Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I often take Homefarm Road when cycling with a mate, and when we get to Mobhi Road he cycles down this path and I'm on the road. I'll point out the direction to him.

I rarely head the Ballymun direction myself, but if I was coming from the city centre I wouldn't go via botanic gardens and then met office. I'll have a look at the maps/distance now though. I had to head to from city centre to Decathlon last year and still just went straight up Mobhi Road. I was under time pressure though.

I cycle a good bit with a kid these days as well, and find I change my route based on what I think is safer with her on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Comparing 'professional' drivers with 'professional' carpenters is a poor analogy. A carpenter is judged on his work. If he's shoddy, he's unlikely to get further work. A truck driver is not judged on how he makes the journey to his delivery point. He's judged on making good time, not missing the ferry, not missing his delivery slot at the warehouse, not missing out on the back load etc. Unfortunately, there is a temptation to cut corners. This is especially true of tipper truck drivers who are generally paid per ton dropped so there is always a temptation to hammer along and squeeze in an extra load every day. I'm not excusing the above but merely pointing out that calling someone 'professional' has nothing to do with driving skills.

Someone else said that artic drivers should be held to higher standards than taxi drivers. It could be argued that taxi drivers carry much more precious cargos than artic drivers.

I wouldn't agree with you on the carpenter analogy. A carpenter is just as likely to rush his work, to get more done, but at a lower standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Someone else said that artic drivers should be held to higher standards than taxi drivers. It could be argued that taxi drivers carry much more precious cargos than artic drivers.

true, but it's not just the occupants we have to worry about.

Yes, but if the standard isn't acceptable, he'll have to redo it so it's in his interest to maintain a certain level. On the other hand, a truck driver who gets the delivery in on time may be rewarded regardless of how it got there.

• Advertisement

I know. I was just highlighting the fact that many people look on taxi drivers as people who drive around in empty vehicles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a close pass video (well, the aftermath of the initial close pass) with two twists - the verbal exchange is as gaeilge, and the cyclist was threatened with a caution for use of foul language when the gardai were shown the video:

i think that might be the road into carna in connemara? coming from the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

OMG that's priceless 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So apparently the guy was waiting for him after he cursed him for overtaking on a blind bend, this was in fact the second time he pulled in to threaten him. And the gardai are threatenign the cyclist with being at fault for using bad language. **** me, what's the point anymore, may as well just have a weapon in the pannier and sort it out at he scene because clearly the gardai don't give a f*ck anymore

I got the impression the guy had to follow up a few times and this was the Gardaí response to him looking for them to do their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The driving is awful but the Gaeilge is delicious. And wonderful to hear in the wild.

"Cuirfidh mé suas an ceamera sin id focain tóin"

"Overtake-áil leoraí níos fairsinge"

"Leveleáilfidh mé thú a chuint"

Proof the Irish language is alive and well, at least as long as they stop almost mowing each other down!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't suppose anyone would like to provide bilingual subtitles for those of not skilled in the oul Gaeilge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Does he post a video of the original incident at all? Would be interesting to see it so as to get the full background to the story

People in Galway speak awfully fast, so I could be wrong. I struggle a bit but I am pretty sure many of those words were taught to me at a school going age but not in class,

F*cker

I'll talk to you

I'll put that camera up your ars*

I overtook you with loads of space

I'll level you you c**t

I think that's it, my son told me I had to stop listening as he suspected they were not speaking Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Before the wands were installed on this stretch of road, cars used to block the cycle path, while waiting to turn left to go to Dundrum Shopping Centre. Since the wands were installed, the road has become a death trap. I'm continuing on straight towards the lights in each clip.....

The last clip is from this morning.

https://streamable.com/25eyrs

https://streamable.com/3vuuo4

might be worth pinging the council about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm not sure what's happening. Are you not turning left in each clip?

I'm being forced to go left to avoid the cars that are cutting across me as my intended route is to go on straight.

there are several junctions like that where i like to take the middle of the lane when going straight on, to avoid left hooks - the bollards make it harder to take the middle of the lane.

• Advertisement

Yeah, until they change the design guidelines for junctions to be like Dutch junctions this will continue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bound to happen on the new Griffith avenue part too unless the light sequence is spot on. Cars won't be expecting bikes to go straight on either so for a while, and I wonder how long before a car just tries ploughing on straight too.

inbound on the rock road as you approach the bottom of mount merrion avenue was one of the more problematic junction when i was commuting. the motorists had helped slightly in that they kept hitting the bollards and breaking them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’ve seen a few of you worried about Griffith Avenue now. Which section exactly is worrying you?

they're completely redesigning the junction where griffith avenue becomes griffith avenue extension, at the bottom of ballymun road. it looks like a bad compromise all round from what i've seen. i guess i'm not the target audience there though, AFAIK one of the main drivers is to make the route safer for kids cycling to and from school, there are several schools on or near griffith avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That’s what I thought. I pass through there every day and it looks decent to me. Cyclist stop lines well ahead of general traffic. Cyclist specific lights. Nice wide cycle tracks. They’re banning left turns for general traffic, as far as I know (the bedding in period for that one might be an issue though).

The 90 degree bend for cyclists going right from Griffith Avenue onto Ballymun/Mobhi Road looks a bit awkward but I think the idea is to do it in two movements, which is slow for confident cyclists, but safer for less confident people.

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just clearly missing something and am curious what you’re spotting that I’m not.

When you say banning left turns, do you mean from Griffith onto Mobhi Road?

Doesn't that leave you having to do a loop around the triangle there, or else a left onto one of the island roads from Griffith Ave, right onto Homefarm, and left onto Mobhi. Rat running essentially.

they seem to have achieved it by making the junction overcomplicated from what i could see; cyclists won't be able to cycle in a straight line through the junctions, but will be forced to shimmy twice, once each side of the junction, by raised chicanes. i might have misread the junction though, but i'd say cycling through it if you're not familiar with it, on a dark rainy night (especially when it's such a unique design) could be confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Oh right! Thought in the last clip (night time one) you were turning left anyways given that the car had past you and you still turned.

Regardless, if you weren't signalling left you shouldn't have been cut off.

• Advertisement

Oddly enough, the cars won't have seen this but from my reading of the paint on the road, Suvarnabhumi should technically signal right to go straight there. A technicality as the cars won't see that point, in much the same way they didn't see the cyclist but it might help the motorist notice them until the council fix it.

Advertisement