Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Their income is dependent on deliverables and intermittent one time payments whereas they have high and recurring expenses in parallel. What happens if, with a diluted "brand", the books flop? What happens if Netflix, sensing that they won't get ROI on the $120 headline deal, rejects their current projects and cancels future ones? Very real possibilities. Look at the Spotify deal. One podcast. Would you be pleased with that as a paymaster? What does that do for their reputation as deliverers of viable content? So to clarify, they have no sustainable income. Going back to Spotify then Harry could have done a series on settling into life in America. He'd be the Brit out of water type inviting guests onto the show to help him (and listeners) appreciate all things Americana, to promote causes. Even something like Joe Rogan's show where he is the foil to the expert guests talking about various American subjects. Something to justify the fee but there is nothing as this understandably involves work. Even a Michael Portillo type travel documentary with Harry travelling the country by train for Netflix. It could have failed but it could have been a success and his reputation for sustainable income would be on a firmer footing.

You're forgetting the six months between the Oprah interview and the Time cover magazine and the need for some good old positive PR i.e. the reputational fall out what with all the logical fallacies in their truth. Even the owner of Time was ridiculing their cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well you just moved the goal posts out to the car park.

You have gone from stating they have no current income to what their earning potential could look like in the future.

The reality is their earning power at this moment in time is quite high on the back of their celebrity, even when you include your fictional expenses.

What the future holds, I have no idea, but the false claims you made had nothing to do with what might be.

And you accept now that they didn't get this $120 million upfront from Netflix because that's what you were inferring?

I wouldn't deem their Netflix deal as a sustainable one. Yes, they get the one time sign on fee (which gets swallowed up in expenses) but then there must be deliverables to satisfy the nitty gritty of the actual contract. What are the planned projects? An animated series and seemingly a documentary about themselves and their foundation. That's worth $120 million? Where's the earning power? I'd say the whole deal with the Sandringham summit was for them to show how they could achieve and sustain their financial independence.

The Sussexes, as flavors of the month, had a bevy of deals thrown at them, the signing on fees were banked but the reality then set's in and they have to do the work to produce the content and they don't get paid the full value of the headline deals if that work is rejected. That's my rationale for no income i.e. there is no predictable stream of income coming in. Contrast it all with something like the Duchy of Cornwall which delivers a predictable income stream and from which expenses can be budgeted for annually. It's an asset for the Prince of Wales and will go the the next Prince of Wales in time i.e. William and then George. The old saying of "The only thing worse than what you don't have is seeing someone else get it instead" applies to Harry's mindset in my opinion i.e. he won't inherit what William will and in advance of living off is brothers asset then he (understandably) wanted to make his own money. Problem was that after having money initially thrown at him as you mention then he had to do the work to sustain it all himself.

Post edited by valoren on

I inferred no such thing.

In response to this false claim, I responded with a reporting which is widely available in the public domain, the figure varies from 100 to 150, so I went conservative.

starting off a life of financial independence with millions in inheritance to hand then when there is no income coming in to maintain a millionaire lifestyle then that cash can get dissipated frighteningly quickly in California

Apart from the reported 120 million dollar 5 year streaming deal

Add to that the Spotify Deal, Book Deal, some other job you informed me of, and millions they got from chatting to Oprah, I think it's probably safe to say your claim was utterly false?

Would we agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes it's all the little woman's fault, getting uppity and brainwashing poor little harry who doesn't know his own mind and who she forcibly took away from the life he was supposed to lead whether he wanted to lead that life or not.

never mind that he made and makes his own decisions and decided he wanted out, but of course they must know their place, meghan especially isn't that right?

if him speaking out makes things difficult for those remaining that is life, perhapse everyone should have treated him and his wife better.

he's gone, he's not coming back, get over it.

Post edited by end of the road on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

And to re-iterate my point - when you have a financial situation predicated on one time payments, with future income dependent on contractually dependent deliverables and a discernible list of high expenses eating up those initial one time payments then going bankrupt is a real possibility. But that’s all ok because they’ll always have people throwing money at them and their “earning power”.

