Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's some elevation gain. Something I neglect to be honest. Not sure were hilly running would fit into my week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Normally its around 500-600m per week, there is nothing flat here. My preferred long route has a elevation gain of 250m over 13mile/21km. As we say around here hills pay the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Tipping away nicely Seán. Going back on plan next week myself. Hard to believe it's a year since Raheny...

Hard to believe alright! What a fantastic race it is

Base Building Training Week 1

My left achillies was a little tender after last Saturday so I'll be avoiding hilly routes this week. I'm also changing my session days from Wednesday and Saturday to back Tuesday and Friday. When I trained with my club it was Tuesday and Friday. Then when I switched to Dermot his sessions they were on the track on Wednesday. Things are up in the air at the moment, but I have time on my side to get fit again. I know if I self coach I'll get fit quick but I think I'd probably be on the aggressive side. So I'm doing this 12 week base building plan from Tinman that AMK from these parts did last summer. It seems okay on paper, two weekly sessions and a easy long run which is how I train most of the time.

Monday

40 minutes easy with 6x 20 seconds strides in the middle. Still feeling those hills from last Saturday.

8.3km @4:52/km

Tuesday

5x 3 minutes plus 5x 30 seconds hills

3k warm up. Maybe a bit snappy to be honest. I was wearing my new Nike Streak 7s and was just checking out how they responded. Then some activations, drills and strides.

5x3 minutes at estimated CV pace with 1 minute jog recovery.

First time running anything faster than tempo in some time with the exception of hills and strides. Its going to take a while to get used to pacing myself again, taking off too fast then slowing down. I just took the 1 minute recovery off instead of a jog recovery today. Average pace for each 3 minutes was the following.

3:37/km (5:49/mile)
    3:35/km (5:47/mile)
    3:35/km (5:47/mile)
    3:36/km (5:48/mile)
    3:37/km (5:49/mile)

I had about a 6 minutes jog to the hill for the 5x 30 seconds hills. These should be at 800m effort but I deliberately held off a bit been so close to doing hard hills last Saturday. I would say the effort was somewhere between mile and 3k on a 5% graded hill. 1 minute jog recovery back between each hill.

Then just over 2.5km cool down. I would have liked a less responsive shoe on for the cool down if I'm honest. Overall I'm very impressed with the Streak 7 on its first proper run. Some weight after the session nothing hectic. No issues with my achillies after the session.

Wednesday

30 minutes recovery
    Laps of the pitch, bit too soggy tbh.
    6km @5:17/km

Thursday

40 minutes easy with 6x20 seconds strides
    8.6km @ 4:43/km

Friday

10 minutes tempo plus 2km

Warm up of around 4km then strides before the 10 minutes tempo @3:53/km (6:15/mile) then a 3 minute jog recovery. The 2km is a way to gauge paces for the next few weeks. If I ran that 2km again next Friday I'd be very confident I'd knock 10 seconds of it. Which is a lot over that distance I know. I had more things going against me than on my side today (I haven't ran at speed since August, avoiding cars, up and down off footpaths, wind, and forgot my headlamp so running the last 400m in the dark...) but no point making excuses I know I'm quite unfit compared to 6 months ago. It was 2km in 6:40 or 3:20/km average (5:22/mile). I see why there is a 2km TT so early in the plan to ensure you aren't over training. It's not something I'd plan myself or if I did I'd probably do the 10 minutes tempo after the 2km. When I haven't raced in so long it good to know my fitness. The same session is repeated in 5 weeks time with a longer cool down so I'll see what happens then. I think I'll do my Friday sessions later in the evening in the future as that bit of road which is my only option (until the evenings get longer) is very busy. Jeez you'd miss the track. 3km cool down after the session.

Saturday

30 minutes recovery on grass.
    Laps of a different pitch compared to Wednesday. Not as soggy so it made it easier and more enjoyable. Well as enjoyable as laps of a pitch can be...
    6km @5:15/km

Sunday

75 minutes easy
    Wind, rain, sleet, snow, 0°c but very enjoyable to get out on the roads and running in day light.
    16km @4:45/km

Very much a meh week running as the majority was in and out on a short bit of flat road in town. My achillies probably needed that week. Its been good all week, it tends to flare up a bit if I suddenly increase the workload or elevation. This weeks elevation was below normal with only Sundays run(165m) bringing it up. I suppose the main thing I've done is kept an close eye on my easy runs and recovery runs pace this week.

This weeks totals 71.7km, 5hr 44 mins and just over 500 meters elevation gain over 7 days.

• Advertisement

Base Building Week 2

Monday

45 minutes easy with 8x 20 seconds strides in the middle.

