Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Handed and Biased Moderation in coronavirus-covid-19 forum.

Options
  • 14-01-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭foxsake

I want to raise an issue of biased and heavy handed moderation by mod BEASTY in the coronavirus-covid-19 forum in particular the Relaxation of restrictions thread.

I had been warned before over a choice of words regarding the covid10 vaccine - I said it changed your body but pointed out I didn't know if that was positive or negative. I received a message warning me on vaccine misinformation - i let it go . I didn't need a row and it wasn't worth the effort tbh.

However I posted a subsequent post (quoted) which BEASTY deleted and further warned me

In a few years - the current denial of "It's a coincidence and you can't link it to the vaccine " will be be swept away by late to the party evidence that for some the vaccines caused health issues and the official line will be a mix of "Shure it was a pandemic - bad things happened " and "Wasn't it voluntary , nobody made you take it"

I think both the deletion and warning are out of order - I don't know why he has an issue with the post bar he has a dislike of people with different opinions.

I think my prediction of the future is fair comment and also my other posts have been pro vaccine in terms of people who wish to take it should. That is should be a choice . Hardly anti vaccine - 5G rabble rousing ?

yet I'm met with a deleted post, a warning and a terse message "Conspiracy theory nonsense" .

What for open (or partially open at least) debate.

Thanks

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear. The new platform allows us to attach specific posts to a PM. Although it's nominally described as a warning", when 0 points are applied it's called a "notice". All that happened here is you received a PM advising you of why the post was deleted. No wider implications unless you continue with your conspiracy theory rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭foxsake

you haven't grasped the point at all.

further to this , please indulge me how my speculation on what people may say in the future is "conspiracy theory".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You admit it's speculation. That's more than enough evidence given the underlying comment and the way you presented it

that's am extremely warped view . the entire website consists of a huge amount of speculation.

You could argue its one of the main tenets of boards

It's gotta be more personal for your crusade.

Anyway i posted this to discuss with a higher power , not you tbh - we have tried that via PM and got nowhere.

What "higher power" are you expecting here?

• Advertisement

not emmetspiceland anyway - what is with those "likes" btw ?

I guess I had this fantasy that some super mod called "supreme commander #01" would post and say "to hell with you Beasty, you are a [insert foul word]. leave this man in peace" then same super mod would send me a nice PM saying "sorry about that , we have send beasty to the gulag and it'll never happen again."

something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I had a post deleted by Beasty and described as "Conspiracy Nonsense" or "speculation" after I said boosters mandated may be required every 3 months. France has now required boosters every 4 months. He can nit pick on the time period but I want that withdrawn.

You had a post deleted and received a PM explaining why it was deleted. That explanation was "pure speculation", not "Conspiracy nonsense"

Now do you agree it was speculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A thread about the future removal of restrictions is a speculation thread. Literally everything is speculation. And my speculation was 30 odd days out from being bang on. Thanks for reinstating my post and removing the warning

It's a "Notice" advising you of why your post was removed. Do you want me not to bother advising you next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

It seems that anyone who suggests that NPHET be open to scrutiny has their post deleted.

I commented on one graph, that showed a booster shot had no statistical significance in preventing hospitalisation for those under 40. That’s what the data said not me. I never suggested people shouldn’t get a booster. Post was deleted.

Beasty seems to be pushing his agenda hard. Posts which falsely claim antigen tests and useless are promoted despite an overwhelming body of international evidence that they do work. Posts that don’t parrot NPHET get deleted.

The post that I deleted was one where you were saying the data shows no benefits to under 50s getting boosters. I simply said to you when deleting it that public health advice shows otherwise. Do you think we should allow posts that actively discourage vaccinations?

And I acted because it was reported. If stuff gets reported it get's reviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

In that case why is this post still here after a few weeks of it being flagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

The post did not actively discourage boosters, it just showed the findings from some studies. They were facts not opinions. You a actively promoting the false narrative about antigen testing. I don’t think that should be allowed for starters.

another post you deleted was when I called BS on the 5% incidental hospital admission and I quoted NHS data as being wildly different, I questioned why NPHET data was drastically different than that of the Danish and UK equivalents. You branded me a conspiracy theorist. I think everyone now accepts that NPHET was not accurate with their 5% figure.