Yet how did they land all those deals in the first place? What truly gave them their initial earning power? Not their credentials and reputations for delivering content. It was their status as royalty. So then they go and very publicly disparage that very thing which gives them their initial earning power and there are reputational consequences deriving from that in terms of possibly securing future gigs i.e. if Royalty is toxic and a thing of the past then why should we hire Royals? Make it make sense.

Post edited by valoren on

Their earning power comes from their celebrity, it's not a new phenomenon especially in the states. That earning power right now based on public domain reporting is quite high.

Netflix sure as fook did not pay for their sterling track record on producing blockbuster entertainment, relative to just what Netflix spend on marketing (not content), it's a fraction of a decimal percentage, the marketing will pay for itself.

Everyone accepts they are earning huge sums at the moment and have the potential to cash in further on their celebrity going forward.

But for some reason, you think they are going broke and are trying to manipulate Charles into paying them off.

One is the reality and one is a manufactured figment of your imagination.

I guess that's the rock and a hard place Harry found himself in. Celebrity endorsements can be extremely lucrative and the US market would pay money hand over fist for actual Royalty to promote their products. I'm sure that was the plan for them wanting to leave and be financially independent e.g. Meghan promoting stuff like Hermes, Louis Vuitton and Harry as a Rolex and Mercedes ambassador etc. Easy money from promoting luxury brands. I can get why they would be prohibited from using their HRH style for such engagements but surely they could still have used their Duke and Duchess titles. Where are all these promo adverts then?

Perhaps no product promotion was part of the Sandringham summit for whatever reasons and it would be understandable for Harry to be peeved at such inhibition. In addition, the pandemic clipped their wings as well in terms of making such deals.

His memoir will come out in the autumn so that's nine months’ time. Pearl was announced in summer 2021 and will come out perhaps early next year. Production costs are used and thus not income. Nothing on Spotify who must be miffed at them. So until the book lands what discernible income will be coming in while in parallel they are paying security costs and maintaining and paying off a mansion which will have eaten into whatever money they got from delivering the manuscript? Personally I’d be stressed out under such a financial arrangement i.e. all that output better be a hit or failure could mean bankruptcy.

Better get onto Rolex USA Harry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I was gonna say he's not successful or prestigious enough for rolex but then I saw that Michael Buble is one of the current ones so I guess it's possible

Harry wears an Explorer Rolex so I can't understand why Rolex haven't already latched onto this celebrity power he supposedly possesses and just throw the cash at him.

• Advertisement

this is just what you want to be rather then what actually is .

spotify and any of the others who have paid the couple for material are i would very much expect happy with what they are getting from the deals they have put up money for to receive content in return.

the couple's marketability seems to be high and even if they produce little content it will likely pay for itself.

these companies are not stupid, they will not put up money for nothing, they will get their content.

the couple are fine, they are not going broke.

You seem to be one of Haz and Megs few confidantes. In the two years since they signed in blood with Spotify and Netflix, what have they contributed in return? The longer this takes, the lower their stars shine. Lying oops, I mean, forgetting to remember in a court of law is one thing. Taking money for nothing doesn’t go down well with the Yanks. Threatening to take granny to court for not offering same protection as his father and brother beggars belief.

You ok dear? Whatever Harry is paying you, it’s not half enough

they contribute whatever content is required of them by the companies who have signed deals with them, as if they didn't then those companies would have dropped them, yet they haven't.

harry is taking the home office to court over being unable to pay for the security himself so as to not burdin the tax payer, a very noble thing, he is not taking his grandmother specifically to court.

meghan didn't lie in her court case either by the way, in fact everything bar the fact the mail on sunday breached her privacy was irrelevant.

Noble?

he wants to force the police to provide him with private security, that he will pay for, to save the taxpayers? How much will the case cost the taxpayers?

If he can pay police, he can pay for private security. Entitled little ******

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Interesting...

he is happy to pay for private security.

however when he comes to the UK he has to have police protection whether he wants it or not due to his status of being a high ranking rf member.

he is a heroe who has broken away from the clutches of the sun and daily mail and daily brexpress and their knuckle draggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

guys, what happened to the old rule: don't feed the troll. just ignore them, not worth the time to write back, it's just to provoke more and more reaction.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

@valoren Also to factor in to the financial planning is that Philip would have likely left Harry something in his will - we'll never know as it's sealed but we can guess. The Queen Mother's will was an estimated value of £50-£70 million, mostly left to the Queen, as Margaret had died shortly before. The QM left £14m in trust for Harry and William, with Harry getting a larger proportion in light of the fact that William would have the Duchy income as Prince of Wales.

So you can only imagine what the Queen herself is worth, and given her age probably what they think they can expect to get a slice of soon. Estimates vary between £275 million and £325 million. Now we know why they chose the name Lilibet 😉

Then the inheritance from their mother was valued at £20m by the time they were old enough to cash it in. So £10m each there which Harry got in 2014,two years before he met Meghan. As a working royal with all his expenses paid for from Charles's estate, he wouldn't have had to touch much of his £17m+ savings. Meghan brought her own £5 million, so they weren't destitute and have plenty to keep the wolf from the door until their projects generated some sort of income for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I read somewhere that Harry got only 3 million from QM.

Their future earnings depend on their relevance, while they don't seem to be very popular. How many times they took part in any big event last year (even with a break for a child birth), 4 times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

nobody can exactly say how much they got, still have, receiving form their deals or will inherit in the future. I think there can't be enough coming in to keep up with their lifestyle, maintaining their 'mansion', household staff and jetting around staying in costly hotels, expensive clothing and what else they 'need' we can't imagine. they mainly lived on their millions they already had (savings so to say) for the last 2 years fmpov and that's logically not sustainable so the pressure is on I would say.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I suppose that any plans they did have for events and building up visibility on red carpets and probably many of the projects that were on the table got scuppered by the pandemic as they left the family officially in January 2020. At that point covid was just another weird flu type outbreak in a place barely anyone had ever heard of. The timing couldn't have been worse for them really.

They could have probably steamed ahead with their podcasts though.

Yet there were few events, where they were not invited in 2021, like Obama's 60th Bday or MET Gala. They are now telling they won't attend Oscars, because of the film about Diana. It is hard to believe the reason if they signed a deal with Netflix, not bothering about such connotations, or made an interview with Oprah for CBS, who was the only station, which showed pics of Diana dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

They're getting an excuse out as they know they won't get an invite!

I think they might have got an invite but only under the condition to promote this film.

I mean as guests of this film producers, not as them on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The Mail, owned by tax-exile Lord Rothermere, kicking off about "tax havens" is hypocritical even for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And the owner of the Daily Mail - Viscount Rothermere - is a keen tax payer:

"A new investigation by the Observer shows that the Daily Mail is set up as an offshore entity based in Bermuda, to avoid paying tax in the UK.

Not very British, or patriotic.

Particularly laughable is that the Mail has described offshoring recently as a 'scourge' which 'deprives Britain of billions'."

You heard the one about glass houses and throwing rocks?

"A who's who of Britain's legal offshore tax avoidance

This article is more than 7 years old

Some of the UK's most prominent business people appear in Jersey's offshore history of legal avoidance

Rothermere family, Daily Mail

A Lady Rothermere trust is recorded in Jersey. It appears to refer to the late Lord Rothermere's second wife, Maiko Lee, of Korean nationality. She did not respond to our invitations to comment. Rothermere's son Jonathan by his first wife inherited the Daily Mail, also through a Jersey trust, and a Bermuda-registered offshore entity. Jonathan is estimated to be worth £760m. He has not denied claiming tax concessions as a "non-dom", on the grounds that his father lived in Paris. He resides at Ferne Park, a stately home in Wiltshire built for him by architect Quinlan Terry."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/10/whos-who-britain-legal-offshore-tax-avoidance-james-dyson

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get off it. You of all people should know that private security do not have any official leverage, which in the case of a police force, allows for significantly heightened security effectiveness. He's entitled to what he is seeking. He may have left the firm but he can never leave the risk associated with being born into it, which will be ever present for his whole life

absolutely, however as we know, hypocracy knows no bounds with the mail and nothing is off limits.

hypocracy and gass lighting are it's very core/being/existance.

• Advertisement

Nope. He is entitled to it while attending state or official functions. He is living an ordinary life, stepped down from the royal family, by his own choice, he is responsible for his own security.

Advertisement