Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Refuted by whom?

Also, neither the handbook nor the other links were reuted by anyone for at least two pages after them. I never saw the governments secret act mentioned in any of those posts.

You can stand by what you want, but you are wrong.

I don't know what or who the gang of ten means or are, nor do I care, they can refute or claim what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I have refuted the claim that this was in breach of s4 or s5 of the OSA 1963 as amended. If you can advise which other act this may be in breach of I can take a look at those. I can't think of any myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I had no idea there was a gang of ten here doing what they did. In fact I only read about them today when I was reading through this thread.

Getting back to what Leo did or didn't here is the link to the cabinet handbook which has been mentioned a lot. https://assets.gov.ie/6813/2a580791a7b24decb97a550539a0faff.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What they did was wrong but I had no idea it was happening. In fact I never knew about the sock puppets thread

I will not deny what they did was wrong and I did not know what they had done. I took sometime away from here and I come back to finding out we had our own version of Eoghan Harris on here.

If you choose not to believe me so be it but I know my conscience is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, and there is nothing in that to say that Varadkar broke any rule, let alone a law.

section 1.5 refers to Government documents. By virtue of it being an agreement with another party, it was not a government document.

Finally, nobody has spotted the obvious flaw in the Leo-haters argument. What if it was the CEO of the IMO who gave the document to the NAGP? What offence would he have committed? And how is that different to Leo?

Derp.

I meant who of relevance refuted it. Not an anon on boards or the gang of ten whatever nonsense. I mean where has it been refuted that what Leo did was illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

What constitutes a government document? Would it be a confidential negotiation contract between the government and a union albeit unpublished, invited to private talks?

Your, what if, is no missed flaw in what was. By 'Leo haters' do you mean people who like their politicians held to account?

If the IMO CEO did so, without the permission of government I would consider that a breach of trust.

As regards Varadkar, he was not a party to that confidential negotiation and had no business passing it without the consent of both parties, the government and IMO. Also, he passed it to a friend, the head of a rival union who both the IMO and government did not want involved.

Thats how its different.

Did you read any further than 1.5?

So you think that Leo got the document from the IMO, and then he decided to leak it? 🤨

For the record, it wouldn't have mattered where he got it from it was still confidential and was to be treated that way.

But you're an anon on boards repeating everything adnauseum...

Self awareness is very lacking in these threads

Deliberately

• Advertisement

Believe your own eyes, put your bias aside:

s4. —(1) A person shall not communicate any official information to any other person unless he is duly authorised to do so or does so in the course of and in accordance with his duties as the holder of a public office or when it is his duty in the interest of the State to communicate it.

The next question is: was it "official information"

s2. — “official information” means any secret official code word or password, and any sketch, plan, model, article, note, document or information which is secret or confidential or is expressed to be either and which is or has been in the possession, custody or control of a holder of a public office, or to which he has or had access, by virtue of his office, and includes information recorded by film or magnetic tape or by any other recording medium;

I think it could come under that section.

So then we have to ask: was the disclosure "duly authorised"

s4. — (4) In this section “ duly authorised” means authorised by a Minister or State authority or by some person authorised in that behalf by a Minister or State authority.

and "Minister" means

s2. —“Minister” means a member of the Government;

I think we agree that at that point in time Leo was a "Minister" and therefore could authorize disclosure.

Now on to s5 which deals with contracts

s5.—(1) A person who is or has been—

(a) a party to a contract with a Minister or State authority or with any person on behalf of a Minister or State authority, or

(b) employed by such party,

shall not communicate to any third party any information relating to the contract and expressed therein to be confidential.

Leo was not a party to this contract nor was he employed by anyone who was a party to the contract. Therefore he is not covered by this section.

The word contract is not defined so we don't know if a draft contract is covered by that definition.

Even if there was some argument (by biased people) that he was covered by this section somehow, s51(2) Freedom of Information Act 2014 amends the Official Secrets Act 1963 by adding

(2) In a prosecution for an offence under section 5 or 9 of that Act, it shall be a defence to prove that the act to which the charge of the offence relates is authorised, or is reasonably believed by the person charged to be authorised, by this Act.

It is beyond doubt that Leo as head of government reasonably believed he was authorised to disclose the document.

No, that doesn't constitute a government document, as it is a document shared with others.

