Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting to know people in the USA

Options
  • 15-01-2013 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi Everyone!
    I arrived in New York last week on the 12 month graduate visa. I'm living in Queens right now. I'm here on my own so I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get to know people here in the City? I've gotten to know a few people living close by but I would love to make contact with other Irish people on the graduate visa. I'm just not sure how to go about it!

Thanks in advance!
    Post edited by Fathom on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Broaden your horizons. Try to get to know some Americans too. Trust me, they don't bite. Hit up your local sports bar, and watch a football game. The playoffs are on right now, so you'll get lots of people really, really into that. When the football season is all over, the baseball basketball seasons are still going on & will be more than enough to talk about. Americans are very, very friendly people. They will just love explaining the intricacies and complexities of their sports to a foreigner. Great way to meet people and make friends.

When I lived in the US, I found it beneficial to have a larger ratio of Americans friends than Irish ones. Irish people are great crack, but when they are together in large numbers, the herd mentality kicks in, and the woe is me/I am so far from home/I miss my Mammy whinging starts. I found that not conducive to my mental well being, as after a while, I began whinging too. Not a good way to get over homesickness either !

If you are religious at all (or even if you are not really) consider joining your local church. Americans use their church as a way to socialize in ways that Irish people here really don't. If you are Catholic and in Queens, you'll bump into a lot of Irish people soon enough.

Yard sales. Keep an eye out for when they are on in your neighbourhood & go to them even if you have no intention of buying stuff. Another great way to get to know people, especially your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!
    I arrived in New York last week on the 12 month graduate visa. I'm living in Queens right now. I'm here on my own so I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get to know people here in the City? I've gotten to know a few people living close by but I would love to make contact with other Irish people on the graduate visa. I'm just not sure how to go about it!

Thanks in advance!

Where abouts in Queens are you living? I live in woodside and there is a pretty big Irish community here.

Come summer time get involved in the GAA scene or some element of it.

Couple of meetup.com groups are Irish related and there is also http://irishnetwork-nyc.com/ which hosts Irish related events

Depending on where you work there is often a large amount of expats around the place as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Use www.meetup.com to check out local interest groups. It's a great resource and groups are always friendly towards new members. You can find a group for playing soccer on weekends, going to watch movies or whatever you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

If it's the irish you're after, getting involved in a GAA club is normally the way to go......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks in advance!

I would also strongly encourage you to look into using Groupon. Frequently, there are coupons for cooking classes, social events, group outings, and those may be great ways to meet people.

Classes like:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/all-star-bartenders-training-5?pt=aUPltuTAAAAAopyOmnqkfZjvlFbDuAhPW

http://www.groupon.com/deals/paint-nite-nyc?pt=aUPltuTAAAAD3wv9q_9KzFvXuURXDSpgG

http://www.groupon.com/deals/judah-s-harris-photo-workshops?pt=aUPltuTAAAAD5kM4F7njvzD70i1KAeLCA

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ny-acting-school-film-tv-new-york?pt=aUPltuTAAAACEc-J0523FBrGxvdPgYgJp

https://www.groupon.com/now/deals/80-for-120-at-the-engine-room-1dbhp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Try coffee houses. Not chains like Starbucks. Places with atmosphere. Near universities is a good place to start. Students are easy to engage in conversation. Especially with someone from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You probably didn't notice the date but if they haven't made friends in the last 9 years ...🙈🙈

But then maybe it's a zombie apocalypse 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Thanks for your humor. When on mobile I have occasionally screwed up. Happy Thursday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement