Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2022 and whingeing students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Everyone is not equal entering the LC - but the LC treats everyone equally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wait until next year's 'Collage (sic) is too hard, I want a degree now, I can't take the stress. I am worth it, My mammy said so' protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I thought History Queen explained it very well. I'd love to hear what airy means by the "reality"

(Not being snide, just curious)

Here you go. Just click on the tab that says "Assessment Arrangements"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I have a daughter in 6th and she really hopes exams proceed as normal.

Assessment of some sort has to take place, and standardized exams are the only way to ensure uniformity across the 60,000 plus lc students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Decisions about course points are not made by what is described on this thread alone, other factors are considered by a board of people. Not all the time, but it's not just simple maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Of course that happened. No teacher knows what grades a pupil will achieve before the exam. I could not predict what each pupil in my class will get in an exam.

Might have a rough expectation but that can be way off on results day. In either direction.

So why would I underestimate.

Not sure what you mean. What factors? What board?

Are you suggesting that points may be raised so a course is under-subscribed??

Why on earth would a college do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

What factors and what board? What you are saying is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Do you really think I'm going to prove things to you and present evidence? 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

What you said is not true.

Edit:I also didn't ask for evidence or you to prove anything, just to clarify what you were talking about.

Post edited by History Queen on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

How does making tye LC easier or less stressful make it more relevant to the challenges of university? Avoidance of exam stress is not a virtue in an education system.

Also, the proposed changes are being confused with a proper continuous assessment model. The obvious grade inflation seen last year is evidence of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

The idea of making kids do exams in this day and age is antiquated, they've too much to be doing to be sitting inside studying all evening, and then there's mental health loads of kids have mental health these days it's unfair to make them do schoolwork and study on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Same here.

The hybrid model has produced massive grade inflation - leading to massive points inflation - and a whole lot of uncertainty for students.

The LC isn't the ideal system but at least it's a somewhat level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

5 fold increase in number of students getting maximum points during the pandemic. And then there's people here saying teachers don't give easier marks to their students!

The same people saying that are saying how difficult it's been on students during the pandemic! So how has their been a 5x in the number of students getting max points?

Grades need to be deflated this year. And yeah, some students last year sitting on inflated grades will benefit but it's going to be tiny numbers. Just need to get on with it now and stop whingeing. Pandemic is coming to an end, we're going back to normal! Life is not fair so put up or shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ainebell

I Completely agree with everything you have said, my son is in LC and feels exactly the same regarding the possibility of predicted grades, it will be the worse possible outcome if they go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

When will a final decision be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In other words completely different benefits depending on how relatively well off your parents are but you all do the same test. That's not the definition of equality of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Firstly, as the parent of an LC student, this student union and their points dont appear to represent all students. I dont know any of them (sample size about 40) who were asked by the union on this.

There are a large number of them who want to do the exam because they have been working away at it and realise that the inflated predicted grades machine doesn't work and will make it harder for them to get the course they want, over not doing the exam at all.

I do hope they reduce the number of potential choices in the exams to reflect the disruption that there has been, not make the questions easier but reduce the potential areas to be examined, give a high level view of what areas will be focused on. In my sons school several teachers have been out since Christmas, the school has stopped trying to get subs as I can only presume they are not out there. This results in days of multiple free classes. Of course those can be used for study, but when you haven't covered all of the curriculum due to school closures or teacher absences then its challenging to study areas not covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ainebell

I agree with your points,

I also have a son in LC and he does not want predicted grades for exactly the reasons you've stated. It will be near impossible to get the course they want if predicted grades go ahead .A lot of places last year went to random selection, this will happen again, I know this is not something some students want to hear, but alas it's true, ...predicted grades are an easy option for Higher points without having to work and sit the exam 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kids these days are pampered and soft, I don't know what they will do when as life goes on they have to face real problems.

Pretty sure the same was said of my generation and I've been out of school for over a decade. Dealt pretty fine. This generation have literally lived through circumstances that last happened a century. That's not remotely easy to come of age during such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So how did you make it through the pandemic when you were a teenager with mental heath issues?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Post of the thread.

The memory test is simply outdated and not fit for purpose. But the continuous assessment model is the same, its just more drawn out. Eventually you will see everyone figuring out the system and gaining 400-600 points and point inflation makes the whole thing pointless anyway. We could never do the whole "interview for college places" here in Ireland as we are a wholly corrupt nation where it will be who you know etc.. The one thing about the one off exam is that it wouldn't allow this. The leaving cert as it stands though has been completely dumbed down from the one is sat in the early 2000s (even in the same exam format).

