Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Seems there will be 1 upmarket screen that can be rented privately and also 1 small screen.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Nope, the beachfront apartments between Jim Doyles & the Strand bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How would that be a problem?

I assume it will have its own entrance separate to residents?

Also don’t see any issue with there being an off- licence just like there’s no problems with other off-licenses in the town.

If I lived there I’d view it as a plus have a shop so close as I’m sure other people in the area will too as there’s no other shop along the seafront. Good for visitors too.

Post edited by murpho999 on

Curious where you heard this as the plan was always 5 and also still shows 5 screens on their website.

https://braycentral.ie/leisure/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I took it as meaning 5 screens of which 1 will be upmarket and one will be a small screen.

• Advertisement

I don't understand where this would come from.

What's a small screen in terms of a cinema? What about the other 3 screen? What are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My limited knowledge on this. 5No. screens, (1 fancy Stella type, 3 standard screens, 1 small screen) Regarding your query on what is a small screen, IMC Dun Laoighre have a small screen which seats about 30/40 people max.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don’t think there is a standard 5 screen cinema design that the all follow. This new cinema may be different to IMC Dun Laoighre.

Ok thanks for the explanation but where is this information coming from as their website just says 5 screens over 2 floors on their website.

Comments on social media would be the main one in and around the time that the work began on the new town centre.

• Advertisement

OK, nothing of reliable source really. Remember last year places like Bray Open Forum had people on stating the company had gone bankrupt, will never open etc. All based on nothing.

I'll wait till something official is announced by developers and/or council.

It is odd though how no retailers have been announced as they don't just sign up and open up with a couple of weeks. Need to do fit outs, recruitment, stock, planning, budgets etc. Takes a lot.

It is at this point. With PC earmarked for the end of month start of February, you would expect if a tenant was going in that the designs for their fit outs would be ready to go to the contractors to hit the ground running, so the tenants would/should have been known at this point of the project.

Yes I do wonder. as yesterday Penneys announced they're moving from current site in Dundrum to larger floor that was occupied by House of Fraser and that the move is costing them €15m. (How it costs that much is beyond me).

So a new shop in Bray may have similar costs and can't just be rolled out at the drop of a hat.

As an owner it would be a deal breaker for me to be honest but each to their own.

The apartment pedestrian entrance is 2 meters away from the Spar one. The potential of vans, cars, queues and large crowds on my doorstep would be a massive turn off. They were sold as luxury apartments, for the kind of money being spent I'd have hoped for a private, enclosed, and landscaped entrance point (there's barely a blade of grass around the place). One buyer has applied to turn four apartments in to a single luxury unit, for the guts of 1.8 million spent I wonder are they happy with this situation too.

As a visitor having a Spar nearby, I'd be delighted.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So when cinemas sign contracts for certain movies they have to guarantee certain showing times. Having a small screen means this is cheaper and more feasible. Not saying where I heard all this but the source is very close to Oakmount/Council so is well informed.

Terry Pratchet

Why would there be vans, cars and queues there? I've never seen a queue outside a Spar ever?

I assume the shop will not have parking so I don't see how it will impact residents.

In my opinion what you are saying sounds like Nimbyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Retail units were included in the original planning application so there would have been so surprises here.

Don't understand how a Spar would lead to vans, cars, queues and large crowds on the doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Perhaps when there's a festival/airshow on but anyways, complaining about a shop under a block of apartments is such a uniquely Irish thing to do. You'd be laughed out of the place anywhere in Europe.

There is a car park at the front for the retail units. So yes there will be vehicles in and out of it like most car parks tend to have.

The shop will benefit me so no objections there on my part. All I was saying that I personally wouldn't purchase an apartment there, especially not at the current selling prices. On Daft right now is an 80sqm apt without sea views for 500k.

The seafront can be manic even on some winter days, it's naive to think that this won't be extremely busy. Once again, each to their own!

• Advertisement

I've never seen an extremely busy Spar anywhere and I'm sure it will work out fine, I wouldn't say the parking situation is as you make out and I think it will do business mostly from passing footfall.

The issues you raise about prices are an entirely separate matter and nothing to do with the shop.

I dont see the big deal really with a spar shop there. Id actually probably be happy having a shop close to me if I lived there.

Terry Pratchet

New cafe / restaurant opening on Albert Walk called Nine. Work being carried out by Shape Fit Out who have done excellent fit outs on Butler & Barry, the Anchor and more in Bray so I expect it to be good. Great to see Albert Walk coming back to life.

Shape are also working on Glovers cafe expansion at the moment.

Pure Fit out are the contractors so far for the hospitality units in Bray Central. Their work is superb and one of the best in the business so high expectations for the interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Was walking along the seafront this morning and saw a food truck selling chicken wings set up beside Rainbows. Certainly looks a lot nicer than that tacky pop-it stand that was there in the summer. Odd time of the year to open something like this though.

Yeah

Like there is just a constant "announcement coming soon about anchor tenant" for about 3 years now. Its nearly ready to open and I think there is still no anchor tenant.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I'm sure all the Air B&B guests in the building will find it most convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Do you think someone would invest 500k in an apartment in Bray for the Airbnb market? I find that hard to believe as cant see how you could get a return. I had a look before for relatives and all that was up there was a few single rooms in homes and some hotel rooms which suggests there isn't a market there for it.

The original post about Air BNB was typical of negatives that ill informed people make. Sure there's still people on Bray Open Forum who insist that the Bray Central shopping area won't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

I'm at the stage now of wondering if the people who say Bray Central won't open are taking the p*ss or just plain stupid! The level of negativity in BOF about everything from parking prices, electric charging bays, tight parking spaces, toilets, traffic to swans is infuriating. People are never happy, they live to complain and these people probably contribute very little.

I cant wait for it to open and specifically the "expensive cinema"! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Anyone heard the rumours about flyefit opening in the new centre?

Advertisement