better for the Tories or anyone else, he will fight and bluster right to the end.

They will have to literally drag him out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is it. Behind the bungling, nauseatingly fake persona likes a cold, immoral psychopath without any sort of virtue whatsoever. The man has cheated on his wife while she was receiving chem for breast cancer, conspired to have a journalist assaulted, sang imperialist songs in a temple in Myanmar, lied to the sovereign and all the past year has been fiddling while literally tens of thousands of Britons die from this virus and suffer fines for transgressions against the covid restrictions.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In many ways he's no different to Trump:

• Narcissist
    • Absolutely no morals
    • Serial liar
    • History of betraying those close to him (personally and politically)
    • Unwilling to walk away when the writing is on the wall and willing to take desperate measures to prevent the inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Brits really are messy drama bitches. Good craic to watch though, like WWE without the wrestling.

Not a chance Worzel Gummich will walk though, he'll be like Trump, even after getting hooshed out he'll be whinging and moaning.

I will never forget my mother ringing me summer 2016 and joking about the possibility of Trump and BJ (when Theresa May got it) in office. Oh how we tittered and laughed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. The only way it happens is by a VONC and the Tory majority is massive they’ll never get enough to vote against. The opinion polls don’t matter as much over there because of the voting system they use in elections.

• Advertisement

BJ has complained about the low pay and how he took a massive wage hit when he took over as PM. All that maintenance to pay out. There is a job waiting for him at the Telegraph. Silver lining and all that.

Carrie will now wake up and realise she is married to an overweight oaf 25 years her senior.

He'll make the real money like other previous PM's lobbying for the private sector. Remeber David Cameron and Greensill?

Symonds knew full well what she was getting into bed with. She deserves all she gets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Any decision made by the Tories will be a purely mathematical one not a moral one. Their anger with Boris is that he got caught , not about what he did.

It's a simple equation for them - Can they retain power with Boris is charge?

Since all this started , they have been utterly trounced in what was a bullet-proof Tory seat in a by-election and this morning an MP defected to Labour, who says a few more won't jump ship as well?

They will collect all the polling data and they will see what that tells them about the viability of that ~80 seat majority of theirs , they will also look to see if they think they have enough "good news" on the horizon to allow them to ride it out and hope people have forgotten by the time the local Elections come around.

Right now the short to medium term Maths is not really on his side - The Local Elections are in May this year , meaning campaigning isn't all that far away.

People will not have forgotten by then and the Tories will get absolutely smashed and will lose control of huge numbers of councils across the country.

In short , I don't think the Tories will believe that they have "enough in the tank" to ride this one out with Boris in charge.

The Tory majority is only relevant for a VONC in the greater parliament. His own party can bounce him with an internal vote of their own MPs - which will be triggered automatically if 54 of them write letters to the head of the 1922 committee (apparently 30+ of them already have at this stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

54 to trigger an internal VONC. How many would need to vote against to get rid of him?

Worth bearing in mind Theresa May had a vote triggered against her and she survived it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

If he wins the VONC, he can't be challenged for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes. It's 15% (54) to trigger it and then a simple majority of Tory MPs (180) to give him the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,861 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Tories can remove him as PM though so the majority or voting structure don't matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Well after he got a donor to spend all of that money on the flat refurbishment in number 10, I'd say he's not too keen to move on just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is possibly the worst PM since the days of the beginnings of what we recognize as modern parliament in the 1800s

Maybe someone who knows their history better than me has some other contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well it depends on what one takes as success. If it is is based on Brexit being a successful outcome for UK, then it hasn't been and there is little in the way of any indication to say where any benefits will arise.

But if by success one means, leave the EU, then is is correct to say he has a success in delivering Brexit. It will be down to others to deal with the cost of that success.

But May triggered art. 50 and Cameron called the vote. What did Johnson actually do that made Brexit happen when it was happening anyway.

It's a bit like the Boris bikes which had nothing to do with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

This was made over a year ago...but feels like it belongs to this current year:

Funnily enough Count Binface here actually runs in the elections over there. I think he even got more votes than the UKIP candidate during the last mayor of London election :P

Would be delighted to see BoJo dragged out of office by his own party. I can easily imagine him refusing to make the traditional visit to the Queen to give up his post and just sulking somewhere in Number 10 while the new PM tries to find a way to coax him out, prolonging the embarresment to him and all Tories.

Or I dunno....he just quits and runs away.

But I don't even think he can claim that. Not while issues like NI still remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Given Davis wheeled out the old chestnut "In the name of God go" I'm surprised nobody in the Commons has dredeged up this adage

You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

• Advertisement
Advertisement