9.4km @4:50/km

Tuesday

24 minutes tempo plus 6x30 seconds on/off fartlek

I had planned to do this before 6am. I was called into work in the middle of the night so it was a bit later at around 10. I was still a bit tired tbh. Warm up was around 3km I didn't do my drills I was tight on time as I had to get back into work again. I had planned the forest trail loop because it was very windy but after one loop on my warm up it was too busy with walkers. The first half of the tempo was quite easy with a strong tail wind but the second half was on a uphill drag and a strong headwind so I slowed down. Average pace was 4:01/km (6:27/m) over all. Then a 3 minute jog before starting the short fartlek of 6x 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. Nice bit of turn over but not aggressive with paces between 3:30-3:20/km, (5:30-25ish/mile?) I had a cross wind on this section so it wasn't a benefit or hindering me. Then a 3km cool down to wrap it up at 65 minutes with around 14.7km

Wednesday

35 minutes recovery
    I starting with laps of the pitch, bit too soggy with all the rain so I moved onto the gravel track.
    6.6km @5:21/km

Thursday

45 minutes easy with 8x20 seconds strides
    9.5km @ 4:46/km

Friday

4x4 minutes threshold with 1 minute jog recovery, then 4x30 seconds hills with 1 minute jog recovery

I was out on the road before 6am. It can take a while to get going for early morning sessions. Warm up of just over 3km. Then plenty of activations, drills and strides. It was a bit breezy but I was doing laps of the town so I was sheltered enough. For the 4x4 minutes thresy I did one lap clockwise then the next anti clockwise and so on. I was happier with my pacing today with the averages for each lap, a lot more smooth.

3:46/km (6:04/m)
    3:44/km (6:00/m)
    3:46/km
    3:44/km

After the last thresy I had a 4 minute shuffle before hitting the 4x 30 seconds hills. I gave the hills a good honest effort as the effort prescribed was 800m effort with around a 60 seconds jog back recovery. Then a nice 3km+ slow cool down to wrap it up at 65 minutes

Saturday

35 minutes recovery on grass.
    Laps of the pitch.
    6.8km @5:14/km

Sunday

80 minutes easy

17.3km @4:40/km

This weeks totals 78.2km (48.5mi) in 6hours 13 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I really admire your discipline!

Top marks for that - I suppose its the benefit of having a coach/running group.
    & it works for you.

I really admire your discipline!

Top marks for that - I suppose its the benefit of having a coach/running group.
    & it works for you.
    Its all solo these days :(

Base Building Week 3

Monday

45 minutes easy with 8x 20 seconds strides in the middle. I was wrapped up well with tights, gloves, jacket, long sleeve but still very cold I think that's why my pace was a bit faster compared to last week....

9.6km @4:40/km

Tuesday

28 minutes tempo plus 7x30 seconds on/off fartlek

Quite a similar session to last Tuesday, only a bit longer. That's the problem with generic plans they can be quite repetitive. The pace prescribed is a bit slower than what I'd usually do on a tempo but that's cool. I'm in no rush and I need to work on my strength. These tempos get a good bit long than what I normally do finishing at 40 minutes on week 12. I got a few funny looks in my 3inch shorts this evening in this wind chill. Good job I wasn't wearing my pink Nike Streak 7s or the neighbours would think I completely lost the plot. Just over three and half kilometres warm up. Plenty of activations, drills and strides. A bit rushed only ten minutes or so. It's very important to do these especially when it's so cold. 28 minute tempo average was 3:58/km (6:23/mile). After the tempo a 3 minute jog before starting the fartlek. The first 30 seconds was a bit too fast(like sub 5 minute mile pace) but the other six were all pretty similar pace and effort of around 3:25/3:26/km pace (5:30/mile). Afterwards, a cool down of nearly 15 minutes to wrap it up at 70 minutes running in total 15.8km. I'm more aware of my cool down pace this year I had a tendency to run my cool down at a easy pace in the past instead of recovery.

Wednesday

35 minutes recovery on grass. I'm starting to enjoy these football pitch laps a bit more. It would be cool to have somewhere like the Phenoix Park nearby for these kind of runs. My legs were quite fresh today.

6.7km @5:11/km

Thursday

45 minutes easy with 8x20 seconds strides. I decided to do this run before work incase the snow comes.
    9.4km @ 4:51/km

I ordered a pair of Nike invincible today. I planned to use them for recovery runs. Grass isn't always a option so I'm hoping to use them on gravel trails.

Friday

4x5 minutes threshold with 2 minute jog recovery, then 4x30 seconds hills with 1 minute jog recovery

Quite windy this evening. I had planned a out and back on the road but I'd have a tailwind then a head wind so not ideal for keeping the effort smooth. So it was laps of my clubs dirt track for this session, which has a small hill in it. Again like Tuesday this session is quite similar to last Friday. I really enjoyed it though, maybe it was the bright evening or that I'm getting fitter. If I had 2 more 5 minutes after the 4th one I could have easily done it. 2 minutes jog on each except for the last one where it took 4 minutes to jog to the hill.

Average pace on each
    3:46/km (6:04/mile)
    3:44/km (6:00/mile)
    3:47/km (6:05-6/mile)
    3:44/km (6:00/mile)

We've a good steep hill beside our track but I'd be running into the wind, so no good for turn over. So a 4 minute jog to another hill in town. Good effort, still running into the wind a bit not too bad overall. Probably 3 to 5k pace at 800 to mile effort. 60 seconds jog down the hill recovery. My cool down was a couple of minutes longer than planned I didn't want to be doing laps of town in 3 ich shorts on a cold windy evening so I headed down to the forest. Just over 70 minutes in total 15.8km or just shy of 10 miles old money.

Saturday

35 minutes recovery on snowy trail.
    6.8km @5:17/km
    Full regalia for this one, hat, gloves, jacket, long sleeve, tights. Man it was cold. I drove down to the forest for shelter from the wind. But with the amount of snow I had to abandoned my car coming home and walk uphill for the last 600m.

Sunday

85 minutes easy
    Very mild and windy. The last 2km were hard going running into the wind and up hill

18km @4:44/km

This weeks totals 82.3km (51.1mi) in 6hours 29 minutes. I'm really enjoying training at the moment despite the weather conditions.

That's a super weeks running lad. Two big sessions there.

• Advertisement

That's a super weeks running lad. Two big sessions there.

Thanks:) I was happy with those sessions. I had a lot more in the tank too, whichhelps the confidence. Also very happy to be breaking 80km/50mile weekly distance for the first time since July.

Base Building Week 4

Monday

45 minutes easy with 8x 20 seconds strides in the middle. I headed out on the country roads for this run. First run in the Nike Invincible, they arrived today so I decided to test them out. Different kind of a run feel. I suppose you get a bit of the Vaporfly feel. The are soft and clunky. I got them for recovery runs so not really for today where I had strides added. They were useless on the strides as you just sink in them. When you pick up the pace they kind of force you to land your forefoot, I'm a fore to mid foot striker. I actually ended up doing 9 strides today.

9.6km @4:43/km

Tuesday

8 x 1 minute @ 2-mile race effort + 4 x 20 second hill reps + 4 x 15 seconds @ 400m race effort

This took me a while to program into my watch... My car broke down coming home from work so my mindest wasn't right. I did this on the club track, its a bit open and it was windy enough. Warm up before the session was the following.

10 minutes easy running
    3 minutes @ Threshold effort (3:46/km or 6:04mile)
    Jog 1 minute
    6 x 20-seconds strides (5k->800m effort) (jog 20 ish seconds recoveries)
    Jog 2 minutes

I made a balls of my strides the track was quite busy and windy. The main session was

8 x 1minute @ 2-mile race effort with jog 30 second recovery. I did the first 4 anticlockwise with the wind mostly on my back then I changed direction and did the next 4 clockwise so into the wind mainly. I saw afterwards my pace slowed down but it didn't feel it at the time. The average pace 3:24/km or 5:29/mile

Then a 4 minutes jog to the hill beside our track.

4 x 20 second hill reps @ 800m race effort with 40-45 seconds recovery. Average pace 3:15/km or 5:14/mile

Then another jog of 4 minutes back to the track.

4 x 15-seconds @ 400m race effort on our new sprint lane with 30ish seconds recovery. Cross wind here so fair enough turnover 2:40-2:55/km pace

Then a good 20 minutes jog cool down to wrap it up at 70 minutes 15.5km @4:36/km

I was quite beat up after that session to be honest. I didn't think I'd find that so hard.

Wednesday

I didn't sleep well last night. Having a bad week at work is the main culprit, a few other things too. I really like my sleep and try to get 8+ hours. I was very tired all day and had to work on a few hours so I missed out on a chance to do my recovery run on grass. The reason I bought those Nike invincible was to run recoveries and shakeouts on the forest trail when grass isn't a option. Yeah they were grand but you can't beat grass for a nice easy recovery.

40 minutes recovery on trail
    7.8km @5:15/km

Thursday

45 minutes easy with 8x20 seconds strides.
    9.4km @ 4:43/km

Friday

6x3' with 1' recovery, 6x 30 seconds hills

Another bad day at work and late home meant I couldn't get out to the country roads where I wanted to do his session because I'd be sheltered from the wind. I think its important to have the head right going into a session. I'm normally quite good at switching off but struggled this week. I think I was a bit jaded going into this one. I'd be better having my dinner then heading out later after chilling out.

