Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Nutrition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ok no probs and thanks. I get that about doughnuts and coke, my kids above all, hardly even know what fizzy drinks are. We have a good balanced household nutrition, homemade bread, eggs for breakfast, porridge, fish, nuts and seeds etc.. But we also have hot chocolate and pizza night.

I'm not talking about the obvious sugars and macronutrient fat. I was asking about excess sugars from carbs. Too much bread or cereals, too big portion size and constantly snacking. Interesting article on de novo lipogenesis. Its interesting that the study pointed to potential genetic differences. Also of the participants of lean and obsese women, there was no mention of running lol I'm laughing still at your Kipchoge jibe 😁

Doesn't your insulin respond to almost every time you eat a carb, inhibiting the metabolism of fat? Is excess carbs not sugar? And what does your body do with it? I thought (without know about DNL) that it is converted to fatty acid and stored. Is Lipogenisis a really specific pathway, an outside case? My wife is 53kg, can eat crap and carbs all day and remains at 53kg. Given we eat mainly same meals, I tend to eat more and more often between meals.

Nobody in my house is overweight, its more a case of wanting to run lighter as I'm not naturally built like a marathon runner and less weight is less for my dodgy knee to deal with! I remember being at a given race weight for my first Ironman and coincidently I was at that weight when I finally went sub3. Both times I remember feeling physically awesome and had leaps of energy. My nutrition was just cleaner, no big changes.

What I have found is that putting the few Winter KGs on is ever more difficult to shift for the summer. Its likely an "off season" habit I have had since competitive days. However without being fixated on a weight, there is just a small shift to get back to that weight but making it sustainable.

WFH has been a factor to without doubt.

@whitelightrider welcome! I'm almost 44 by the way 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds like this is not the thread for you so! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Excess carbohydrates are burned as heat through thermogenesis. The metabolic rate rises while the cells build glycogen, which releases heat (burns calories)

The increase in insulin's sensitivity (efficiency) of eating MORE sugar exceeds any blood sugar-raising effect from consuming more carbohydrates.

It has been proven that diabetics do better on a high carb/high sugar diets than the opposite.

Think about this real logically.

The lowest levels of obesity in the world are found in countries where the diets almost exclusively consist of starchy carbs...Asia, Africa, Mexico, Peru.

The rice-eating Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese are probably eating their bodyweight in carbs everyday they are not even overweight nevermind obese.

I lived in Japan for 18 months. Yes they eat rice and noodles, but also a lot of fish, leaves, eggs seeds and drink gallons of green tea and move more than your typical Westerner.

I think we agree on the sugar vs starchy carbs, but overeating anything will lead to weight gain. It's as simple as +/- for kcals in isolation. Excess starchy carbs, creating a kcal surplus creates what? Nothing, because heat burns them off?!

In one way I get it. You do a easy run and you burn some glycogen, heat burns a little. You do a HIIT session, and your muscles stay warm for hours, consuming glycogen.

Where is the heat generated? A raised metabolic rate from eating too much?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Japanese have some of the lowest obesity rates in the world..Ireland and Westerners do not.

Westerners are doing exactly what you are doing on this thread. Calories in versus Calories out, Oh carbs turn to sugar and sugar turns to fat, excess carbs make you fat, Keto diet is the way eat all the bacon you want, paleo for the win bro.

Westerns with all their diet fads and shite are the fattest on the planet.

Carb the **** up like the Kenyans...simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Apologies - that is what I meant. I have to say though, I've no idea what the difference is, I just always have both tubs in the house and make sure to use the correct one. Couldn't tell you which is which and what they are for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

I know what you mean, I'm a chef and I've even met chefs that don't know the difference.

Baking powder is a product. It contains a raising agent and an acidic ingredient, bicarbonate soda and cream of tartar.

Bicarbonate soda is pure sodium carbonate, it produces a gas when you add something acidic.

For example if you're making scones with baking powder then milk will do.

If you're using bicarbonate soda only, then you'll need buttermilk to help them rise.

This is also why you add vinegar to bicarbonate soda when using it as a cleaning agent

I think! 😁

How was the bread, texture, taste?

Post edited by Ed...... on

Have one in the oven now. Test with the kids in the morning. Won't tell them. I'll just cut a slice instead of the usual brown bread 😁

Fail 😒 Didn't rise, doesn't smell enticing either. Height comparison with the brown bread. Used 2 heaped tsp of baking soda.. Not sure what went wrong but it felt dense going into the pan 🤔 oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I’ve been doing very very low carb for over two years. Lost a load of weight, the hair stopped falling out, energy levels improved massively, better skin and I don’t need to fuel on any run.

Find it great for general health, don’t do a huge amount of intermittent fasting but I always felt very good after doing so.

