Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I would rather they not get into the country in the first place. We have enough problems with some of our own cultural natives without adding anymore.

Well, the statistics say differently, given how high we are in quality of life studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Ireland does have a high quality of life... we all agree about that.

However it was Irish people (and their forebears) that built Ireland into what it is.....

Mass immigration objectively reduces this quality of life :(

It doesn't and it hasn't reduced it, because we have a high standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Mass immigration increases the pressure on hospital waiting lists and housing to name just two areas where we don't have a high standard of living.

Could add in added pressures on schools pupil/teacher ratio and that many immigrant children have little or no English which can hold back their classmates.

• Advertisement

Just because you keep repeating something it doesnt make it true...

Ireland has a high standard of living because irish people are generally hard working honest people..... it has little to do with mass immigration.....

If immigration is so good why are the multicultural areas of cities infamous for being crime hotspots?

Ireland has a high standard of living because irish people are generally hard working honest people..... it has little to do with mass immigration.....

Ireland has a high standard of living because Irish people pay for it. I think Bubbly and others should take some time to compare Irish taxation/fees/rates with that of other countries.

If all or most immigration related to high skilled workers, earning good salaries, then there wouldn't be much of an issue... but they're not. Low skilled workers contribute very little in direct taxation, and tend to need more supports from the State (as higher paid people tend to go private for most services needed)

Maybe they should stand outside or even enter a social welfare office and they'll soon realise than more than 50% of the people coming and going are non EU(ie they couldn't even be mistaken for Irish like say some EU could).

That's not to mention the proportion of EU citizens that could be mistaken without hearing them speak etc, but to just observe you'll see well over 50%.

If immigration is so bad for the country then why is our standard of living so high?

See, just cos you keep repeating something doesn't make it correct either.

Anyone wanting to come into the country to work, pay tax and contribute to society should be welcomed.

Anyone not an Irish citizen claiming social welfare and benefits and not working should be shipped out. Anyone not an Irish citizen found guilty of a crime shipped out or serve a sentence then get shipped out.

That's how I think multiculturalism will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

But what's a citizen anymore.

It is defined in law.

Irish nationality and citizenship acts, 1956-2004 and in our constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Standard of living is based upon overall living standards at a national level. Hospital waiting lists, housing, education and immigration and government policies with regard to the provision of public services would certainly form part of that assessment, but the point would be how they contribute to an overall standard of living at a national level, as opposed to your idea of cherry picking what are issues for you personally.

Ireland has a high standard of living because of our Government’s policies. It’s not based upon what anyone does or doesn’t pay in personal taxation, regardless of their citizenship or employment status.

Regardless of their citizenship or immigration status, people who need State supports are either entitled to it, or they’re not. If we were to look at the figures as they relate to social class, people with higher social status tend to be married couples who have more children, and people with lower social status tend to be cohabiting couples with less children -

Families by social class

The social class structure of couples varied according to whether they were married or cohabiting, and whether or not they had children as can be seen in Figure 2.5.

For married couples, those with children tended to belong to the higher social classes. 57 per cent of these families belonged to the higher classes (1 to 3), compared with 50.9 per cent of married couples without children.

The opposite pattern emerges for cohabiting couples. Those without children are much more likely to belong to social classes 1 to 3 (66.1%), while 44.8 per cent of cohabiting couples with children belong to these groups.

Families with higher social status receive more support from the State, and they’re also in a position to better avail of more support from the State, certainly a better position than many immigrants who are entitled to receive support from the State, or avail of public services, but are limited by factors such as being unfamiliar with their rights, unfamiliar with services available to them, the language barrier and just plain old discrimination and prejudice they experience in Irish society with regards to their participation in Irish society.

Discrimination isn’t unique to immigrants of course, Irish people experience discrimination too, sometimes on the basis of their perceived immigration status by other people, but more times discrimination they experience is motivated by different factors related to their social status in Irish society -

• Just over half (51.5%) of women aged 15 years and over were in the labour force (at work or unemployed) in 2016, a slight increase on the proportion from 2006 of 50.2%.
    • The proportion of men in the labour force over the same time period dropped from 72.7% to 67.8%.
    • More than half (54.5%) of those who were at work in 2016 were men while over two-thirds (67.5%) of people who were unemployed were men
    • Nearly all of the people (98%) who were looking after home or family in 2016 were women although the number of men in this grouping nearly doubled in the ten years up to 2016, rising from 4,900 to 9,200.

• More than nine out of ten lone parents were women in 2016 and this proportion has remained stable over the period 2006 to 2016.
    • The number of women living as lone parents increased by 14.6% from 115,600 to 132,500 between 2006 and 2016.
    • The number of men living as lone parents rose by more than a quarter (27.7%) from 10,100 in 2006 to 12,900 by 2016.
    • The vast majority (98.9%) of the 40,317 persons in receipt of one-parent family payments in 2016 were women.
    • Just under one in five (18.6%) of the women receiving the one-parent family payment was aged under 25 years.

Well you’re just pulling figures out of your arse mate. Notwithstanding the fact that there is no way I could tell anyones immigration or citizenship status from where I’d be standing, some social welfare offices are busier than others, and there are busier days than others, and I would still have no idea what they’re actually there for, because the social welfare offices provide more services than just signing on for unemployment benefit or means tested assistance.

It wouldn’t make any difference in any case because I don’t care who is or isn’t entitled to welfare or what nationality they are or what supports they need from the State. You’ll wreck your brain trying to police individuals at that level. That’s like… extreme curtain twitching or something! Have you nothing better to be doing than standing outside your local welfare office keeping tabs on peoples comings and goings? 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Listening to The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray at the moment. Very interesting and eye-opening. Mad how Ireland is still full steam ahead, with amnesties etc whilst learning nothing about whats happened in other EU countries in the past. Even Mama Merkel has stated that multiculturalism has failed.

Interesting to hear how the author of The Camp of the Saints, a book about 1 million migrants landing in France by boat, was castigated when it was released as right wing propaganda (Kirkus Reviews compared the novel to Mein Kampf. In 1983, Linda Chavez called the novel "a sickening book", describing it as "racist, xenophobic and paranoid."), yet it turned out he was correct apart from vastly underestimating the number who would arrive.

Thankfully, once people realised he was correct, H eWilliam F. Buckley  praised the book in 2004 as "a great novel" that raised questions on how to respond to massive illegal immigration,[28] and in 2014, Mackubin Thomas Owens noted Buckley's praise of it, while remarking that "Raspail was ahead of his time in demonstrating that Western civilization had lost its sense of purpose and history—its 'exceptionalism'." In 2005, the conservative Chilton Williamson praised the book as "one of the most uncompromising works of literary reaction in the 20th century."

The book returned to the bestseller list, ranking in the top 5 in bookstores in France in March 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah we are such a great country that you now have parents protesting outside their local schools because they can't get their kids into them.

And no they are now some fancy school but basic schools that simply do not have the room, facilities or teachers to cope with the increased population, be it homegrown or immigrant.

Go to a meeting regarding the building of a new school and count just how many immigrants (legal and probably illegal ones) are there trying to ensure

their kids get a school place in a year or maybe two or three years time.

How the fook someone can claim increased population included increased immigrant population does not put pressure on facilities and services is fooking beyond me.

And illegal immigrants and asylum seekers without any means to support themselves obviously put a greater pressure on social services, public services and ultimately the taxpayer.

A couple of years back I attended a course in a Dublin hotel.

Getting their early to avoid traffic I decided to have breakfast.

At breakfast it was quite obvious that the hotel was used to house people as there were numerous kids in school uniforms.

And a fair few of these families were non Irish and non EU.

Who the fook pays for their accommodation but the Irish taxpayers, be they Irish or non Irish.

Ah yes once again lets conflate legal VISA approved immigrants coming for employment reasons with a bunch of lads lifted from Calais or a boat in the Med or a bunch that got off a flight from Lagos. 🙄

Immigrants coming here to work, especially in areas where we have skill shortages are contributing economically to the country and probably are educated enough not be a drain on any resources but a contributor.

You know damn well that if we just look at your adopted pet project (illegal migrants, asylum seekers, etc) in isolation it will point out what a drain on resources they really are.

BTW making DP centre hotel owners rich is not contributing to society.

I am not allowed discuss …

'And illegal immigrants without any means to support themselves obviously put a greater pressure on social services, public services and ultimately the taxpayer.'

How exactly?