The ryan turbidy thread,a couple of years ago he was likened to a pedophile,called a creep,also called a weirdo among other things.i emailed the screenshots to niamh,she asked me to email her a link to the thread,which i did.i also asked her what her opinion was on all the comments,she hadnt got the manners to reply though,even though she was quick to ask me what thread the comments where on when i told her they were libellous

This thread is about moderation of the Coronavirus forum. I do not moderate the Radio forum

Well you did ask me what thread it was so i was just being courteous replying with said thread

• Advertisement

Your post was irrelevant to this thread. You were asking me a question about why no action was taken in a thread in a forum I do not moderate. If you have an issue with another forum contact the mods there. This thread is about the Coronavirus forum.

Well then dont ask me again what thread it was in.you are an administraitor of this site as well as a mod on the coronavirus forum,i assume you looked at the screenshot that i posted so you knew very well that it was the ryan turbidy thread (the post is still there by the way,so i can assume that boards.ie. condones it) i will leave the last word to you because i have better things to be doing.i,m done here.

I did look. It does not state the thread or forum

And you brought it up here. All I'm doing is telling you it's irrelevant to this thread

The truth is dawning on me (slowly) that - You (Beasty) are the higher power is seek. This is a disaster for me and my quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This forum is not very democratic.... its full of "yes men" and their fans... take it for what it is... you will get some good info and alot of waffle...

There are other Site Administrators but they have not been very active since the platform change. I have put a call out to see if any wish to dip into various Help Desk threads

Your complaint is about my moderation rather than Admin functions (where I do have a final say), and anyone can post in these threads, so long as they post in a constructive manner. There are also Category Mods, but again they have been a little thin on the ground since the platform change. There has been a bit of an upturn on that front recently

Now this is an Admin instruction - do not comment on who thanks who. Stick to discussing the complaint you have made

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So are you replying here as a mod in which case there is a higher power, cmods and the other admins remaining on this site.

OR

are you posting as an admin, in which case it doesnt matter which threads you moderate?

/edit

Ah, based on your latest post I see its basically your site to do with as you wish now.

These things are being heavily reported by other users. Very understandable in this day and age. Also very understandable that you don’t have time for everything when short staffed.

From the perspective of the user on boards being moderated by admin when they are in the wrong is very worrying. It must be a nightmare dealing with these kinds of reports where you then must fact check and do lots of research etc…but bad moderation is worse often than no moderation.

Its not an envious position to be in. If you don’t act fast enough on reports the ones reporting then chastise you. Public health advice shouldn’t trump hard data. Two people in charge of the FDA in the US for decades left recently about this specific issue, that the boosters positive effect on young people, as minimal as it is, could be possibly offset by the minimal amount of damage that they cause. This is something I posted about at that time in the joe Biden thread in current affairs without any reprimand.

While boosting can further increase already very high levels of protection against even mild illness, the only people who really need an additional dose of vaccine are those who are at high risk of serious disease (including the elderly) or who might expose vulnerable household or workplace contacts if they got infected.

Dr. Marion Gruber and Dr. Phillip Krause findings based on all of the available studies. They left the FDA at the end of last year because the White House were trying to rush through approval of the booster for all ages. Something these highly respected doctors disagreed with.

as Greebo says , this site is effectively your fiefdom now.

On one hand I do admire your consolidation of power but on the other its frustrating to bare the brunt of your insistence that only your views is correct on the biggest talking point of the past few decades anyway.

Most of the interventions related to covid19 has been cackhanded at the hands of civil servants , weak mind politicians , craven media and greedy corporate interests cranking up the fear factor and them alone controlling the solution - the vaccine & lockdowns, the only solutions (apparently ?) - where we suffered a consolidation of elite views with either no regard for the majority or even worse still the elite that think they know best on how the proles should live. You can disagree with me, but why not debate me rather than the summary justice of deleting posts at your discretion. That smacks of a tantrum if I was frank.

Boards (or as I now know YOU) could have been a beacon for free expression, conversation and questioning the narrative during the past 2 years - which was a trying time - but it failed.

I can't understand this - it is supposedly a discussion forum , unless boards have been paid by the state in the same manner the legacy media has been. At least that would explain your stance against comment outside of the (it's an overused phrase I know - but it'll do for now ) overton window.

Post edited by foxsake on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Beasty banned me from the Covid forum for saying the 5km restriction was dumb and that I would not be sticking to it when it was announced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement