Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

It sure is! Happy to eat my hat - assumed we were in for a completely painful 'phased reopening' with an 'abundance of caution'. Martin has been handed an open goal/off ramp by NPHET here and he'd be mental and politically clueless not to grasp it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They wouldn't be the big bars. But if you're in one of the smaller bars (even in the city center) after the doors get closed, you won't be kicked out. Hopefully though it all unnecessary from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This would have been a valid concern even 8 weeks ago, but Omicron changed the game completely. There is virtually no difference at this stage with Omicron. Restrictions on or off it will spread just as quickly. Look at China. Locking down entire cities and using forced mass testing and they're still only barely getting on top of it. So it's clear that if a country is not prepared to go to those extremes (and I would hope most countries aren't), then most restrictions with Omicron are a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat is going on about people now "cramming" into stadiums etc. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Good to know if anything like this happens again in the future, thanks

Publican on Pat Kenny said if they get the go ahead from government at 6pm they can open until regular closing hours tonight... So they only need 2 hours notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wants everyone to be masked up leaving the stadium, how is that the Aviva's problem? 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I understand this but this is another reason why I think this leak is odd, they seem to be retaining masks but getting rid of the COVID cert for hospitality etc, is there any evidence that cloth masks reduce Omicron spread? There seems to be evidence still though that non vaccinated people make up a disproportionate amount of hospital numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The second bit is probably more important to me that the first, but it will all make for a better day out on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Is there any evidence the COVID cert reduce Omicron spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I can assure you that many businesses and their staff that, if given the chance even this evening that if permitted could stay open to their old opening times pre Covid. Some may not, but many will. The ones that are able to, should not be penalised for staying open.

Any client I work for has plenty of stock in that they are not running bare at the end of every day. Supply lines for fresh food is good. Drinks are in well in advance. There may be a bit of late night ordering done, but they will definitely get through this weekend and adjust accordingly next week. This is a much easier situation to handle than the reverse which they faced with all the stock in and not being able to sell it.

Trading hour restrictions should be removed from 18:00 at the time of MM speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I used to respect him as a broadcaster, but Covid has definitely changed him I feel. Absolutely obsessed with it. I think his own personal circumstances (he must feel at threat from Covid) are influencing his broadcasting ability too much

I can't wait to start licking door handles again

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

There hasn't been any real reason or logic behind most of theses restrictions for a very long time, not much point trying to figure it out now tbh. For what it's worth though, i'm guessing they see masks as a 'least offensive' type of restriction they can just hang onto as a sop to the true believers. I'm hopeful there'll be enough non-compliance eventually to see them quietly disappear (that's me being overly optimistic now!).

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Looks like we may actually be getting our old normal back. May be a few hangovers but reckon most people had enough of a taste of the ‘new normal’ and decided it tastes a bit sh*t, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The face mask should be optional except when rammed on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I can live with masks in shops and public transport but I am finished with wearing one to and from my table or when going to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Honestly in the early days I found him fairly balanced, pragmatic and calling for simple measures to be used like mask, antigen testing etc.

He, like a lot of people found it difficult to reverse course once vaccines came on stream. He's a great broadcaster imo but I've pretty much tuned out over the last 6 months in any covid chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Masks on public transport and healthcare setting make some sense probably but wearing one going to Aldi while pubs will be back to normal makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

The covid worriers at work are twitching, fretting over the "inevitable spike" once restrictions are lifted...

Never easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I think this is great news personally, I am just trying to work out how they arrived at them, though as choronzonix says that may be pointless.

My point is we have evidence that omicron still impacts the unvaccinated, not as much as previous variants but they still make up a disproportionate amount of people in hospital.

Keeping the unvaccinated out of hospitality would presumably mean less catch it.

If spread among the unvaccinated who are disproportionately at risk isn't a issue why then keep the mask rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Threads this morning showing all the giddiness of a child the day before Christmas, but it's a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Forgot to say, omicron may be mild, but it's still covid, and the fact that it's covid is all that matters to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I feel most people are having difficulty seeing beyond their personal circumstances in this whole thing. You have people who've wanted restrictions lifted for 18 months so they can go to the pub, so they can bring their kids into shops, so they can book big tables.

I also see other people today feeling somewhat "lost". They have vulnerable family members and they're feeling now like they've been suddenly placed in harm's way, asking what they're supposed to do.

Both kinds of people not seeing the bigger picture. I think it's perfectly OK for someone in the latter camp to feel worried today, it's natural. But they have to accept that one way or another the day was coming. Notions of completely eliminating Covid have been gone for nearly a year at this stage. We always knew that eventually we would have to just vaccinate as much as we can and then move on. Indefinite restrictions were never an option.

They will ease back into it. They lived their lives before 2020 going into busy pubs, packing into stadiums, visiting friends and family without a second thought given to what diseases might be circulating in the air. And they will do so again.

Why are people unable to use their brains and see shades of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I understand that, but people feeling anxious and asking what they're supposed to do is, quite frankly, laughable. Do these people need Tony and the government to regular every inch of their existence? Hold their hands crossing the road? If people feel at risk, exercise personal responsibility, stay at home, don't go into a busy shop, don't visit a vulnerable person unless you've taken an antigen, etc. After 2 years, the facilities are now in place to live like this...if one wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How would keeping them out of hospitality mean theyre less likely to get it? Sure all the vaccinated people in there dont spread it dont ya know!

Seriously though, the CMO et al have finally realised that yes some people will go to hospital, others will die, but the overwhelming vast majority of people, regardless of vaccination status, will be absolutely fine. So what if unvaccinated people catch covid? We saw the largest spike in case numbers ever this christmas, and the hospitals coped fine, so if we can survive that we can survive the rest of the year when spread is lower

Actually we are emerging because of Omicron which originated in the largely unvaccinated South Africa. So the vaccination did not bring about the end of Covid as was promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Odd that. These would be the same schools that they've insisted for the last 15 months were safe and not a main driver of Covid spread?

Dropping all other restrictions overnight really highlights how utterly pointless most of the hospitality nonsense was, especially things like the 8pm closing. Should have started phasing them out weeks ago, but better late than never!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The problem Pat Kenny has is that he is bitter over having to cocoon during the first part of the pandemic. He actually said on his show one day that he had to cocoon away at the start of the pandemic so why cant kids under 12 take a vaccine and when the person he had on said ah now Pat come on, Kenny dug his heels in and said he did what he was asked of why cant others. A bitter bitter man

Advertisement