Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2022 and whingeing students

Options

Comments

I mean, if their home working environment wasn’t ideal it wouldn’t have been anyways on a normal year, as I said. So it’s not relevant to the discussion of predicted grades, because there’s no relation.

On mental health… I can’t speak for others but it’s the points inflation that’s making me more anxious. So installing a hybrid exam is counterintuitive for me. While others might prefer it.. but neither can they speak for me and for many others in my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very true, how we got here is just extraordinary, I'm not minimising the challenges students face but whilst no defender of Norma Foley (utterly dreadful), every effort has been made to support students.

Whatever about the fist year of the Pandemic and that was tough, allowing this pandering to continue is just beyond absurd and alot of it being pushed by certain media outlets 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

If you were consistently participating there is no need to be afraid that you may have a bad day when you do not perform good enough in one exam hence ruining your chances of a better future.

Most of these kids who protest are those who studied and participated.

Some other who perhaps decided to have more fun just hope they get "easy" questions and will have some luck on LC exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s exactly what they’ll try-the mental health card has been played to death now- life isn’t a bed of Roses and sometimes you must sacrifice and work hard to get to an end goal. These lot of whimps want to skip that hard bit of course and have it handed on a gold plated plate. Because they’re worth it.

The notion of “predicted” (ie made up) grades is the greatest load of rubbish I’ve ever came across. Thankfully teachers know and acknowledge this too and are resisting the urge to pander to these princesses. The LC had been dumbed down so much now it may as well be abolished if any more is chipped away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Our education speaks for itself in terms of highly skilled workers being employed by multi nationals.

Like it or not, our education system is very good.

People say the LC is a memory test. Then why is it always the smartest who end up with the highest points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

LOL, 'why' a person wants to do a subject. What is this, Britain's Got Talent?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You don't think it's important that a person has a passion for a subject? No, science interviews in Cambridge really aren't Britain's got talent.

Actually it's not. Could you provide a correlation between LC points and IQ? We do know that fee paying schools dominate but we also know that fee paying students actually do worse when they get to university.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and that you may have had troubles at home. I did too during my leaving cert so I totally empathise.

I know multiple people who got 500 points or thereabouts who really didn't go anywhere career wise. Meanwhile I also know plenty of people in my industry(software) that would have gotten 300-400 points in the leaving cert. They're most definitely not dumb and plenty of them were making in the low six figures in their thirties.

On top of that, you'll find it's not unusual for people who got on poorly in the leaving cert to actually perform very well in college and beyond. So I can guarantee you that plenty of those people in roles in MNCs did not do amazing leaving certs.

• Advertisement

So they did bad in the LC and were making 6 figures in their 30's.

Sounds like the education system is pretty good to me.

Having worked there I can confirm that. Dominated by people from fee paying from schools whereby you pay to get your child into university. I was actively trying to combat that. I actually asked one Harrow alumni how he got into science as he was totally unsuited to the post.

You're ignoring the fact that fee pay students dominate but often do worse at university. In other words the wrong students are paying their way in through the bank of mammy and daddy.

According to you the smartest are getting the highest results. According to the points system atm the people I referenced would not get into the courses they did a decade or so ago... On top of that computer science degrees tend to have high dropout rates so performance in secondary school doesn't pertain to how they perform in college.

I know similar applies in other degrees. Somebody like @Bannasidhe can likely comment cause I know things like history in leaving cert versus college is substantially different to the point where you have to unlearn how it was taught.

Just because someone is very smart, doesn't mean they'll make the most money.

Isn't it great that our education system allows someone who doesn't do well academically to do very well anyways?

Thanks for mentioning the high drop out rates. This isn't mentioned at all in relation to the points discussion. Science in general has high drop out rates. I have taught people with 500 plus points who couldn't grasp a concept as well with someone with more passion for the course.

