Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing materials Costs

Options
  • 19-01-2022 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone got a definitive view of materials costs and how much they have gone up by in the last 3/6 months. A friend of mine is looking to build an extension agreed a price in November they could only start at the end of January and the builder is saying the price is 20% more now than it was 3 months ago. He is not sure if they are trying to pull a fast one, materials are rising but has anyone got a handle on how much and a breakdown of the last 6 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I know some bits do go up in the new year, so I wouldn't be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Labour costs are a big part of construction costs and they’ve gone way up. 20% in 3 months seems excessive though. Presumably they got some breakdown of the costs at the time. I would ask for a revised breakdown of costs to see where there increases are. You could also try asking in the construction forum to get better info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

supply and demand... unfortunately i think if a person asks for a breakdown now they either cowboy or at the end of the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

20% in 3 months...I think you are into inflation expectation situation where prices go up on expectation of future rises. All you can do is try and get a few quotes and see which is best value. 20% in 6 months suggest annual inflation run rate in that area of 40%. Is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We had an extension built in 2021 for 70k.

Builder reckons the same extension would be around 90k-100k in 2022. Take from that what you will. Materials are a huge element and lack of decent skilled trades.

Just to add it was priced in 2020 @ 60k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's a big milking job at the minute. 20% extra in 2 months is a cowboy, personally I'd send him packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That or this builder does a good job and feels he can charge as above. Maybe plenty of other customers about. Advice to OP, check carefully previous work by this builder and reputation etc. If it's good, may be as well to stick with it or risk getting a cheaper price and dodgy work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tell your friend to go to another builder for a quote if he thinks the builder is pulling a fast one.

20% is normal. Timber alone has jumped. Insulation has jumped 10% every month in 2021 alone.

Labour is starting to increase a lot now. I know Contractors that are now paying increased labouring costs plus throwing in little extras like food money etc

Trades have increased also. My Contractor has to allow €400 per day for a trade on his site currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭enricoh

Agreed a price in November and now 20% extra a week before he is due to start is a milking job.

New builder time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Just to clarify, when you say 20% is normal do you mean that the cost of construction in general has gone up 20% since November? I’m saving for an extension myself but with inflation like that, we’ll never be able to afford what we want

• Advertisement
Advertisement