Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Yet again you are all over the place with your arguments. I’m talking about 2020. Never mind, pointless conversation anyway.

You see what you want to see. Could not care less.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

And? There were still winter viruses putting the hospital system under pressure, there was a normal death rate in the nz winter. There were no excess deaths as the op claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

From the article I posted

'However, a number of sources within the Stadium Working Group and in political circles told the Irish Examiner that there are increasing fears that Nphet may object to full capacity crowd reintroductions, at the meeting with Government '

NPHET getting full control yet again and whatever they say will go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Can you not wait until tomorrow & Friday and see what comes before getting yourself in a twist yet again and jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This is a good test to see how the government reacts if the gang says we shouldnt have full crowds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

From 5% when Tony Holohan was asked a few weeks ago, to a week later "around 30%" from Stephen Donnelly, to another week later now "50%".

When all along, from the timing of the initial question to Tony, all the publicly released data at the time from the UK and US showed 40-60%. Which would obviously have been by far the most likely scenario for here also given its the same virus and broadly similar demographics.

Its mind boggling that nobody calls NPHET on their lies. They should have been forced to release the data for this weeks ago, but obviously didn't want to do so, so that they could justify the restrictions staying in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, the teachers are usually fine, the unions seem to go to bat for unwanted issues on their behalf which causes all the problems, looks like they're under strict non interference orders this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Did I read that right the UK is scrapping masks as well ?

Thanks be to fukk for that , these backwards hillbillies here will have to follow eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

"...increasing fears that NPHET *may* object to full capacity..." suddenly becomes "NPHET getting full control yet again and whatever they say will go"

Jesus. Sakes like.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Denmark experiences big rebound in cases after relaxing some restrictions. This is why you need to be steady and not do ridiculous Boris like bollix like abolishing all masks.

Denmark reported a record high of 38,759 new Covid infections, a 37% jump on the 28,283 cases detected on Wednesday two weeks ago.

The Copenhagen Post reports this alarming stat based on per capita data: “Were Denmark as populated as the UK, its count would be 420,000.” A further 16 people died from virus-related reasons.

It comes after Denmark on Monday ended restrictions on cinemas, museums and cultural institutions after in measures a month intended to clamp down on Omicron, with public venues reopening on a day Denmark also broke its record-case tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Truly awful. Another 28.759 runny nose. Quick, lock down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think you'd be well advised to avoid all forms of media until the letter is inevitably leaked tomorrow evening. Endless speculation is not going to do you, or other posters on here, any good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You don't know how serious cases were, some of them were more than a runny nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Nor do you, but here you are with your panic and insinuation.

It's not outside the bounds of possibility that the UK would have recorded 420k positive in a day, had they not run out of tests during the peak of their wave. They certainly estimated that there were days with far more than 420k cases.

Why one earth anyone would care about cases in isolation, or even utter the words "clamp down on Omicron" at this stage is completely beyond me.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

I might be reading this wrong, just what is posted here.. But the restrictions were lifted on Monday? According to this.... today being Wednesday...so unless almost 40 thousand people went baloobas on monday shiftng eachother at the cinema, then showed symptoms Monday night, tested on Tuesday and results positive in today, I would think that those positives were from cases caught last week....and not since Monday.. ?

Anyway..the article linked is actually alot of positive news about the fact that there are less chances of long lasting effects, hospital numbers are stable etc..I saw this article positive?

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Come on now, Denmark easies restrictions Monday and as a result has record cases Wednesday from people who were likely tested Tuesday? Think about it. You don’t even need Charles Babbage’s difference engine to work that one outlet

If this is true, it's an absolute disgrace if restrictions aren't eased as soon as possible. Tomorrow, if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why would he when he's guaranteed the job at the end of the year without the grief of an election? The MD in him understands the seriousness of where we still are and it'll be easing of restrictions slowly for now. It's how we do things. Nice to see the old "if the government would only do what I wan"t posts coming back, it's a sign of normality!

Just heard that the WHO are arguing that countries such as Ireland shouldn't ease restrictions because that would increase the risk of creating a new variant.

These people / NPHET have an excuse for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s already sounding like it will be a “phased” reopening :(

an abundance of caution until after the long Paddys weekend for sure

Ya can’t be having fun with the extra day off

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

They can't even give us a half hour without fearmongering...

Bunch of C.U.N.T.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So stay under restrictions to stop further possible restrictions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

All indications have been that it will be a phased reopening, based solely on the words from the mouths of the actual people who are supposed to make decision.

It will be the usual bollocks. "Here are a few sops, we will allow you to stay out until 12 but you can't do this and that until I say so." etc etc.

They are like one of those bosses who won't agree to anything without changing some details just to show who is in control. Its pathological, full reopening might be the rational choice but we have to have it phased because thats how they do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I always laugh when I read that because the UK are removing restrictions then we will be forced to as well.

They couldn't give a fiddler's bollock what is done abroad if it's against the narrative.

On the one hand Boris did that to save his ass and on the other they are far more likely to protest and question than we are.

The government and the "advisors" will be dragged kicking and screaming through hell before masks are abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why are they so wedded to masks? Is it a case that they are being seen to do something however ineffective that thing is?

Have you a link to that? I can't find anything.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

There's chat now that the north are going to reopen nightclubs from next week. Covid passes may also be scrapped for pubs, restaurants and cinemas but be kept for nightclubs and other indoor standing events with more than 500 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I keep wondering this, too. Why are we a "long way away" from removing masks but England is doing it next week? When there's no apocalypse over there will our lot adapt? It's as if there's a need to put on a show even if there's no substance behind it.

Advertisement