Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

If the costs of doing business increase while the value of cash decreases, that can impact the value of a company, depending on the company of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BABA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wtf happened in the evening...was up 4 figures at 5pm went out for dinner, watched football, checked in now and im down for the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Something similar here. I assume it was the disappointing jobs figures from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Netflix down 19% AHs can't be much help for tomorrow. It also feels like we are no where near capitulation/fear so still could have further to go here. does anyone know on degiro if its possible to get short exposure to US equitys?

• Advertisement

holy fcuk, same thing. I was up 1.6% a few hours ago and now flat

Was it the Russia comments from Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Brutal market. If theres a bit over reaction on way up I suppose it happens on way down. Lot of margin stuff probably too. Yellens comments maybe too. I am back to where I was in August.

I'm back down to -3% overall. I don't mind not gaining but it just makes me feel uncomfortable looking at -3% and we've not even had a crash.

Hope no one here is holding Netflix. Down 20% AH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Stairs up, elevator down springs to mind.

Nasdaq now corrected just over 10%

Amzn under $3k

Goog $2,650

Gan $6.80 (Added to position yesterday)

Paypal $172

All look good value to me if you can take a long term mindset (5yrs+)

A "safe" long term stock = Associated British Foods, owner of Primark (ABF). Dropped 4% today because of lower footfall in Dec. They are set up to do well in both an inflationary environment and non inflationary environment. Expansion into the US going well, plan to have 60 stores in US within 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Peloton!🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Just keeps falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Yes have a look at Lyxor S&P 500 Daily (-2x) Inverse UCITS ETF-Acc

It returns the inverse of the index multiplied by 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Watching cnbc group discussion here and some feeling that the rout hasn't started yet and worse to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Looking at fall in tech stocks in overnight trading and comparing to bond yields for the same period shows that investors are taking their money out of the stock market and fleeing to the safe haven of bonds.

Slaughtered. Down 4% today and 7% overall. And the rout hasn't even started. ****.

Down over 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Who says the rout hasn't started yet? This could still be healthy correction territory after 2021 gains, Fed announcements on the 26th will hopefully put a floor under it, Dems arent going to burn the house down in a year like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Interesting times. How low before your tempted to get the purse out? As Buffett says "The stock market is the only store in town, where everyone runs out when a sale is on".

Stick to the fundamentals and buy when stocks are very cheap.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im in the middle of bidding on 2 houses, I really dont need this, pure Murphys law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I am not sure if this has got much to do with rate hikes or the covid reopening? Leaning towards reopening seeing amazon, ttd, netflix taking big hits. There is definitely the realisation that "the new economy" and the pandemic stocks are not here to stay lol. The end of covid seems to have crept up on a lot of people and no seems to know what the future looks like, so much gains in certain names over last while...Will this continue etc. No doubt tapering impact and China slowdown having an impact too.

Might skip my usual monthly purchase this month and wait to see how it looks in a month.

There's always a lot of noise when the market drops 10%.

You won't hear half as much noise when the market rises 10-15%

Bad news sells.

Anyway, no matter how bad any crisis seems at the time any sound investment will pay off.

Today:

Bought Cleveland cliffs -> Impressive Free cash flow. Paying down debt fast.

Bought More Ally Financial -> Solid 2.5% dividend plus a massive $2B Share buyback, almost 12% of float. Sharebuybacks are under rated imo.

Lastly bought More BEPC and PYPL

And who is to say they're right. The advice is always buy the dips, well this is a pretty big dip. Today I splashed out and bought Paypal, VWCE, SMT and Monks.

If this is a temporary dip I'd kick myself for not buying, if it's not temporary I'm confident they'll be higher when I go to sell in 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Like everyone else, I do not know what is going to happen but this is a chart of the 2000 / 2001 Nasdaq tech crash. There were plenty of buying opportunities with one day big dips here.

As someone on here pointed out a while ago Degiro are still charging fees, in fact after looking into this a little more, they are actually charging more now than the we're before.

Basically they've branded themselves as "commission free / zero fees", what they've basically done is raised their FX currency fee by 250% at the same time (now 0.25%).

The best appears to be Interactive brokers, Degiro and then Etoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

I think that was me in the "Using DeGiro" thread. It's not a large fee or anything but it was def irritating that they made a big-deal of being commission-free when they are still charging the 0.50 per trade but just calling it by a different name (per pg.7 of their latest Fees document). As you said on top of this the FX fee went from 0.10% to 0.25% so fees have indeed gone up across the board.

It's still great to have these low-fees brokers available to us - i remember my first investment was through AIB/Goodbody and the min fee per trade was 32 euro i think! DeGiro still good value for most i think, but having said that i'm considering setting up an account with Interactive Brokers for future monthly purchases on the back of this change, as they do seem to be best now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

More carnage coming today. My portfolio performance since end of Q3 2021 is grim

Advertisement