This plan gives specific warm ups today like Tuesday today was the "standard pre race warm" There is a lot from this plan I'll take on board and continue to use in my training after I'm finished but I don't think I use this warm up

10 minutes easy running (I ran 12 minutes then did my activations and drills)
    3 minutes @ Threshold effort (3:48/km or 6:07mile)
    Jog 1 minute
    6 x 20-seconds strides (5k->800m effort) with jog 20 second recoveries. (I gave myself 60seconds recovery today)
    Jog 2 minutes.

6x3' @ CV I'll pulled back on the prescribed pace a bit today. It was out slightly down hill into the wind. I found running into the wind hard enough. Then back with a slight up hill drag but the wind on my back coming back so not as hard. For the 1 minute recovery most times I jogged them but I think I walked one and shuffled one as well.

Average pace on the 6x3'
    3:37/km or 5:49/mile
    3:39/km or 5:52/mile
    3:40/km or 5:53/mile

Then a 5 minute jog to the hill for the 6x30 seconds. I enjoy hill repeats. 1 minute recovery jog back down the hill. Average pace on the hills was 3:23/km or 5:28/mile. Pretty short cool down around 12 minutes to bring it to just over 70 minutes total.

16.4km @4:29/km

I stepped on the weighing scales for the first time in ages, 73.3kg. I thought I'd be a bit more. I'd like to be 5 or 6kg lighter if races were back. I'm going trying to loose weight but I'm off junk for lent so I'll check again at Easter to see if I loose much if any. I noticed the sole of my left foot was a bit tender after the session. Gotta watch that.

Saturday

40 minutes recovery on grass.
    7.5km @5:20/km
    All good with my left foot during that run but some slight discomfort during the dayafter the run.

Sunday

I took today off running... I just brought the dog out to the bog for a walk. Maybe I'm been over the top but I'm just cautious after my foot injury last year. I knew this weeks training had the potential to cause problems. I suppose I'll have to decide will I stick with this plan, or a modification of it, or something else. I was on a 30+ days running streak there.

This weeks totals 66km. I'll take today off as well and run easy tomorrow if I've no issues today then see how it goes for the week.

A bit hectic the past few weeks so no log update..

Monday

Easy-ish 45 minutes ( I didn't look at my watch just by going feel)
    10.14k @4:32/km

Tuesday

8km Progression

2km warm up

8km progression in 32:29 average 4:03/km

4:22, 4:16, 4:13, 4:07, 4:02, 3:57, 3:52, 3:40

2km cool down

12.09 @4:15/km

First run in the Nike tempo even though I bought them last summer. 1st impressions I really like them.

Wednesday

Easy 35 minutes
    7.35km @4:46/km

I got a text after my run saying I was the winner of the local St Patrick's day virtual 10km last week. I didn't except that but I don't count virtual races as a race. I ran it as a tempo effort except for the last km at 6am on Paddy's day. 38:10 on a good hilly route, it was a good workout. The last km made the time look more impressive.

Thursday

50 minutes easy
    10.6km @ 4:43/km

Friday

Rotating km's 4xThreshold/Float

3km warm up

Threshold/Float

3:44/4:11
    3:46/4:07
    3:43/4:09
    3:42/4:08

8km in 31:30 average pace 3:56/km

3km cool down

14:38km @4:15/km

Saturday

Rest

Sunday

Hilly 85 minutes

18.3km @4:39/km

72.9km this week

Monday

Easy 50 minutes
    10.7k @4:41/km
    Like last week I didn't look at the watch on this run.

Tuesday

6x1km Threshold with 60 seconds jog recovery

3km warm up

On my clubs gravel track for this one. I collected my prize for winning the local 10km before I started the session. Slight cut down as the session progressed.

Splits
    3:50, 3:47, 3:44, 3:42, 3:40, 3:38

All very smooth, lovin' the Nike Tempo.

3km cool down

13.1km @4:23/km

Wednesday

Easy 40 minutes
    8.4km @4:48/km

Thursday

50 minutes easy
    10.6km @ 4:44/km

Friday

10km Tempo

3km warm up

I was pacing my brother for this one. Peach of a day but quite breezy. He was hoping to run 8km in sub 32. Unfortunately for him he started to struggle from 5km on and missed out. I have to say from my point of view running 3:59/km is quite easy even into the head wind. I was able to chat away to to my brother at that pace, tell him to tuck in behind me when running into the wind, let him know to ease off when climbing on hills, and just general pacing encouragement etc. I'm quite surprised with my fitness to be honest. When we got to the 8km mark I pushed on a bit but not working too hard either.

Splits
    3:58, 3:58, 3:58, 4:02, 3:56, 4:06, 4:10, 4:07, 3:47, 3:41

10km in 39:51

3km cool down

Saturday

Rest

Sunday

90+ minutes easy. Not quite as hilly as last Sunday still not a bad run with 244m elevation gain

Peach of a morning

20210404-082703.jpg

20210404-082650.jpg

20km @4:38/km

Happy Easter

79km this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Fantastic scenery. Do you run off road there?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Fantastic scenery. Do you run off road there?

Not really anymore I should head into the mountains more often. There are plenty of forestry tracks and sheep paths that I could run on in that spot. When I first started running in the 00s myself and a friend would run off road there a few times a week. That spot is called the Ladies Brae

Its good to see more logs active again! So inspired by all of you I've resurrected my log. I had been considering starting a new log but for continuity I think its better to keep this one going. So what's been happening since I last logged here? From a running point of view my last post has a hint to what happened. Too fast, too hilly, and too much of an increase in load on that 20km run. The following week I had a very sore left achillies. I've had previous history with achillies issues, during the build up to DCM '16 I had quite a severe achillies injury. 18 months struggling with more downs than ups. That time I ended up getting ESWT because I wasn't responding to the rehab. I actually thought this time around initially it was just as bad. But thankfully it seems not to be the case.

For April, May and June I was still running two steps forward then one back. I was cycling on an old mountain bike too but I hated it. It actually helped things so I guess not all bad. It also have me an opportunity to explore the mountains more too which I really enjoyed. Normally running takes up most my free time. During this time as well as the achillies issue, the problem with flare ups in the soles of my feet was happening now and again. That was the injury that first happened in the summer of 2020. It flare ups time to time every since. Particularly if I'm doing sessions in carbon plated shoes.

July was actually a good month, just over 300km of running only. So no more cycling. All easy miles. But I never seem to learn from my mistakes. I was down with the inlaws in Achill for the August Bank Holiday weekend and went for a long, hilly, and too fast run. I ended up having another set back with my achillies. I couldn't face going back cycling but continued the rehab and racked up 160km for August. September things started to improve towards the end of the month I started doing very light progression runs. I managed just over 190km for the month. October saw me reintroduce sessions again once a week and 240km for the month.

November my life changed forever with me becoming a father for the first time. From a running point of view it was a great month too. Almost 285km and consistency with sessions too. I've been keeping all my running very local and mainly on very flat and light gravel trail so I think that helps the body. I do miss heading out on the hilly roads it has to be said... December so far has been much of the same but I'm back at work so trying to find the balance with everything has been much harder. I said to myself if I can get 50km a week with one session and one 10 mile run until things settle then it's a good week.

So what's the plan? Well covid and injuries aside I've registered for a local 10km in mid February. It won't be pretty but that's the short term goal. It will probably be a rank day on open and hilly course so I'm not setting the bar too high. After that I want to target longer races. I'd also like to do a 5km time trial in January to get a better picture of where I am fitness wise. So that's basically what I've been up too since I last posted here. I should also add I'm not been coached at the moment. Because I can't commit to a plan or to group training at the moment is the main reason. 

Great to see you back man. I've missed your log. Learn the lessons and keep the consistency going.

Certainly ain't easy balancing being a new dad too. I was stressed out the wazoo with our first. It was a complete shock to me.

I could have an entry to adare 10k if you're interested. I doubt I'll do it.

Its a shock to the system for some one who was used to 8 to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep 🤣 Thanks for the offer but I'll probably keep all races local in spring

This week

Monday: Easy 50 minutes

I had the morning of work but still short enough on time I had planned 60 minutes 10.56km @4:48/km or 7:40ish/mile

Tuesday: 3x1km, 4x400, 3x1km with 1 minute rest on everything

Warm up 3km I hadn't much time for drills and activations.

3x1km tempo - thresy 3:48, 3:46, 3:46

4x400 76, 73, 73, 73

3x1km progression thresy - 10k 3:44, 3:38, 3:36

Nice evening for a session. I completely overshot the 400s I was aiming for 77s but I really enjoyed running that fast if I'm honest. That was my first time running fast in a long time with the exception of max 30 seconds hills or strides. I could feel those 400s in the the last 3x1km. Around 2km cool down

Wednesday: Easy/Recovery 50 minutes

Heavy legs after yesterday's 400s. 9.52km @ 5:19/km or 8:32/mile 50 minutes is probably 10 minutes too long for a recovery run.

Thursday: Easy 50 minutes with 4x20 strides included.

