Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yeah. I've noticed that usage too. I can only assume it is an error. I have resisted temptation to turn it off as I got installer to run 2.5mm2 T&E down to dedicated backup socket in hall beside consumer unit. No point having that if I have to scramble up to attic in event of power cut to enable EPS output!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Overall, you're better to get live monitoring over RS485 onto something like Node-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I am not sure if there is a better thread for this but I found this story pretty interesting

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/texas-electric-grid-failure-warm-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭S'

Could you knowledgeable people answer the below to help me understand how my devices function.

I have my inverter setup to charge on night rate from 11pm to 8am @ 7amps. When the battery is full does the inverter sense this and stop charging? Reason I ask is my battery was full this morning and it was still pulling 1kW from the grid for 30mins.

Also with the eddi is there a minimum export excess before it will divert to the immersion? Should I have export to grid setting (solis) turned on for the harvi to sense this excess power? I had my system installed in December and hasn't logged any readings.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

First bill arrived this morning covering a full billing period with Solar PV + battery, and can be roughly compared to the same period last year...

2021: (62 days) Day units: 633 - Night units: 1,143 - Total units: 1,776 - total electricity costs (before discounts etc..): €224.04

2022: (59 days) Day units: 205 - Night units: 1,314 - Total units: 1,519 - total electricity costs (before discounts etc..): €192.48

Remarks: More driving this year over the last 3 weeks (including Christmas period) (remember we were locked down from Dec 29th onwards last year).

All in all I'm fairly happy with the return over what would be the least productive months of the year for PV production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I recently had a day/night meter installed, but noticed this morning the time is 20 mins faster on the meters than current time.

Does it need to to be changed? If so, what's the process? I assume I won't have access.

You'll just have to make a mental note of when the day/night periods start/stop

so for you, night period starts at 10:40pm, and it ands at 07:40am

Not sure about requesting it to be calibrated, but if those times don't work for you, it might be worth calling ESB Networks and asking them.

It's a slight inconvenience tbf, but I like having these things accurate. Saying that, I'd live with it!

When daylight savings rolls around in March does the digital time automatically change on these meters?

No, the meter doesn't change, so at that point your new night period time will be 11:40pm - 8:40am

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Do they even change time at all for daylight savings? I can't remember with mine but assume they stay on GMT (+- whatever your meter is - mine is 13 minutes wrong!) As what actually happens is night rate moves from 12-8 to 11-7

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wouldn't even risk getting ESB to check, they'd probably just change it to a smart one!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I can answer the first question. Its dumb. When you tell the interver to charge from grid (at night time for example) it will do eaxctly what you told it. If there is a battery available then it will fill it. But when the battery is full - the inverter will still do what you told it to... so that energy - if it has no where to go will go back to the grid!

I have mine setup to make sure i never cross 99% battery. As the days get brighter I wil need to be mindful of the ever increasing possiblity that on a really sunny day - if my battery is not empty at 11PM - it might go over that limit.

My plan is to lower the amps carefully to reduce the % in the battery. For my setup I tested over 8 hours .5 of an amp will raise or lower my charge by 5%

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118158276/#Comment_118158276

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭S'

Thanks. I'll reduce the current down to 6amps and see what level it charges to.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

A letter already arrived in the post this week regarding smart meters. They are in our area shortly. I'll be opting out for now. Maybe in a year when current supplier contract is up the smart rates might be more competitive... Lol

Until then the day night meter stays!

Not sure I've seen that issue.

My battery was full at 4am, but as far as I can see it stopped pulling from grid, and no energy went back into the grid.

I've similar charging times to you and a low amp setting. Solis Inverter and Pylontech batt.

hmm. Maybe further testing required.

Ive never seen battery go beyond 99% - so maybe you are right and it just stops pulling from grid. I stand corrected if that is the case - solis inverter here with Dyness battery - not sure if that makes any difference though.

Something I'll keep an eye on. I'm only charging mine at night since Friday so I'm still a novice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'm not familiar with your inverters (Solis) but the Givenergy one has a "Timed charge" and additionally a "timed discharge".

can you not set it to have a timed discharge of 0amps for the probleatic time? (I don't know if this is possible, just firing it out there as something to try)

• Advertisement

That's my settings.

My assumption from tips on here is that it will charge from midnight to 7.55am. (seeing as my day night clock meter is fast I'll be adjusting this slightly)

Then it will discharge automatically as needed.

I could be way off!

As an aside I couldn't get the charge time to save when I put in 23:00 to 07:55. Doesn't make a big difference to me at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I've a different inverter, but I deliberately set mine from 00:00 to 07:55 also. The logic I had was two fold.

1. When the hour goes forward I don't have to change it.
    2. When I'm looking at the ins/outs for the day, the battery was skewing the figures, as some the energy I have in the battery on say the 19th, would have come from that period of 23:00-00:00 on the night of the 18th -> 19th , so it was messing up my charts unless I looked at 23:59 in the day where it's "paid back" the energy it got. I know I'm not explaining that very well :-)

This is a good suggestion @bullit_dodger Im going to move to midnight!

@6 Those are the same settings as me. So assuming battery is full at 4am but you are still "set to charge" ... does that potentially overcharge the battery? or does it just go no where... does the load reduce as soon as battery is full? And does the house load only come from grid - and doesnt use up any of the now charged battery?

I just checked. I had a machine wash timed and it came on around 4.30am. All power from grid. There was a bit of slippage from the battery 100W or so around that time. I think it that's normal enough?

Battery starting discharging at full whack when the kettle was boiled at 8.30!

I seem to be using "Time of use for Self Use" instead: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118158276/#Comment_118158276

And you are using "Time Charging" I wonder is that the difference. Must go see what the two different options mean.

Ah ok, I'm using Time Charging.

Let me know what you find.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I saw this the other day. It gives a good overview of the differences between the modes. https://www.ginlong.com/us/conews/36330.html

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

This link can be added to FAQ. It is good info for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

sorry wrong thread

• Advertisement

Im not sure why - but I have only 4 modes = 1. Self Use 2. Feed in Priority 3. Backup 4. Off Grid.

In menu under Version mine has: Model F6 Software ver.: 30026 (maybe there is a difference here?)

My Inverter is: Solis RHI-(3-6)k-48ES-5G (MINE IS 6K)

I tested setting the battery to charge from grid at a slightly higher rate - but once again it never went past 99%... l left it run for over 20 minutes beyond 99% but it never reached 100. I dont know if this is because there is a built in buffer ... or if the power just has no where to go. IM sorry but im inclined to believe im correct - the system is too dumb to just stop charging from grid when battery is full. (i think becuase i programmed it to pull from grid or 8 hours - it just does what i tell it).

I did try setting discharge time - but that is even worse - as all it does is empty the battery wether there is load or not! That is clearly stated in the guides i read - so it warns to use with caution.

Advertisement