Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

😊

I dunno.. I have a feeling that Tony and some of the other "experts" who have become celebrities out of this - especially those who've probably made a fortune from interviews and getting to push their views - won't go that quietly.

Anyway, Micheal has gotten what he wanted - yet another report to tell him what everyone else has known for weeks (that Omicron is as dangerous as the sniffles for the majority) so he'll make another one of his serious speeches later with the inevitable warning that we shouldn't go mad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Irony, Morning Ireland now discussing turning Derelict pubs / Buildings into homes 😳, there'll be plenty to choose from 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If public health is no longer the primary consideration then MM will surely take the option that will maximise the political capital he can extract from this moment. Not something I think he has a feel for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From his perspective it's now a political decision and a weekly roadmap feels like his cautious approach but would be just as happy if they agreed to drop it all today.

I mentioned earlier, I'm predicting numerous book launches and speaking engagements. I think CMO will retire, I just get a sense he's been a bit lost, disinterested of late, just a humble opinion mind you. I say this given the complete u turn, I honestly never thought NPHET would go so far but they were essentially pushed into this over the past few days (not a bad thing) but of course I could be completely wrong, will be interesting how far MM will go later.

• Advertisement

Let's say a new variant, a more dangerous one, emerged later this year. Not saying it will happen, but for the sake of this post, just take it as a possibility.

Wouldn't it be far, far, far better to expose everyone to mild Omicron now - boosting natural immunity against COVID-19 among the entire population, so that if the unlikely more dangerous variant emerges, a form of complete herd immunity has already been achieved among the population?

If I were a member of NPHET, that would be my line of thinking.

Open fast and hard, expose everyone to Omicron, achieve total community immunity, and move on accordingly.

Yeah, Omicron seems to have solved the problem for us. I think NPHET have basically removed themselves from decision making for now until they need to look at the remaining measures. As for a new variant I think they will treat it as flu because by autumn we'll have more treatments, like antivirals and new vaccine shots for those at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Not going to lie, it's going to feel kinda weird walking into a packed pub again. I know in my local there wasn't much sympathy for the unvaccinated, the attitude was along the lines of "they didn't put the shoulder to the wheel", so to speak. Reckon the atmosphere will be a little awkward but hopefully it settles back into the old normal pretty quickly. I certainly don't want to see old buddies falling out over it.

Seriously looking forward to the day when I can confine the bloody masks to the bin forever, whenever that's allowed😀

The question should not really arise as people stop talking about COVID, although some will definitely find it hard to reset after this.

• Advertisement

Removing the need for mandatory masks should be part of the easing of restrictions.

It's now end of January, pretty much. They could perhaps introduce masks during winter, only if evidence of a more severe variant emerged. But between now and then, masks should be a personal choice. And if no such variant or threat emerged, the same principle should apply - educate and allow people to make their own choice based on the level of risk they are willing to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I see no merit to that to be honest. The public health authority have more or less said to get on with it. I remember when two weeks was a long time. Two months of phasing serves what purpose? And for whom?

It would be a surprise to see that today, a welcome one. Something over a number of weeks gives businesses time to reset or in the case of employers to get ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Quags

😂 go in there, throw on the jukebox and start hugging everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Leo stated end of March, people are talking about masks ending on Feb 28th but I just can't find anything online.

So I'm assuming they will wait 2 months before anything happens with masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Really happy they are moving fast on restrictions but it does seem like a strange move considering how cautious NPHET have been in the past.

Do people here think it's political to try save FF and give Martin some good news rather than Varadkar or is it the Omicron results

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭User1998

How do you feel about restrictions ending Raind? You seem to be the only poster still being negative today. Are you unhappy about restrictions ending or did I miss one of your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Its over !! Yeehaw !!

I'd like to thank the virus for playing ball in the end. Let's learn to live together Omicron, you're not the worst.

To think we were actually discussing mandatory Vax a few weeks ago. Insane how quick things move.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But that idea has never made sense.

All government needs to do is get out of the way. Those that are ready to reopen can do so, those that need more time can take it.

Allowing businesses to reopen is not forcing them to open, it is simply giving them the choice. So why do the government need to give businesses weeks to reset?

• Advertisement

I dont know where you got the impression I was being negative in a post where I pointed out that what I predicted would happen looks like happening, and also where I pointed out people should spend less time worrying about what attention seekers on twitter say about anything.

I for one am delighted with the fact that it appears most restrictions are going to be lifted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What about the businesses that don't need time to reset or get ready? The bars and restaurants want normal opening times tonight. Nobody will be forcing any person or business to do what they're not ready do do, but stopping businesses that are ready to open from opening immediately is political suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so some of Europe saying it should be treated as a flu now, as most of us that had it have been saying all along.

im sorry for the families of the 6k people that passed away, but as a nurse friend told me(that lost her own mother in march 20), "a small fall would have killed them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You don't need to meet Orla Hegarty to know she's a hysterical dramatic Covid-zealot arsehole

Oh I think the time change is the easiest to do and could be done today, the other stuff will take more time. TBH they could scrap it all immediately but another roadmap is more in keeping with the approach. Not defending them just reckon this will be the strategy but will be very happy to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

thats a good point, as i pointed out ebfore, in Spain, they have their own Local meeting for each region (like Andalucia), and they just decide "ok, bars can open tomorrow as normal, IF you want to"

Barcelona done it this week.

whereas in Ireland, Nphet decide and leak it, then tell the Govt.. what a **** joke it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Exactly, everybody needs to be vaxxed, including the poorer nations.

The African nations you speak of had overwhelmed health systems which were in a shocking state to begin with and poor testing regimes so it might have looked like they had low case numbers. The pubs never closed there because there are very few pubs in the desert

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think anything other than lifting all the restrictions at 00:01 tonight would be unacceptable to many... Depending on pub rosters we might not see a change until next week. Would be nice to see the Munster game at full capacity on Sunday but unless they can mobilise staff very quickly it would not be possible I'd think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A roadmap for what though? NPHET have said that everything but mask wearing and isolating when positive are gone and the govenment can decide when to lift everything. Previously we had roadmaps because NPHET said we should. That is not the case this time.

As of today people will not be social distancing, even if the government say the need to do it until next week. I guarantee that bars will continue to serve after 8pm tonight even if the government say that they have to wait. The cat is out of the bag and the government will have to deal with the reality of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Quags

I wonder with the grand announcement at 6pm and IF he opens up like NPHET recommended will it be tomorrow where we see pubs having normal hours again or will he wait till Monday so gives business time to restock/rehire (I will hazard a guess and say businesses are doing this this morning anyway)

It still doesn't feel real that we may be coming to the some sort of ending, we still should push for masks to become optional to user and for the love of god take away every yellow covid sign and burn them

Advertisement