Like many other countries like the UK when we cop ourselves on to what is happening our country it will be to late. To many people ostracized and called racist for saying it as it is.

Riddle me, riddle me, riddle me this.

As in the past someone turns up at Dublin airport and claims asylum.

What happens then?

Someone sneaks onto a truck in Cherbourg and ends up in Rosslare.

What happens then?

Someone is in UK illegally and then comes across to Ireland.

What happens then?

Do these all get immediately sent home?

Do they get jobs like those VISA enabled immigrants as doctors and nurses in the HSE or get jobs as developers with Microsoft and then start buying their food in M&S whilst renting gaffs in Rathmines or suppose more correctly nowadays Custom House Square ?

Do they all disappear and get jobs in the black economy ?

Do these people pay for their own healthcare, their own English language courses, etc ?

And if they don't pay for sh** then who does ?

I am really interested because I would like to know who funds those DP centres or do they magically fund themselves?

Or are you a sinn fein/PBP supporter that believes in magic money trees.

Asylum seekers are not illegal immigrants.

Since the case N.V.H. v Minister for Justice & Equality [2017] IESC 35, asylum seekers are allowed to work.

It comes as no surprise whatsoever that you would find the opinions of people who agree with your own opinions “very interesting and interesting” 😏

However, you’re taking what happened with Mama Merkel out of context. She said it 10 years ago, before 2015, when she was hoping to be re-elected at the time -

Since then, Ursula von der Leyen has gone on to become EU Commission President, and she is of the same opinion now as she was then -

And a book that made the bestseller list in France again 10 years ago, has nothing to do with the recently elected by Germans in 2021, ousting Merkel’s CDU party from Government, and their proposed policies on immigration -

• Advertisement

Ah yes lets play with the terminology to hide the stats that would make for uncomfortable reading for the plebs paying for it. 🙄

So when is an illegal immigrant an illegal immigrant ?

Surely if I turn up without a VISA, then I am an illegal immigrant until I can prove my case and get approved asylum ?

So lets change the question then,

Are asylum seekers not costing the taxpayers lots of money and taking up valuable limited public resources and services ?

You said illegal immigrants cost a lot of money in social services, have you changed your mind now?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

Mass immigration as the potential to **** things up, but to be fair to Ireland, so far, that has not happened - least not in most areas - we all know the undeniable fact that at least two areas in North Co Dublin have got worse (they were not always great in the first place) .

The Irish in general , we have tolerated or least accepted the people who came in , with their "cock n bull stories" (Great line by McDowell and the Asylum stats in Ireland and the rest of the EU confirm that) We got over the fact that they were here for good and excepted them to integrate. Most have, in away. The EU gang are / were grand - we have got lucky , so far , and it was not by any grand design .

There has been a total bullshit argument from many who waffled about X nationals doing the jobs that the Irish did not want. I could never take them seriously

Most of those jobs were NEW ADDITIONAL jobs, mostly in catering and services - created during the boom years, due to more demand as the Irish (and other nationals) had more DISPOSABLE income due to work (and loads of loans and spending beyond one's means)

When the economy went to the shitter, those jobs were the first to go.

Considering that the majority of the Irish were either (a) in full time employment or (b) Full time - part time education...........where were they going to get time to take up these jobs? Heaven forbid that people with qualifications for something better than minimum wage jobs would decide that it was not worth taking these jobs on in addition to the job they have.

Even better was the bs by claiming as if these migrants were doing us a favour. No, they were getting paid to work , which in turn meant they could stay here for better opportunities than what they could get back home (I acknowledge that the work conditions were crap for many , especially the poor sods who got trapped under the work permit system)

Someone mentioned the high waiting lists for hospitals and houses - Those were ALWAYS HIGH in Ireland. Housing has been an issues that Plagued the governments of the 1930-1940s.