I was called into work the night before this run as if I don't have enough sleepless nights so I did this in the morning before I went into work again. I was quite tired to be fair. I still had those 400s in my legs but the strides helped alot. I was feeling really good on the last mile home after the strides. 10.29km @4:55/km or 7:52/mile

Friday: 8km Tempo

3km warm up again not much time for drills and activations. 8km in 30:38 or an average pace of around 3:49/km or close to 6:08/mile. I was feeling quite good during this session. Working but not very hard if I'm honest. A few drags up and down on the route so it's quite a honest route for tempo. No wind at all so that always makes it easier. 2km cool down.

Saturday: Rest day

But not really.

Sunday: Easy 10 miles

16.13km @4:50/km or 7:44/mile. I could have gone longer today and my long run will be my weak point for the next while but this week I got out 6 days instead of the usual 5 which I've been doing the past month. So I didn't want to bump the weekly mileage too much.

Next week the plan was to be either 4-5 x1mile close to 10km pace or possibly 6-8 x1km I was thinking the ks. Both are big sessions but the mileage should be down next week a good bit. Then I see I can go to a walk in Vaccine centre so I might try that which will mean no session or maybe some turnover stuff later in the week. On St Stephens there's a untimed 5km fun run here on a pig of a route which I hope to run hard but not 5k hard effort more like a bit harder than thresy effort. Saying that it might be recovery pace. Also mile paces I post here are guesstimates so not as accurate as pace per k

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

great to see you logging again!

Nice training despite the chaos - that 8k tempo was nice!

Enjoy the joys of fatherhood - some of my fondest memories of my kids being that small. I'm that old that we didn't have decent mobile phones to record every move they made at that age. I do still regale them (18/21 year olds) of tales of shows we watched and things we done (or may have done in my head)!.

Its a lovely few years ahead - enjoy them - I'm jealous at times of young parents yet happy with my own lifestyle at the same time.

• Advertisement

Thanks A. I appreciate it. This week my plan to go to walk in vaccine centre fell through. So business as normal Monday and Tuesday.

Monday

Easy 50' minutes with 4x 12 seconds hills included. 10.2km @4:56/km or 7:56/mi

I was quite tried before this run. My legs were fine but energy levels low. Towards the end I was feeling better and then the hills seemed to give me a good lift.

Tuesday

8x3 minutes with 90 seconds shuffle recovery.

I had said last week maybe 6-8×1km or 4-5 x1mile at 10km pace but after feeling tired yesterday I thought it would be too taxing even though I was feeling good today. So I decided for shorter reps and more recoveries but still getting good distance and keep the quality up. Warm up 3km with some activations and drills.Then into 8x3 minutes averaging 3:34.5/km or 5:45/mile. The first one was the slowest at 3:37/km and the fastest 3:33/km but they were all pretty smooth. It was calm enough evening during the warm up but a cold Eastern breeze picked up as the session went on so I kept on my long sleeves and gloves. After 1 minute shuffle recovery on each rep I was feeling like I was good to go again but I kept the recovery at 90 seconds. In and out route on a fairly flat strech but running into that cold headwind particularly on rep 5 and 7 was noticeable. Again like last weeks tempo I was feeling quite good and more so as the session went on. 3km cool down afterwards with just over 14km in total

I think doing sessions in time rather than distance is probably better road runners but prefer distance, it probably comes from doing group sessions on the track. I was considering doing 8x800 but with the 3 minutes distance it worked about at around 830-840 metres. Looking at a DTC insta video of the whole crew doing their drills together has me missing the track and the crew. I always feel like a eegit doing the drills and activations on the side of the road.

Wednesday

I had today scheduled as a rest day as I had too much on in the evening. TBH I was glad I did because I didn't get much sleep last night. 

Thursday

Easy 60 minutes 12km @ 5:01/km or 8:04/mile

This run was after dinner so I was feeling sluggish and full. But I think not having a recovery run yesterday didn't help either. I normally find a doing 30-40 minutes recovery run the day after a hard session helps the legs for the rest of the week.

Friday - Christmas eve

Easy 60 minutes again 12.8km @ 4:47/km or 7:42/mi

Got out later than planned so headlight on for a wet run in the forest. I was feeling much better today.

Saturday - Christmas day

Rest day

Sunday - St. Stephens Day

5km Fun Run

Perfect conditions during the warm up of around 4km on my own but it started lashing before the run. Thankfully the wind wasn't too bad. Good to catch up with club mates and the whipper snappers from the track too. It's a non timed run with donations to the cancer section in our hospital. The aim was to average around 3:40/km or 5:54/mi for the run which I'm hoping will be close to my 10km pace in a few months. The 1st km is a quick down hill followed by 2km climbing. It's probably too steep of a climb if you were racing for time but not if you're racing for a place then it's a good hard one. The 4th km is flat but you're only coming around after the 2km up hill. The last km is down hill again with some sharpe bends near the finish to stop you sprinting. I actually never use this route for sessions even though it goes by my house. Most the young crew were running it as a tempo so I was happy to hold on with them. It was a quick but controlled 1st and last km but the other 3km were dialled back alot. My time was 18:19 with a 3:39km average or 5:52/mi and 5th overall. The top two men were 16:10 and 16:20. It was a very good session and a nice confidence booster as I wasn't beat up after it and particularly this evening which is often the case after a solid session. I wore my next % so that helps the recovery too. I did another 5km cool down catching up with everyone.