Would completely disagree with another poster who claimed multinationals are huge advocates for how great our educations system is. I've worked in finance and tech (fin-tech) and I can tell you now that i've seen first hand the frustration managers have had with graduate programme starters (the companines are usually US snobs who ask for an impressive degree/big L.C points) and they simply cannot understand how some of the new starters achieved such results based on their "on the job" performance. When left to figure things out, they usually struggle unless its completely black and white. Employer groups have highlighted this numerous times but its not sexy news.

Its easy for us old fogees (late 30s in my case) to pan the new generation, but things had been chipping away even in my days in school, people starting to lack resilience etc.. I find the younger generation are superb with utilising technology but the theory behind it is a mystery to them. The communication skill are generally very poor, the average college leaver has demands way above their actual abilities. And the lack of resilience is absolutely frightening, and when you couple that with their perpetually unlikely hopes of ever having a home to call their own, a pension, a family they can afford at a relative age, then it really is a bleak future, i'd hate to be a young person today.

I was lucky to go to university myself, but the most impressive work colleagues I have ever had were Irish nationals with no third level (1.they simply had to be good to get their foot in the door in the age where everyone has a degree and 2. stay there) and foreign nationals who may have done a masters here, but other than that they never encroached of our "world class" education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I understand the problems facing the LC kids this year. I maybe don't fully agree with them on most points. They are all at the same advantage/disadvantage as the rest of their year.

The one point I do see is an issue is that they are going to be facing students from previous years (with inflated grades) in the hunt for college places this year.

so to make things as fair as possible I think the Dept should have a hybrid approach this year.

But from 2023 onwards anybody who is applying for a college place can only then use grades achieved in a traditional exam setting. This means anybody who has been (lets say) awarded grades must sit the LC to reapply to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

The points are inflated for predicted grades. The number who got 625 in 2021 was 6 times higher than in 2019. There were students who got 625 points who were refused entry to their preferred course because of the high number who got 625.

I agree that the leaving cert is not fit for purpose. I laugh when I see the league tables published. They make it look like it is a great achievement for that school. It's not in the slightest. It's to do with how much parents are willing to pay for grinds. I have friends who went to the top 10 schools in the league tables and they were getting grinds in at least 6 subjects for leaving cert. You can buy a good leaving cert if you are willing to pay enough to the top grinds people. That system is not fit for purpose.

The leaving cert needs to be overhauled but predicted grades are not the solution to that either. We should look more at open book exams similar to they do in colleges than a memory game.

The leaving cert should go ahead as normal this year. If we can be at school as normal then they can do exams as normal. They have greater choice in the questions they can answer in the exams and that is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Should be sat as normal. If it helps, offer more options in questions to reduce the stress e.g. English paper, not guessing what poet is coming up and having more options as to which poet to write about. More time on questions. There are ways around this without having to resort to the proposed hybrid model.

Not buying the mental health argument here either. Yes covid has been rough, but I would hazard to guess doing the LC under any condition is tough, I know It was for me. In fact one of the most stressful events of my life. It sounds belittling but this is just a case of showing a bit of resilience and getting on with it.

As I mentioned above there are ways to give more leniency in terms of exam timings, content asked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Is the Leaving Certificate a perfect system? Of course it is not. Are there any perfect systems out there in the world? Of course not. It is important to remember that one of the reasons so many multinationals moved to Ireland was its highly educated workforce. Of course, tax was also a big motivator but we should not underestimate the role that our education system played. I’d be very hesitant to go tampering with it. Some countries have ruined their education systems by trying to “modernise” them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I can’t say that I agree with you. Ever before the pandemic it was becoming clear that Mental Health is a big problem for teenagers/ LC students. The points race has been around for more then two decades at this stage so it’s not the only reason why there has been an increase in teenagers with Mental Health difficulties. We as a society need to look for root cause of this and try and fix it.

Now I definitely believe there has to be a change in the LC. Perhaps a mixture of end of year exam, plus project work or continuous assessment etc depending on the subject.

There is far more to life then study but realistically the LC is not the last exam for majority of LC students whether they head for college or a trade.

This year’s cohort have had a pandemic thrown into the mix and honestly fair dues to them. Will predictive grading help? Possibly not. Many have no JC that can be used for standardisation across all students in LC in the country.

Advertisement