Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

He's not that wrong though. Complaining about Evil Overlord Tony has been some people's raison d'etre for quite a while, and I expect they'll be levelling similar complaints for another while yet. Every ill to befall the country in the near future will be attributed by some to NPHET.

Hopefully most will be just happy to get on with things as usual though - enjoy your longed-for pints all!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say Meehaul is bulling this morning about leaks last night. The letter apparently recommends the government be "pragmatic" in lifting restrictions, which implies not dropping everything at once, but phasing it in. The excitement of last night puts the pressure on Meehal now though. He won't get away with dragging this out much longer than 2-3 weeks.

I know we've only one source on masks being dropped on 28th February, but that would seem to make sense; give enough time for the current wave to tail off, allow all other activity to resume first before dropping them.

Masks will still remain in some contexts for most of this year. I expect if you attend any kind of medical appointment (even the dentist), you will have to wear one, and of course any hospital, nursing home or care facility. Until the end of this year, at least. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for hospitals to make this a permanent thing. Attending an A&E feels like going for a swim in sewage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Even McConkey is saying there's no justification for continued restrictions anymore. It's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was reported by some paper last night but I don’t believe it’s accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It truly is the end if he's saying it. I wonder will the constant fear mongering undertaken by 'ISAG' be called out by anyone now this is over?

• Advertisement

I'd say the "pragmatic" bit is just a bit of covering to avoid accusations of changing things too quickly. Holohan is quoted as saying there's no public health justification for the majority of restrictions anymore. I can't see even dithering Martin dragging this out too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

The person I know who will be the most ecstatic about this news is a good friend who also happens to be an anti-vaxx covid denier, for whom the restrictions have caused a lot of anxiety and pessimism. They'll be incredibly relieved to know the restrictions are coming to an end. But is it bad that I don't wan to celebrate with them? Half of me wants to pop into them to share the good news, the other half is still angry at them and feels why should they celebrate when everyone else has done what was asked of them.

They're an independent body, accountable to nobody, so who's going to call them out?

I expect we'll see an "open letter" from Hegarty, Staines and Ryan this week accusing the government and NPHET of being "reckless" with public health and imploring them to keep capacity restrictions, masks and distancing for at least the rest of the year.

Their 15 minutes of fame are coming to an end, so they're getting more and more desperate to keep their names aloft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I think what he was getting at was that he could have one last opportunity to get a drink after 8pm because of that, before the rest of us could - if restriction lifting was delayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Will close contact rules be dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Because back before this you could've disagreed with them vehemently on some topics but still enjoyed their company and celebrated together over a whole host of other things? The "them vs us" mentality is one of the worst things to come out of the last two years and it's past time to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

you are right, this isn't the place to have such discussions. another issue for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wonder what will happen all the money some folks donated to lawyers etc with gofundmes allegedly fighting to get the restrictions removed.

Fools and their money..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unlikely for a while and it will probably be linked to decisions on masks.

At the end of the day, in all areas of society, there are a cohort of mé-féiners who are carried through life by the rest of us.

Anti-vaxxers are just another variant on it. Same as someone who spends their life on the dole without looking for work or that person who's really quick to ask for help, but always has an excuse for not giving it.

If you spend your time wondering about how you can make them "pay" for their selfishness and ignorance, then the only person you're hurting is yourself. Like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die.

Remember who that person is, they've shown you who they are. But there's no reason to "punish" them. You'd only be punishing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't discuss politics with my friends. I shut down those conversations.

My advice is put it behind you and just focus on the friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Doctor on CB slips in "I think the masks are here to stay".

What?

Good luck with that 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

As in, called out by journalists/media etc. for how they've conducted themselves. I realise they can't be held accountable in any sort of official capacity as they didn't legally do anything wrong...morally is another matter. But you're probably right, they'll make a few final plays for relevance before drifting off into obscurity (hooray)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Masks in a healthcare setting should become a permanent thing imo. Such a low cost measure for preventing spread of infections. COVID wise the most important thing is that we don't let the disease surveillance lapse. I can see this relaxation of restrictions also leading to a relaxation in testing and tracing. It should be scaled back appropriately. My concern is though that it may be reduced to level where it's insignificant.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the whole, "Giving them time to get ready" doesn't make any sense. Most places have still been open until 8pm anyway, there's not a lot of "getting ready" required to keep those doors open a few extra hours.

Fingers crossed. It'll be a bumper Jan/Feb for hospitality, at a usually very quiet time.

• Scare Byrne literally cant say one positive thing.

Between reading out messages from people who will now "scared" to be go out, saying people will be too "nervous" to walk up to bars and the real gem, somehow managing to work into the schools narrative that "children will get neck strain from carrying around heavy book bags.

There is something seriously wrong with her.

I hadn't listened in a long time but just threw it on for the craic this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tony playing 4d chess again. If the government announce opening times extensions for tonight they'll have given nobody time to prepare. If they announce the extensions from a future date they'll be questioned why they didn't release the restrictions from today. They. Cannot. Win.

He's really making his moves to transform the Republic into his Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

That is probably why both you and I and a large percentage of the country would benefit from some form of counselling😊

No doubt that there will be healing that needs to happen individually and between family and friends- I do hope time and normality wipes the slate clean and makes us less divided as a society. For me seeing the scorn and hate spewed online towards people who held an opposite opinion was one of the biggest negatives of the whole thing.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Masks will fizzle out naturally I suspect.

Once covid retreats out of news, people won't feel a pressure to wear them.

Numbers not wearing them/half wearing them have been increasing anyway. I'd say they'll fizzle out as you say then we'll get a formal removal of mask requirements once half the country isn't using them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is the people who are scared to go out who should go out, and the people who are nervous about walking up to the bar who should go to the bar.

Basic behavioural therapy for people with anxiety neuroses, phobias and OCDs is to do the thing they're scared of in order to recover psychologically.

Avoidance behaviour will just preserve these covid-related mental illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The main consideration for hospitality is stock and staff, I know my local this morning is trying to change rosters for the weekend now to take account of the changes, along with ordering more stock in & by all accounts the suppliers are out the door with late bars, clubs etc trying to get stock in ASAP so it could be a long day for deliveries.

Apart from that most places are good to go.

If you can open fire away, some might need a few more days but really it's down to the individual business now to make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Agreed. But if they come out and don't ALLOW pubs to stay open tonight, and force them to wait until tomorrow, that is taking the píss. As you say, let the businesses decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A lot of those talking about being scared are just waffling anyway.

I've often seen these people saying they're concerned but they still go the pub every week.

Just normal Irish whinging rubbish that people don't actually mean.

Advertisement