Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

By the way... Doak has played 20min more rugby than Casey this season...

Pendergast is not hugely surprising... He had barely showed in U20 Ireland team, there is probably very little known about him at international level and he is getting a lot of minutes in Connacht while still only 21... They probably want to see what he is like...

Doak and Crowley have been marked very early on... They know these guys well and might be happier to see them stay with their province... Lot of speculation there, now that I look at it...

Joey Carbery’s inclusion is beyond me sorry.

His continual fragility is a disappointment. It really can’t be doing him much good to have spent such a long time out since his move.

Throw on top of that his lack lustre return last time round really didn’t set many peoples tongues wagging with delight, sadly much the opposite.

What realistically has he done in the last 3-4 months to warrant his inclusion ahead of many others ? Is this still based on passed work ? Is it still based on one man’s opinion 5-6 years ago, I get that man’s credentials, but can we really say all this has been worth it, can we.

Carty for me gets the No 2 berth and then there’s a list of players deserving of their turn in camp and bench time against Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

If Farrell want to bring carbery and sexton then he must bring Carty for durability alone. The guy plays 80mins rugby week in, week out. Sexton hasnt played since the NZ game, remember he couldn't play in the Euro semi last year. Sexton and Carbery together would not last the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

If he declared for Wales he would have been a Lion. Marmion is probably the most screwed over player in Ireland over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carberry is baffling. No form to speak of and as fragile as ever. I suppose the other options aren't rated. I hope Carty can play well enough that losing Sexton wouldn't be dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No. Marmion is massively overrated by Connacht fans. He simply isn't that good. He is quite possibly the most overrated player in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

Marmion's passing really isn't all that. He's in the same boat as McGrath at Leinster.

I can't say I see him do much that JGP doesn't to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He possibly is by Connacht fans but isnt near the most overrated player in ireland. theres lot more in some of the "bigger" provinces who are much more overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

That title belongs to Murray! Marmion is performing at a higher level and it’s down to a couple of factors.

One of which is Andy Friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When Munster played Ulster (mostly 14 v 15) Casey was definitely the best 9 on the pitch that day.

This might have been a deciding factor

• Advertisement

Murray was a contender for world rugby player of the year at his peak. He's not an overrated player, he's still an excellent player but his style isn't fully suited to the gameplan du jour

This is true because Carty has famously unbreakable elbows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ireland

Avg age: 27.4

Wales

Avg Age: 26.9

Scotland

Avg Age: 26.5

England

Avg Age: 25.7

France

Avg Age: 25.3

Our squad is the oldest in the 6N (I didn't bother with Italy) at 27.4. That would be grand heading into a world cup, but it's not ideal 18 months out. France and England will be peaking at the right time.

So regardless of performance in this years 6 Nations, the squad will need refreshing over the summer tour and November series and certain players should be moved on after this tournament (I'm looking at Healy, Herring, Kilcoyne, Sexton, Earls and possibly Murray and O'Mahony). The 2018 GS should have been Best and Kearney's swan song, but the RWC was 18 months too far for them.

The biggest mistake we made pre 2019 was going all out to win in Australia and beat NZ, when we should have used that period to refresh and rebuild so we could go again in 2019. But we tried to ride that wave all the way through to the RWC when in reality that team had hit it's peak 18 months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Compared to who?

He plays behind a pack that struggles in games at times...

By the way when he played NZ...

This is what the New Zealand said about him when Conor Murray was rated the best SH in the world

"Replacement for injured Conor Murray but proved he isn't necessarily second best."

This is what they said about his opposite number that day:

"Aaron Smith - 5

Selectors will have to question whether Smith is now the All Blacks' best halfback."

He is playing at the moment up to that form from before...

He clearly outplayed Casey in the two meetings with Casey and Doak when Ulster played...

He is far faster to the ruck than Murray at this stage.

His passing has Carty taking on the line more than any out half in Ireland, if it was bad out halves wouldn't be taking in the line that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Murray of 2022 is not the same player. What set Murray apart from most are no longer his forte. Both JGP and Marmion are playing better.

his form, age/injury profile, and the fact that he is no longer first choice meant he didn’t justify a central contract.

that is an overrating

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What's the median age TRC, out of interest? (I wonder if it's possible that outliers like Sexton are weight-ing it upwards for Ireland).

Also, it's possible it's reading too much into squad ages. The average and median ages of the starting 15 and 23's will tell us a lot more, really. It could well end up being the same, but it'll be a more telling metric.

The biggest mistake we made pre 2019 was going all out to win in Australia and beat NZ, when we should have used that period to refresh and rebuild so we could go again in 2019. But we tried to ride that wave all the way through to the RWC when in reality that team had hit it's peak 18 months before.

Personally think this is a harsh reading (2018 was our most successful year ever, not our 'biggest mistake'), and that the timeline is a little off. Realistically we peaked in AI's 2018, so ~10 months prior to the RWC. And the bigger problem seemed to be that other teams had figured out our gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Probable line out vs Wales

Porter

Kelleher

Furlong

Beirne

Ryan

Doris

Van Der Flier

Conan

Gibson Park

Sexton

Conway

Henshaw

Ringrose

Balacoune

Keenan

Healy

Sheehan

Bealham

Henderson

O’Mahony

Murray

Carty

Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The 2018 GS should have been Best and Kearney's swan song, but the RWC was 18 months too far for them.

Kearney was one of the better performers at the RWC, and while Best was definitely past his prime, I don't think playing Herring, Cronin or Scannell would have made much difference. Apart from those two, it was a young enough squad and the problem was much bigger than their ages.

As for our rivals in this 6N, well England always name these training squads with loads of new faces, but it rarely translates to test selection. Wales would have a much older squad if AWJ, Owens, Tipuric and a few others weren't injured.

The age profile of the squad is absolutely fine, with the exception of out-half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Carthy is prone to some terrible brainfarts from time to time.

Thats something that doesnt wash at international level.

he deserves his inclusion in the squad, he is the only on form 10 in ireland but i dont fir a second think he is good enough to win a 6n

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wales are only 0.5 yrs younger with a whole bunch of experienced guys injured who would clearly bump that average age up. Also, averages are thrown out by outliers like Sexton and Healy so aren’t always instructive.

We had a better age profile in our 23 vs NZ than the Kiwis did that day, even with Sexton and Healy in there. We don’t have an issue with the age of our squad outside the small number of obvious cases. Broadly speaking we’re fine.

Players should only be moved on once there is a viable alternative who can deliver. The obsession with age is a complete nonsense. If they’re good enough then age (older or younger) is irrelevant.

That said we already know we have issues at LH and at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Carthy

It's Carty

i dont fir a second think he is good enough to win a 6n

I'd agree with this it would be quite hard for 1 player to win a 6 Nations on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Complete nonsense.

Conor Murray was an excellent 9, one of the best in the world but he hasn’t had a good game for Ireland in years. Marmion has comprehensively outplayed Casey twice this season.

No doubt he’s unfortunate not to be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

This is the team I'd be selecting to take on New Zealand in July all going well, so I'd be starting this team if possible in the 6 nations:

1 Porter, 2 Sheehan, 3 Furlong,

4 Beirne, 5 Henderson,

6 Doris, 8 Conan, 7 Timoney,

9 Gibson Park, 10 Carty,

11 Hansen, 12 Aki, 13 Hume, 14 Baloucoune,

15 Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a weaker side than the one which beat New Zealand last November. VDF, Ryan Kelleher and Ringrose all need to come back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nah, the only weaker player there possibly Carty, but seeing as Sexton hasn't played in months and no guarantee he'll be able to go on the tour to New Zealand and perform, then I'd be moving on from him for this 6 nations.

All those you listed aren't playing as well as the players I named, though Henderson has been injured still rate him higher than Ryan.

It's still unclear though who is available for the first match at this point which adds some doubt over any selection call.

Form this season and potential to kick on to the next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Maybe against Italy but even then I couldn’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

VDF and Kelleher have definitely been in better form than either of their counterparts. As for Ryan and Ringrose it's probably personal preference, but for me their performances for Ireland last November cemented their starting positions for the 6N. They were.both excellent. Maybe Ryan won't make it as he's still not fit. But if he starts this weekend I can see him starting against Wales.

Advertisement