You absolutely don’t need sugars to run

TbL

• Advertisement

Just put one in the oven. Thought it was a bit dense too going in. Will report back!

This just popped up on my feed, I followed a few of their recipes during lockdown and they turned out well

Thanks for that explanation.

The bread is gorgeous. Nice and crispy crust, but really soft, yet light bread. Not at all dry - gorgeous texture, really fresh. When I toast it and put butter on it, it almost melts in the mouth! Am having it with avocado and a small bit of salt in the mornings, it is lovely.

May I ask - it might be a stupid question but I used Glenisk live natural yoghurt in it, which is significantly more expensive than the lidl brand natural yoghurt. I've no problem paying for the live yoghurt, but if I am cooking it am I wasting my money?

Thank you

Oh no! Did you press down the mixture when putting into the tin? I didn't, I wonder could that be the difference

‘Ed’s Bread’

Very happy with mine. Looks and tastes great! I used Lidl Greek-style natural yoghurt. The mixture felt a little on the thick side to me but the result was great. Might leave it in the oven for another few minutes next time, a tiny bit doughey at the bottom, but that’s nitpicking. Thanks Ed.

Yeah that might be it. I'll have another go soon

Glenisk would definitely be a needles extravagance in the bread IMO, better enjoyed on its own.

You're right about pushing the bread down. Soda bread , unlike yeast bread, benefits from being handled as little as possible. Beat the wet ingredients all you like, mix the dry all you like but when you mix the two do it as little and as lightly as possible.

@Murph_D that's a good looking loaf👍

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

Similar experience here. As well as the better weight management and energy levels I find that my mood is much better and my digestive system works better. When I'm eating carb heavy foods I get bloated and recovery is definitely slower.

The struggle for me though is that I have to eat different meals from the rest of my family which so often isn't feasible due to time constraints. Because of that I find it difficult to commit to low carb long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I too got in on this porridge bread action, lovely to have after my run this morning! What's next month's recipe Ed?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

AI running this webinar event next Thursday at 7pm, for a fiver.

• Advertisement

Great to hear!

Staying on the theme of porridge and bicarbonate soda, the first recipe I think of is Anzac biscuits. It's a recipe I was introduced to while working in NZ around Anzac Day. There's a great history behind them but they are also very nice biscuits.

I'm not professing them as super healthy but they're certainly better than anything from a packet and very easy made.

I'll post a recipe up shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Here's a quick veg curry recipe that doesn't take much longer than the length of time to boil rice. Pretty cheap to make, the below will serve 4, I usually double up and batch cook. Use whatever blend of spices you like you don't have to follow line by line.

1 red onion

2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp ginger paste

½ a red or green chilli or ½ tsp chilli flakes

1 tbsp curry powder or turmeric

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground paprika

1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes

1 x 400g tin light coconut milk

1 x 400g tin of chickpeas drained and rinsed

10-12 cherry tomatoes 

Half a bag of frozen butternut squash or another root veg

1 tsp salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper

small bunch of coriander

zest of ½ lime, juice of ½ lime

Fry off oil, onion, garlic, ginger and chilli

Add spices and fry for 1 min, add a tbsp of water if needed to bring everything together

Add tined ingredients, cherry tomatoes and veg

Salt and pepper to season

Simmer for 10-15 mins (get your rice going at this stage also nice just with naan)

Add lime juice, lime zest and coriander leaves and leave sit for 5 mins.

Enjoy!

^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Ceepo

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I cook something very similar to this every week and it delish! Even better with a cold beer 😋

Indeed it's a pretty flexible recipe, just chuck in what's in the fridge. Day 2 if feeling a little naughty chuck in a tub of sour cream and tbsp of tomato paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

He's featured on a few episodes of "Pushing Limits" podcast. Those episodes are worth listening to alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Any recipes/ideas for fuelling for half /marathons . I’m trying to steer clear of gel . Last marathon I was using kinder choc bon bons - frozen when starting . They worked really well with zero stomach issues until day of actual marathon when I ran into stomach problems at 20 miles. I liked them because they melted quite quickly and not a lot of chewing and came individually wrapped .

You don’t need to fuel in a half marathon unless you’re running a good bit over 2 hours. Eat well throughout race weekend and a good breakfast should see you through.

• Advertisement

I'd generally agree with this. I've often run 2 to 2hrs15 as a LR pre breakfast but I would sometimes be on fumes for last 20 mins. I haven't done many half marathon events but in training for my last marathon I ran one every week as a session with warm up cool down. I generally bring 1 gel as an emergency. Rarely use it. I do remember taking one on my HM PB with 2 miles to go for all the good it did. Probably psychological more than anything. I do wonder how quickly you burn glycogen going hard for <90 mins?

Advertisement