Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The other thing to consider is if Leinster are losing some of their backrow players. Jenkins might be replacing more than just Toner and some academy second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

I think it's a good signing if he can stay healthy.

they clearly either dont rate Dunne/Ryan or dont have the patience to develop them, they are in win now mode with Sexton near the end and maybe Lancaster/Leo. A big powerful TH lock helps them win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

A journeyman! Lol, oh shite. He's gonna be holding tackle bags! Some signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not a bad signing at all if he can prove his fitness. He's a big lump who is mobile and has hands. He could fit Leinster quite well.

From the little I've seen, I'd say he's Quinn Roux with better handling. Leinster have a significant gap and might even need to recruit another lock in the next year. But you cut your cloth accordingly. I doubt money is plentiful at the moment and he's not going to cost much based on his current situation.

The big call out for Leinster in the last year has been more power in the pack. We can hardly complain when we sign a lock who is the guts of 20 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

When would we expect confirmation on if/when Leo resigns for next year.

I think he only took a 1 year deal last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Leinster second rows for next season were shaping up to be

Ryan (questionable durability last 12 months)

Maloney (questionable physicality for top level rugby, one of the few Leinster 23 not in Irish shake up)

Baird (highly promising athlete, looks a bit to go)

Two academy lads deeney and maccarthy

Assuming toner finishes up and Jack Dunne and Charlie Ryan move on.

Munster signed Jenkins when they had

Bierne - lion, snyman - SA star, klyn - Irish capped and good age profile, wycherly, ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He's a journeyed man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe more of a gatekeeper.

Team for the weekend? Think I'd go for:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Ala'alatoa
    4. Josh Murphy
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Caelan Doris
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Jimmy O'Brien
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ciarán Frawley
    23. Jordan Larmour

Maybe missing a bit of grunt in the engine room...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement

I thought it was just last year even though he was offered a 2 year deal.

Id say Baird might start. As someone pointed out he was fit last week and was one of the 24th men just hadn't trained as he was a close contact.

I wouldn't be suprised if larmour wasn't in the 23 after hobbling off at half time. Depends how the dead leg heals. Maybe Adam Byrne gets a run on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Whoops, had my tenses wrong. What I meant to say was that he's taking a one year deal from now on, on a rolling contract.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He isnt what id see as a journeyman. He's played with 3/4 years with Bulls and then again in Japan and then not even played much with Munster. not really what id see as a journeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

and now he has moved to Leinster. That is a lot of clubs already if he is only 26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt really. If you go through plenty of the english and french teams especially towards bottom of table and then championship sides etc you will see loads of players with similar cvs and lot of guys whove played with lot more sides than that even at 26

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don’t know a whole lot about Jenkins. Have seen almost nothing of him. I’m in good company in general here it would seem in that regard. I’ve no idea why so many people who know so little about the guy are so capable of coming up with such definitive opinions on him though. What’s that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I get the impression some people think Leinster coaches thought this up over coffee on Monday, I would guess this is planned at least 4 or 5 weeks back

I wonder if a Leinster back row player might be heading south

Deegan or Penny? Especially if Cloete is going to Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

A journeyman is someone who has been around along time and is coming towards the end of their career. Not someone who is only realistically in the middle of their career if not the early part of it for a second row.

Yes he’s moved around a lot by dent of the fact he only seems to do one year contracts. He is not experienced enough to call a journeyman yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I can't see the Cloete to Connacht thing at all. Maybe if Oliver was making irish squads but with the quality of opensides already in the system he won't be. I'd be more inclined to think a Leinster backrow would be heading west. Deegan would absolutely thrive in that play style and with Boyle the only real 8 as competition.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No, a journeyman is someone who works hard but is not particularly talented. Age and mobility have nothing to do with it.

This week should be a formality. I wonder if Sexton will even have a role? Bath won't have much interest.

But, the entire tournament and format have been upended. The way that teams are punished for the covid cases is mad! I think the tournament would be better if the group stage was held during one month. All four matches, or if it returns to the previous format. 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not sure playing all the matches on consecutive weekends does anything other than increase the likelihood of missing several matches. The setup is a mess though too many teams qualifying makes the group games much less likely to be of value. Given covid I’m happy to give them a free pass but it needs to be sorted out in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm taking nothing for granted against Bath. I was at the Rec in 2018 when Leinster were overwhelming favourites. We barely squeaked past them thanks to Larmour intercepting a pass on halfway and running under the posts to score.

Bath aren't as good this time around, but did win their last game in the Premiership and put in half a performance against La Rochelle. I'd rather Leinster went all in for the game. We still need a bonus point win anyway so I'm sure we'll go for it.

Not my understanding of it, or how it has ever been used here.

• Advertisement

The game in 2018 was in awful conditions. It had pissed rain for the whole week and did so all through the game. The pitch was in awful condition, possibly the worst I’ve ever seen for a professional game. All those issues contributed to leveling the game. As you say, that was a much better Bath team.

They were 39-0 down before they fired a shot against a completely disinterested at that point LAR team.

They are capable of scoring if defenses lapse, as they proved against us in the Aviva. That being said, this game is a formality and we should be looking to run up another big score.

Advertisement