Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

When are they leaving Berlin?

Frankfurt have lost a number of carriers or carriers has reduced service. LH are trying to route through Munich to avoid sending traffic through FRA.

FR will still serve Frankfurt but the base is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Source?

They are adding Nuremberg from Dublin this March so definitely just a Frankfurt thing.

[quote]

FR will still serve Frankfurt but the base is going. [/quote]

No it looks like all routes cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

51st & Green being closed is not great considering the amount of J seats going over to the US these days. There's over 10 departures daily. Not the end of the world but I would be a bit ticked off I paid for a J ticket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Champagne problems…. If you’re flying right now and your flight isn’t cancelled or journey disrupted you’d be lucky, probably won’t settle much for a few weeks either, while this wave passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Isn't there a major food and beverage offering upgrade going on in T2 so its probably bring remodelled to accommodate some new hospitality options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Had the pleasure of using 51st and Green the week before Christmas. First world problems and all but it's wasn't much to get excited by. Breakfast option was 100% vegan - which offended me greatly.

As lounges go its not great but certainly better than the alternative F&B offerings in the post CPB basement. The views alone make it worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

Post CBP offering is brutal always wondered about that, probably the highest spending group of passengers cordoned off with nothing to spend their money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've always thought that the whole US CBP area is badly implemented in DUB.

Having to clear security twice in the space of 10 minutes makes no sense at all.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

+1

I've long thought it a shame they didn't give CBP its own separate annex with its own entrance, so you can go straight in and ignore the main airport. And presumably only clear security once. Ideally it would actually have amenities post-security that way too...

Not sure how structurally practical it would be though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Having dedicated domestic/CTA arrivals would be much more beneficial.

Not high enough passenger numbers for domestic on its own, and the Irish government views the CTA as a lot less 'domestic' than the UK government does - they'd still want passport checks even on a CTA only terminal, which would negate all benefit really. Unfortunately.

Silly Q. But why is there security in the CBP area in DUB. Theres none in the CBP in SNN. SNN is smaller etc though

There used to be in SNN.

However SNN have aligned their main security to meet US regulations so that box has been ticked by the time you get to CBP.

I don’t know if this can or cannot be done in Dublin or why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I'd love to know what the difference is tbh. Apart from TSA being more rude, it seems similar. Is it my mind that everyone takes off their footwear regardless?

It's a bit of a patience test. Check the bags, queue for T2 security, down to TSA security, be grilled by the US CBP. Definitely a need for 51st green after all that and seeing what is available in the post CBP area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

YUL had a higher - but not vastly - number of CBP passengers than DUB when I last used it - and their post-CBP area is a full terminal of facilities basically. Bars, normal restaurants, Burger King, full duty free etc etc.

But their flights are across the entire day; not clumped in one (one one and a bit now really) blocks.

Yeah there are certain differences I think the shoes off does sound familiar.

It all does sound a bit cumbersome, however having done long flights into the US (non pre-clearance)to be met by huge CBP ques which can take hours … when you’re already wrecked … the Dublin pre-clearance is definitely worth it and a huge advantage. You land and you’re done. Pick up bag, out the door. I’d rather que pre-flight than post flight any day.

Shoes off is the only difference.

Whether Dublin pre-clearance is worth it really depends on how and where you're accessing the US.

If you're a US passport holder or LPR who has Global Entry, you're almost certainly better off without pre-clearance. For everyone else, it really depends on the flight time and where you're landing, for example the MSP/BDL flights, the wait would probably be shorter if you cleared immigration in the US.

I would think the DAA have missed a trick here by not investing in the space during the down time, having the lounge closed is really poor and if travel ticks up in the summer to something approaching 2019 we'll be revisiting the farcical situation of advising pax get to DUB 3+ hrs before departure and immediately proceeding to the cramped US CPB space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,035 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I seriously doubt that the lounge is closed for any other reason but the exact same issue that every employer in the land is currently facing - staff having to self-isolate due to having Covid or being a close contact of someone that has Covid.

• Advertisement

Reported elsewhere that’s it’s already open again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

What do you mean by the MSP/BDL flights. What is different about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

MSP/BDL get very few international flights so you are spared the nightmare queues

Pre clearance is a massive value, sure if you are flying point to point the arrivals experience can vary from 10 minutes to several hours. For connections in the US its amazing, no stress, no need to recheck bags, no need to reclear security at most airport

If the worst happens and I get refused entry I can simply walk away and sleep in my own bed that night, If I got refused in the US it won't be a fun time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I've spent well over 3 hours in the immigration queue at both LAX and MIA when transiting via LHR in recent years. For those two airports in particular it is a godsend. It also allows aircraft arriving from DUB and SNN to use domestic terminals/gates in the US which are cheaper and quicker. In the likes of JFK you might arrive just behind a Chinese A380 for example and have an awful wait and experience if going through immigration there.

CBP in Dublin isn't much fun, and can have lengthy queues, but its absolutely miles better than what you experience on arrival in the big US airports. In terms of time queing, convenience of connections, and even just in the attitudes of the border control officers. They're much much friendlier (or I guess less unfriendly, more accurately) in DUB, presumably because they're dealing with far fewer dodgy characters that are immigration/terror risks.

To reiterate; my point being it's not necessarily a massive value for a US Citizen or LPR that have Global Entry (accepted DUB has the GE terminals, but the time sink in my experience is the secondary document checks plus additional security). You'll skip through immigration on arrival very quickly with GE.

The connecting flight point is good I'll concede, it'd have decent value there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I used 51st & Green at the end of November. I specially asked DAA travel services was the hot breakfast available and they confirmed it was. Arrived into lounge with pregnant wife and child and nothing!!! I was not happy at all. It was all continental breakfast. But even at that, the quality has dropped. The McCambridges brown bread has been replaced with something that tastes like styrofoam, the Tayto is gone and little things like that. The lounge also felt dirty, it has no aged well at all despite it not being that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Used it in Dec and the food options were terrible for breakfast…..if you paid to use it you would be very disappointed……not even fruit available, no hot food either…..great views and nicely laid out but definitely not worth the fee…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Long Q at the bar last month. Ordered breakfast and saw a dip in bar Q so nipped in and bought a pint of cider. Orchard Thieves in an Orchard Thieves glass. Had never heard of the brand before. Deadly with the fry. So I bought a dozen boxes before Jan 4th. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

I won't be using the 51st lounge again after my last trip in December. The poor quality non-meat breakfast and limit of 2 drinks make it very bad value. Also there are no newspapers any more? It used to make sense as it was easier to get a seat and charging port pre-covid to do some work before a flight compared to the rest of T2 but now its just now worth the bother when the food options are better elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RTE news : Ryanair launches biggest ever Dublin flight schedule

Wow! This sounds significant! I wonder are any brand new previously unserviced destinations included in this expansion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Looks like a few new destinations - I don't remember seeing Palanga, Sibiu, and Suceava before at least.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I recommend Nürnberg to everyone. Lovely city.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is well worth visiting as a day trip. Bamberg also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Masala

would be interested in going there... but Ryanair only doing Sat & Sun departures. So no chance of a 2-3 night stay on that frequency then.

fly back from another airport. Ryanair don't penalize one-way flights. Get the ICE train down to Munich for example or up to Berlin.

That's good advice but Berlin is not a viable option. Nuremberg to Berlin Airport is 3:45 Vs 2 hours to Munich Airport. Frankfurt Airport is a much better alternative at 2:20.

I meant visit two cities you actually want to see. Frankfurt ain't much shakes. Heidelberg near Frankfurt might do for sight-seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Not sure where you are seeing this? I’m seeing it as 4x weekly. (Mon,Wed,Fri,Sun)

I see Hahn is returning too replacing Frankfurt.

Nimes and Alghero are two new routes I didn’t notice before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭crushproof

Sibiu is a beautiful city. Could do a Transylivanian week, Sibiu to Sighișoara to Brasov and fly back from Bucharest, or vice versa. Some of the most well preserved and beautiful medieval towns in Europe. Can't recommend it highly enough, and incredibly cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

In relation to AerLingus joining the JV with AA/BA etc, will we possibly see aerlingus codeshares in the future with Finnair too? I know they are codesharing with Iberia on the DUB-MAD route but still no sign of codeshares on the american routes. As an example, all Iberia flights to the USA are codesared with finnair ba iberia. Will this happen in AerLingus too?

Have DAA said anything about ramping screening operations back to where they need to be , to handle this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

They are looking for staff, but with the money on offer as well as only a 20 hour contract can’t see there being a stampede to work for them. And you can be guaranteed you’ll get your hours at the weekends

Weekends would probably be getting lucky. The 5am-7am rush hour is probably more likely.

ut with the money on offer as well as only a 20 hour contract can’t see there being a stampede to work for them. And you can be guaranteed you’ll get your hours at the weekends

And DAA get at least a fiver a head for passenger screening in charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nuremberg not so much IMO, it got flattened during the war and very poorly rebuilt. Its a shadow of its former self and could be a historical paradise.

Get thee to Bamberg (not badly damaged) or Rothenburg (50% damaged but very well rebuilt). Much better spots.

If you are in Nuremberg go to the Pellerhaus. The outside is a 1950s shambles but they've rebuilt the interior courtyard which is lovely and its not on the tourist trail now, despite being a European destination many years ago.

Get a train to Regensburg too, the biggest German city that was pretty much untouched in the war.

Wüzburg is nice too.

You're more or less better off on the dole for 20hrs in or around minimum.

I am thinking about a weekend break away soon. Is there any website that will tell me what flights are scheduled to depart Dublin say 1300-1600 in Friday 2 weeks time . There used to be a DAA timetable app but it seems to be gone now

• Advertisement
Advertisement