Totally agree that it doesn't mean they'll have the most. But it's pretty telling that you ignored the fact that now a degree has become popular, it would actually be inaccessible to people in the industry. So people with a clear aptitude can't get into degrees that suit them at this point in time. So instead you will get people who aren't suited many of whom won't even complete it.

Yep, it's really the part about the system that makes no sense. Eg my sister is a nurse but she wouldn't get the points now. Meanwhile a person who isn't necessarily suited to nursing ends up doing the degree.

This exactly. So many got into science because they were told it was good for their career rather than having an inclination for it. Getting 600 points, i.e. memorizing facts doesn't make you a good scientist i.e. someone with the ability to find out something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Points are gained from the wrong areas. H1 Spanish and french (only an example) and a few mediocre grades in other subjects and they get engineering (an example only). Students are then stumped for the maths module in college and cannot keep up as there was no requirements for a, say H2 in maths or physics. Perhaps if courses required high points in relevant areas it might help in drop outs.

Well I lived there and have family living there and anyone can go to college, it doesn't depend on your socio economic background.

If you want to go to college to study agriculture, why should you get extra points for having honours maths? The British system will expect you to have certain grades in certain subjects. Much better system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

The courses have been adjusted. They don't have two years of material to cover now

It's a ridiculous system. You should require good marks in whatever subjects are related to what you wish to study in 3rd level.

You were 'actively trying to combat that', i.e. applying your personal prejudice and bias to the admission process. Equally odious.

What sort of scientist are you, that you can't see the inherent value in blind evaluation that the LC & points system represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The real problem is that the exam is no longer fit for purpose. Students are treated like sponges, expected to soak up facts and regurgitate them in a three hour period.

I would have two sections in the exam, one a short test of the necessary basics which must be learnt. The second would be an open book exam requiring the student to answer in-depth questions requiring understanding and logic but not necessarily remembering facts. The students would need to be taught how to use facts and research rather than learn by rote. This method of teaching would mean the students are more involved in their education and not just sitting listening to facts.

My heart goes out to the numerous students forced to endure the archaic school system which is suited to about 20% of the population.

Continuous assessment and projects do not give a level playing field. Even the the best teachers can be swayed by the behaviour of their students and projects benefit pupils who have better support and resources from home.

Teachers will always find it hard to grade their pupils for numerous reasons and the exam becomes worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The big problem with changing the LC is along the lines of what another poster said.

As flawed as it may be it guarantees 2 things:

1. The work submitted is the student's own work.
    2. Students are anonymous to the marker and are therefore judged solely on their work and not on who they are.

"Students want change, parents want change," Well-connected students want change, parent who are neighbours of the principal want change

Maybe the Unions know exactly what change would bring. Teachers have witnessed over the years exactly how rules are bent when it comes to coursework. Even the predicted grades last year were grossly inflated as teachers in school A knew that their students were in competition with the students down the road in school B.

So, according to this thread, our schools are populated by:

(a) unnoticed genuises with sieve-like memories who are unfairly denied access to high-points courses, and

(b) idiot savants with eidetic memories but without the capacity for independent thought who drop out of any course they get into.

Twaddle.

Yep I was actively combating those that got in with high points but who didn't give a sh1t when it came to the actual degree. Why should we have to tolerate people that shouldn't have been there when we could have filled the place with better suited people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The correct, appropriate and proportionate response has been made in my opinion.

Students who have missed time through no fault of their own will be sitting modified exams with much more choice of question than usual. So if a topic was covered when they were absent they won't have to answer a question on it.

The "think of the time they've missed" argument doesn't hold up.

Ironically, the hybrid idea would only penalise these students further as their "predicted" grades will be lower than a comparable student with very good attendance.

It is twaddle and no one has said that outside your head.

• Advertisement

There is a correlation between LC points and the work put in. I would suggest the fee paying schools don't dominate. so what if Blackrock sends a cpl of hundred per year to Orts in UCD. in the higher point courses one does see a greater proportion of students from non fee-paying schools

Advertisement