64km or 39.7miles in total this week down 9.5km on last week. But last week was up on previous weeks average. I'm not sure what's the story with next week. Lots of people isolating at work so it will probably be a busy one. Enjoy the Christmas those of you who get a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Congrats on becoming a Dad, it’s a life changing event.

Nice 5k and good to see you coming back into form

TbL

Thanks TBL. Just a mid week update.

Monday

Easy 60' minutes 

12.8km @4:45/km or 7:39/mi

No issues in with the legs after yesterday's run. Actually a bit of a spring in my step if I'm honest. I was thinking during this run. Even though the past 18 months were rough enough from a running point of view. Running a 18:19 5km on a hard course without racing it is pretty decent. Coincidentally my first race report on this log was a 18:20 on a good course. I know I'm always overly optimistic but if I actually trained for a 5k I think I'd knock over a minute of that time in 8-10 weeks no problem. I said in another post here I hope to run a 5k TT in January to see where I am. Ideally it would be on a parkrun but I can't see that happening. I'm going to set a target of 17:35 for that now training of 10k stuff.

I got my booster after this run today. Hopefully I don't get any bad reaction to it.

Tuesday

50 minutes easy plus 4x 10 seconds hills

11.23km @4:56/km or 7:56/mi

If I didn't get my booster yesterday today was to be a broken tempo of 6×1km with 45 seconds jog recovery. I was feeling fine after the booster but I gave it 24 hours before running.

Wednesday

Broken tempo 6x1km with 60 seconds jog recovery plus 6x20 seconds with 40 seconds off recovery

Very mild this evening short sleeves, no gloves, slight breeze. Perfect for a session. Warm up 3km plus the activations and drills. 1st rep good 3:48 and a nice chilled 1 minute recovery jog back at near 6:00/km into the 2nd rep. Going good until 500mts and I feel the tendon from my big toe on my left foot tightening up a few meters further a sharpe pain in the centreof of sole. Same **** again. I hobbled another few meters curling my toes back and stopped. I did some stretches on it and then continued on before stopping again at the end of the rep with some discomfort. More stretches then a 2km jog home where it was okay again.

When I got home I was fairly down about it. Its such a frustrating injury. Stretching it and so on I may have aggravated more unfortunately because going to bed I was aware of it with a dull pain. I think I ate my weight in Heroes sweets this evening feeling sorry for myself. Ahhhhhh shite just when things started looking good again. I'll take a few days off and continue with the rehab on it. I can't blame the carbon plated shoes I was wearing the fuelcell rebel v2. I wish I took today off and waited until Thursday or Friday after that 5km

2768km for 2021, my lowest in some years. The past 3 months things were looking good. 2022 is looking similar to the past 18 months

Thursday

I woke up with no pain or discomfort in my foot but took a rest day. I didn't do any stretching on it incase it was inflamed. Just give it a couple of days to cool off.

Friday

Same again, no issues but another rest day.

Saturday - New Years Day

50 minutes easy

I wasn't sure how this would go so I planned 50 minutes maximum. No issues during the run or even after it.

10.6km @ 4:50/km or 7:47/mi

Sunday

Rest day.

I woke up and it was fine but as the day went on I had a dull pain further back in my foot. Not quite the heel but still on the inside of my sole I dread it's PF ? But as far as I can remember it's the same symptoms as July 2020.

It's the same again this morning. Both days I was walking around in my feet in the morning. I'm going to have to mind it for a few weeks until covid settles down and I can see a physio.

After the previous weeks downer things were looking up this week...

Monday

Rest day

No issues today. Feeling good.

Tuesday

40 minutes easy 

8.45km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mile

No problems on this run. 40 minutes was the maximum I was planning today. Loops in the forest with no headlight. I hadn't planned on going into forest but it was pelting hailstones for the most part of this run so trying to get some shelter. First time wearing tights this winter! I ran a bit faster than I'd like but I was trying to stay warm.

Wednesday

50 minutes easy

10.32km @ 4:53/km or 7:52/mile

Again no problems on this run. 50 minutes was the maximum planned today. Back to the shorts again!

Thursday

45 minutes easy

9.5km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mile

I originally had today as a rest day but I had other commitments on Friday so I swapped days. It would have been better to take today off but I was confident after the previous two days. Again 50 minutes was the maximum. At the 9km mark I noticed my foot getting sore so I left it at 45 minutes. It was fairly mild flare up but better safe than sorry for the sake of 5 minutes. No pain after the run.

Friday

Rest day.

No problems today. Feeling good.

Saturday

70 minutes easy

15km @ 4:41/km or 7:32/mile

I was going to run loops of the forest again but after one loop I went out on the road. A few hills on this route compared to the flat forest trail. I had 70 minutes maximum planned for this run but I probably could have went further today without any issues. All good.

Sunday

Easy 50 minutes

10.47km @ 4:50/km or 7:47/mile

I didn't get out until evening. Around town with a few hills on the route. No problems again.

Weekly distance 53.7km (4 hours 17 minutes)

After last week's pessimism I'm delighted how that week went. I'm pretty confident it's a flare up of my old injury not PF. There is no stiffness in the morning and it's responding well to doing the old rehab routine. Running in firmer runners help too. If this week goes good I hope to add 6-8x800 or 6-8x3 minutes tempo with 1 minute recovery later in the week. If it flares up again I'll be keeping it easy or rest depending.

Midweek update

Monday Rest day then Tuesday the plan was 50 minutes easy. On Tuesdays run every thing was going great until about 3/4 way through my second loop when the outside ankle on my left started getting quite sore. Kinda like the feeling I went over on it or twisted it. None of which happened. So I had to hobble hone the last 3km. I actually contemplated doing a larger 10km loop that day. Good job I didn't or I'd be hobbling 5km home. The run ended up been 45 minutes around 9.5km Anyway it was quite sore afterwards and even sore Wednesday. I was doing a day course Wednesday for work so I was sitting all day Today (Thursday) it was fine again but no running and on my feet all day as usual. I'll take tomorrow off too and run on the grass over the weekend if I can. Quite frustrating, but hey it is what it is at this stage. I was thinking back to last Sundays run and I remember having a pinch on that ankle at one point but it went away quite quickly so I thought nothing of it. So this latest setback has put a end to my 5km tt plan for January and most likely ruled out my 10km race in February. Any thing over 37:xx is pointless... There will be a few 10km races around Easter that I had hoped to be aiming for sub 36. I suppose I'll see how this ankle and my sole issue develop in the next weeks before I make race plans.

Sh*te. In fairness you're being very sensible so hopefully you're luck is due to change.

Saturday

45 minutes easy

9.56km @ 4:44/km or 7:37/mi

There was a game on the pitch beside me so I had to drive to the other community pitch but there was training on it too. It has a gravel track around it about 800-900m so I ran on that instead. I was a little apprehensive but it worked out fine. No issues on the run or after it.

Sunday

60 minutes easy

12.4km @ 4:53/km or 7:52/mi

On the community pitch beside me this time. Mixed between grass and gravel track. No issues again so it's looking good to resume training next week.

Maybe this ankle issue was a good thing giving me another down week to give my sole issue more time to recover. Now that I've ruled out that 10km in mid February I won't be rushing. Although I want to get racing soon. Its in my nature to race regularly. Hoping to run 5 days this week with a 6-8× 3' broken tempo on Friday

2022 Goals

I never wrote down my goals for 2022. I've only ran one 10 miles race in my life. I've a soft PB of 64:04 in 2016, can you call it a PB after one race? Anyway I want to target that distance. Hopefully I'll get to race it a few times and get a sub 60 PB. Maybe target Roscomon in the summer if it goes ahead or another Midland s10 miler. I definitely want to target more 10km races too. I've a PB of 35:56 in 10km races but I've never really targeted that distance in the past 5 years. Again I'll be aiming to PB in a 10km too. Although I admit I've a long way to go there. I had alluded to a desire to race a half and push on for a full marathon, but I've had a rough 18 months with injuries so my annual mileage has been down the past 2 years. So with that in mind I'm mindful of pushing on with the mileage for big distance races like a half or full marathon. I think I'd like to have 2000 miles in the legs fairly consistently so I can truly target those distances with confidence. Parenthood brings new challenges to balance running and everything else to that also plays a factor into goals but I'm hoping to change my job this year too where I won't be working 60 hour weeks. So that should help the balance.

So in short my running goals/targets for 2022

10mile race(s) and a sub 60 PB

10km races targeting sub 36

Run 3200+km 

• Advertisement

Great targets and sensible approach. I'm similar to yourself. I think my 10 mile PB from one attempt is 62.30 or something like that. Would love a crack at that PB at some stage. Similar to yourself I'd hope to be chasing the 10k pb in the summer too. Best of luck with the targets for the year.

Advertisement