Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public healthcare workers, who served onsite in a clinical Covid-19 exposed env. to receive 1k euro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GPs to be excluded from the bonus I believe . I am very surprised at that . Ours played a blinder with vaccines rollout and also looking after her patients .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Anything for the voluntary Civil Defence, Red Cross and Order of Malta lads and lassies? They were manning the vaccine and testing centres down my neck of the woods in all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just increase their pay, and give them more paid time off ffs!

Yes Leo mentioned the army and volunteers at testing centres who would be eligible

Gardai putting in their claim now on PKNewstalk.

'For all of them.'

Didn't take long.

I blame this squarely on FFG. LV saying everyone including Revenue & SW would qualify.

• Advertisement

How can they justify Revenue and then not pay GPs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JPAngel

I work in the IT department of a hospital. We worked onsite throughout the pandemic and many times had to fix systems on covid wards. We are never mentioned in these conversations which i completely understand. I dont expect a bonus, although of course it would be nice. I would prefer if they spend the money on hiring more staff as numerous services in the HSE are under resourced, such as child psychologists. The problem with this bonus is it will cause tensions in the workforce as i know plenty of staff who will be getting the bonus who were nowhere near Covid patients.

They're not now. But initially Varadkar said that all would qualify. He set the ball in motion.

He stated at the time how great SW and Revenue were in getting PUP and other emergency payments and measures out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Your GP was an exception down my way they disgraced themselves and should be ashamed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭downtheroad

GPs were very well remunerated for every vaccine they injected. They have received a bonus several times over already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

If the government may invest the "bonus" money in our dismal health care system everyone would have benefited..... But now they have created yet another cluster **** of who qualifies for the bonus.

So far this morning on the radio, Meat factory workers, Binmen, Family carers, Guards, Public Transport drivers, Shopworkers have all been mentioned as being 'deserving' of a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Most GP's I know pretty much refused to see patients in person except in extreme cases, they were quick however to allow people in for vaccines, they did extremely well from Covid 19 without improving their service as far as I can see.

The rank and file Gardai on the street played a blinder at the start to be fair, they deserve it, the administrative Gardai shouldn't be getting it.

Private companies can choose to pay staff more or give extra days off or give them a bonus so meat factory workers, shop workers, binmen, etc. should look for bonuses from their employers, most of whom cleaned up throughout the pandemic.

The government wastes a massive amount of money paying long term Jobseekers a Christmas bonus so don't see why people who work and in fact kept the country going shouldn't be entitled to a few pound and more importantly a proper thank you for risking their lives. Cut the Christmas bonus for Long term Jobseekers to help pay for it. Reward people for working, not for not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 splitz

I worked 'frontline' ( HSE) throughout the crisis, but resigned last August for health reasons. Does anyone know if I'm eligible for this and if so, how to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Leo said if people retired or resigned they would get the bonus on a pro rata basis

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, I think it's pretty easy to draw a line in terms of who should get a bonus. Essential workers like binmen or shop assistants weren't working directly with infected or potentially infected patients.

But there have been some obvious blind spots in it. It goes without saying that Gardai, Firemen (even volunteer ones), Paramedics should qualify here as the nature of their work means they couldn't avoid coming into contact with infected patients. Other workers are protected by virtue of the fact that anyone infected was quarantining and they had a right to refuse to enter risky situations. Realistically anyone who worked in a public hospital or healthcare facility should also be entitled. Whether they were employed directly by the state or not is irrelevant.

GPs probably more of a grey area, but they were paid specifically for vaccines and covid referrals, so that works. Maybe some form of lower tax rate on that income specifically could be arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do Gardai work in high risk clinical settings? How many Gardai do you know that have to wear surgical gowns and masks all day at work?

They should reference Roy Keane when it to comes to people in a non clinical role during COVID-19..

Drove a bus

Drove a truck

Drove a train

Stacked a shelf

Moeded a lawn

Answered a phone.

It's their job

Firemen, full and part-time plus paramedics are getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Should the lads on the dole get the bonus?....queueing up at intreo offices looking for handouts during the height of the pandemic....

Putting themselves at risk....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

We already know people who have been unemployed for 10 + years were able to claim the full pup payment along with people living over seas ..

Wait till next years Christmas bonus threads

• Registered Users Posts: 26,401 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The offices were closed. They doled from home 😁

I would be hoping we are encouraging the firemen to wear some form of PPE

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think it should be that specifically limited. Through the pandemic Gardai will have had to attend all kinds of different situations from suicides to car crashes to assaults, public order incidents, with no ability to engage in social distancing or other protective measures afforded to, e.g. shop staff. That put them at a much higher risk of being infected than other essential workers.

At the same time as Pat Kenny said on his programme, the run of the mill policing reduced due to no late night openings of pubs, clubs etc and people being confined to set local and regional limits etc.

Kenny put it to the GRA rep that only those specific Gardai working in situations as you describe should be paid, however the rep believes that they all should have a piece of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Gone a bit farcical at this stage all and sundry claiming there sector should get the money its only 1k not a life changing amount if it has to be given give it to the workers directly at the coal face . Maybe let the private companies give something tax free to their staff if they want .

I was just joking about firemen going into fires not dressed in protective gear

• It’s always a shame when people just don’t know when to stop talking..

• Advertisement

Advertisement