Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Signal issue fixed but bugs remain....

Drop down menu buttons all disappeared the other day, took a restart to get it back.

Google Pay only works when it wants for some reason - have to keep wallet on me just in case.

Have 2 profiles on phone, one for work. When switching now the phone is super laggy when switching between. This wasn't an issue before and my last phone, a 3 year old Mate 20 Pro had no issue with this.

On the plus side, auto rotate works much better and isn't brain-dead like previously.

I like the phone hardware a lot but the software experience seems like a step back in many areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

Do a full wipe of your phone. Haven't had any of those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

I've had the same basic layout with Nova for years. I like a clean homescreen, so just have my most used apps in the bottom bar, with a folder containing about 20 of my most common apps. I used to do Android theming for years, and would do everything from recolouring all assets in the ROM through to icon packs. Go for the easy option these days 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

The signal issue was my main gripe as I listen to streaming stuff while jogging & the cutting in/out when the signal dropped was very annoying. At my desk it's gone back to LTE from the H+ after the Dec update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭micks_address

So much for Android auto stability..tons of disconnects on 30 minutes journey today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

I had 3 disconnects in 40 minutes on Saturday. Going on a trip tomorrow so I'll be monitoring it closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 wellysbw

I had phone restarting issues but they've improved since the update. Only 1 restart in 4 days since update.

Still no joy on the headphones. No update on tracking since Dec 27th. Generic response from Google

Disappointing to say the least with Google. This never happened with all my years owning OnePlus phones

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

In the same boat. Got tracking on the 27th but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Thanks for this. Copied something similar but stuck with the new layout and icons.

I actually like the large 'At a glance' widget. But it's pointless using it as even when you turn the stock 'at a glance' off the date remains and sits on top of the widget. Anyone know a workaround that doesn't involve a new launcher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I was considering buying a Pixel 6 but am not sure now, seems to be a lot of negative feedback on this thread. Is it all just related to the December update that crippled the signal or is the Pixel 6 still worth getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

Just picked up a 6 at the weekend and really liking it so far. Battery great. Camera great. Android 12 very smooth. I missed the messing around with the update bugs in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

The phone is grand now, it definitely launched with some bugs and added the reception bug but they have since been fixed.

It wasn't a huge upgrade for me coming from a P30 Pro but I'd say it was worth it given the lowish price and the headphones offer.

If you're upgrading from a recent flagship phone that's working fine it's not going to be worth it as much, but if you need a new phone anyway I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Won't it be a big upgrade from the mi 9 t pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

I got a reply to my email about headphones, basically saying "we're still working on it" so could be a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Probably not in many noticable ways. The Xiaomi seems to have had a decent camera to start with and performance-wise, there won't be much difference to speak of in day-to-day tasks.

For reference, I came from a OnePlus 5 (2017) and only the camera is the significant area of improvement. The OP5 camera was good without being brilliant in 2017 so one of the best cameras of 2022 in the price bracket was worth a punt especially with the headphone offer. In other areas, maybe the Pixel 6 is marginally faster/smoother etc. but nothing to get too excited about and that was coming from a phone that was over 4 years old - if the OP5 camera was better then I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I am happy enough with the Pixel 6. Miss the notification LED and notification slider on the side (for instant and discrete setting to vibrate/silent) and the OP5 was certainly more svelte and pocket-friendly. With the Google phone, you're getting a stock Android firmware which doesn't have all the custom bells and whistles that you might get from other manufacturers. How much this affects you will depend on how you view the ones you use. It doesn't really bother me but many others here did moan a bit about certain missing things. Upside is regular and guaranteed future updates for some time.

It's up to you but, unless there's a pressing reason that you need to upgrade, I'd hold on to your current phone for another year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

i called them out of frustration and same reply. headphones could be out in next 2 days or 2 hours they dont know - no comp for delay - since Google team is working v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v hard to deliver pending orders......i respectfully said ok and hung up.....!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

For reference, I came from a OnePlus 5 (2017) and only the camera is the significant area of improvement.

Peoples comparative view from their previous phone really depends on what they used their phone for. In reality, these 2 phones are worlds apart when just comparing their hardware specs alone.

What sets this Pixel apart from previous versions (and most other phones) is their Tensor CPU that allows it to harness the power of Google AI & machine learning on the device itself rather than in the cloud. This then allows for features rich camera recording & editing capabilities of photos & videos and live translation to be performed in real time.

Plus the Titam M2 security chip makes this one of the most secure Android devices enhancing user privacy. This is probably the main reason I have been reluctant to use a Chinese branded android phone to date. OnePlus has a sketchy track record for their devices when it comes to privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭MickH503

You'll really only hear from the folks with problems, so I wouldn't say this thread is representative of all owners. I've had pretty much zero issues with my pro since launch. Would like to have gotten the headphones by now but that's my only real complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The fingerprint scanner was garbage at launch. It's much better now but not quite as good as the OnePlus 7 Pro I came from which is still a bit disappointing but no longer a deal breaker. The software has the odd glitch for me but nothing major and my OnePlus did the same kind of things anyway. I'm growing to like it more these days but the absolute balls Google made of the December update would leave me worried they're liable to break something major on the phone with any future update.

• Advertisement

I've literally never had an issue with the fingerprint scanner, couldn't understand what the furore was about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

anybody finding an issue with the Smart lock feature, I have it set for my home to be a trusted place but very often when I reach out for my phone I have to enter my PIN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I've come from a Pixel 3 and I can't fault this phone, tis great.

The free headphones are awesome too, I thought I would sell them unopened but I couldn't resist and wouldn't dream of selling them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

True, the Pixel 6 hardware is capable of so much more but, for what I use day to day, I can't say that it matters or that I'd notice the difference. Ymmv of course

I believe every 4 hours you have to re-enter your PIN to unlock the device. However, I have noticed recently I appear to be having an issue with the phone not connecting to my watch over Bluetooth and the phone has to be restarted to get it to work properly. I was hoping this would be fixed in the latest update but unfortunately the problem still persists.

How do you file a bug report with Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is the Now Playing icon missing from the lock screen for everyone or is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭MickH503

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

"But first you'll have to unlock your device."

Smart lock doesn't seem to work right on this phone. Constantly it's locking my phone when I am at home despite the fact that it has my place set up as a trusted place and shouldn't be doing it.

I never had this problem with my OnePlus 8 Pro. Smart lock worked perfectly but with the Pixel 6 Pro, the GPS seems a little less sturdy and accurate than what I had on OnePlus.

It's odd though, as GPS in Google Maps is fine, but when I'm trying to add it to smart lock, it's bouncing around a little bit to the house next door, over the road, the house the other side etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Yup it's fairly flaky, I've a Garmin watch which is always connected but it still locks. Also have my workplace & home set along with on-body detection but still see the annoying message "phone was manually locked" way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭micks_address

Android auto all over the shop with my car. Never once had an issue with apple car Play

Advertisement