Yes, house is going to continue to be a huge problem , even for the guy who earns 25-40 k because they have **** all chance buying their own home - the abandonment of the Social housing/council housing schemes of the 1970-1980s where one could pay the council a "rent" which would go into paying off the house in 10-20 years was a terrible idea (We don't need be fancy houses and some of those ex council houses were built well)

You head down to rural areas - schools are over crowded and barely a foreigner inside them.......so can not blame immigrants for that

This however, is going to put pressure on housing and welfare schemes (I do not doubt that immigrants intentionally try to be unemployed - far from it - but not all of them will or can work)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/permission_to_remain_for_undocumented_noneea_nationals_in_ireland.html

https://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR21000292

Most of these guys are

(a) Failed asylum seekers, whose cases were so weak that they did not get leave to remain and are from safe countries

(b) "Students" who spent years in mickey mouse courses (if they bothered to attend at all) and over stayed

(c) People who already have deportation orders but never left

(d) people who got into Ireland and residency based on dodgy marriages and got caught out

Most of these guys could lawfully have been deported. But the government could not nor where they will to pay for the planes (very expensive and often not full) nor had they the stone to do it .

They claim that it will only be about 17,000 eligible. Wishful thinking

There has been a total bullshit argument from many who waffled about X nationals doing the jobs that the Irish did not want. I could never take them seriously

To be fair, that point was only ever raised in response to the total bullshìt argument that immigrants were taking jobs from Irish people, or that Irish people couldn’t get jobs because of immigrants.

The standard of living would be even higher if immigration was selectively reduced....

If immigration is good for a country (as you have constantly said) should we not be charitable and insist immigrants go to poor countries?

Pakistan is a poor country. Should we not be charitable and send our immigrants there? Boost the standard of living in Pakistan?

You argue on semantics because that is the only argument you got.

Non visa non EU immigrants i.e. people that enter our country (whatever the fook you want to label them) in the end costs us money.

I suppose it makes a difference to the argument that these people and the multiculturism they bring is good for our taste buds. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

OK, Nwankwo from Nigeria attempts to claim asylum in UK. He is turned down as he is in no danger in Nigeria. He decides to get the ferry to Belfast and a bus to Dublin. He is here illegally.

On his first night in Dublin, Nwankwo falls ill, he speaks to another illegal immigrant who points him in the direction of mcri.ie, who tell you "Yes you can get healthcare and medical treatment. Check out healthconnect.ie to see what’s available in your local area. In Dublin, you can also access a free medical check up through the Capuchin Day Centre or Safetynet." Who pays the doctors?

Now Nwankwo has 2 kids, aged 8 and 12, he wants them to get an education, but he's here illegally, anything he can do? Lets check mcri.ie again, "Undocumented children can access primary and secondary school free of charge. The principal will probably ask for a PPS number but they cannot deny access to your child. Unfortunately when they go on to access university the same large fees apply to them as undocumented adults." - So they can take up school resources and places. Who pays the teachers?

Now Nwankwo needs a place to stay, mcri.ie? "Wherever you are in Ireland, Focus can help you. In Dublin, the Capuchin Centre can provide free food and a health check up. You can also access Dublin City Council Homeless Section and Central Placement Service at Parkgate Hall, 6-9 Conyngham Road, Dublin 8." Who is paying for these NGO's and Council Services and is there infinite space in them?

Nwankwo would like some spending money, mcri.ie again "We find the best way to find work is to build connections with other undocumented people. They can share information with you on safe employers and jobs available. Get involved with Justice for the Undocumented (JFU) and we can put you in touch with other undocumented people – email jfu@mrci.ie, it’s safe and confidential. Some undocumented people also risk using Gumtree and other job sites but if doing this you need to be careful with the employer and sharing your status." - No PPS, NO Tax contributions

Yeah absolutely no pressure on social services, public services, or the taxpayer. Your waffle is yet again shown to be absolute nonsense with no basis in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Saving lives at sea says Ursula. Seems more like a taxi service that runs like a well oiled machine day in day out....if the EU had any interest in stopping illegal migration it would ban NGO boats,sanction them and arrest the crews for people trafficking

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I've a cousin who's a teacher of young children of mixed nationalities,they have to wear a card around their neck and point to things like toilet, bottle of water etc to see what the children want as they've no English, she's told me some of the parents get very irate asking them why their kids aren't learning English quick enough and she asks them do you speak English at home? The answer is usually no...

• Advertisement

So to sum up, irish people work hard and make their country a success. People from poor violent countries turn up and demand to be let in. These new irish have the same mindsets that made their home countries poor and violent.

Irish people are meant to rejoice at ireland turning into a colder and wetter version of the failed countries that the new irish come from?

Anyone that doesnt rejoice is a racist.

Advertisement