Laughable response.

Well, you are wrong, as has been explained many many times on this thread.

Apologies misread your post, your conclusion is correct. However, I do not believe it was necessarily official information.

It wasn't a confidential government document because the IMO had it and was sharing it with others in the IMO!!!

It's crazy. The gang of ten are gone, but their influence lives on, as the lies that they peddled are repeated ad nauseum.

Sorry, misread your post, you are correct. Will delete accordingly.

I think he's being sarcastic

Theres little other way to deal with the repetition muppetry

People repeatedly saying stuff the equivalent of a Taoiseach isn't head of government means he isn't head of government

People repeatedly saying he apologised for breaking the law when he didn't, he just apologised for not using best practice..

That type of thing repeated adnauseum disingenuously walking and quacking like the duck lies that they are

I agree that it's not clear it was a confidential document but for the purposes of the post I said it could be as there is a reasonable argument to be made and allowed me to continue my analysis.

Ok, yes, it is reasonable to assume it was a confidential document for the purposes of then exposing how shallow the argument that he broke the OSA is.

What is completely astonishing is that this was explained very quickly at the start of the thread that there was no issue around the OSA. In fact, some of the now banned posters moved on to focus on the corruption legislation. If you go back, I think a photograph of someone campaigning with Leo was the extent of the benefit that he supposedly got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

It's very clear it was a confidential document, the document itself had confidential watermarked throughout, NAGP were not entitled to review the document. An Irish official who uses confidential information obtained in the course of his or her office, employment, position or business for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for himself or herself or for any other person shall be guilty of an offence. Section 7 (2) of the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018 

If it wasn't a confidential document, I assume Varadkar would have pursued his case with The Village for libel, yet he did not pursue the case.

The issue is, all we have is a few images and text messages from Chay Bowes allegedly from Maitiú Ó’Tuathail, which is not itself proof of any wrongdoing having occurred. Another issue is that this information was sat on for over a year, I think it's important to also question why it took so long to release evidence that was already at hand as far back as April '19.

I think it's fairly obvious to most what has happened here but the Gardai have no interest in actually investigating wrongdoing from politicians. The fact that the investigation is still dragging on is outrageous.

My gut feeling is that nothing will come from this and the investigation will be closed before he's due to re-take office.

I agree that nothing will come of it and I wanted you know the reasons why instead of saying that it's corruption.

You may disagree with what he did and they way that he did it, but it's not illegal and when the DPP decides not to prosecute you can't say you don't know why.

When you say 'bias', I'm sure you mean opinion.

While your interpretation of the law in these circumstances, sides with Leo, mine does not.

Using your own examples.

s4. —(1) A person shall not communicate any official information to any other person unless he is duly authorised to do so or does so in the course of and in accordance with his duties as the holder of a public office or when it is his duty in the interest of the State to communicate it.

First. You are forgetting how Leo obtained the document. No official procedures were followed, so the following chain of events are at the very least, suspect, and subject to scrutiny. Also, Leo was not involved in the talks, nor was he acting *in accordance* with his duties nor was it in the interest of the State to leak it at that time.

The next question is: was it "official information"

s2. — “official information” means any secret official code word or password, and any sketch, plan, model, article, note, document or information which is secret or confidential or is expressed to be either and which is or has been in the possession, custody or control of a holder of a public office, or to which he has or had access, by virtue of his office, and includes information recorded by film or magnetic tape or by any other recording medium;

I think it could come under that section.

So then we have to ask: was the disclosure "duly authorised"

s4. — (4) In this section “ duly authorised” means authorised by a Minister or State authority or by some person authorised in that behalf by a Minister or State authority.

and "Minister" means

s2. —“Minister” means a member of the Government;

I think we agree that at that point in time Leo was a "Minister" and therefore could authorize disclosure.

No, we do not agree with your interpretation here. "A Minister" does not mean "Any Minister"

"Duly Authorised" in this instance would mean the head of the relevant department signing the release, and using the correct procedures, which did not happen.

The Taoiseach (Leo at the time) could not authorise himself to release any documents as he see's fit, without following the correct procedures.

If he could have, he wouldn't have needed to go about it the way that he did, he would have just walked into the department of Health, demanded to see the document, then signed it's release and walked out with it.

It is ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

You then go on to s5, which mentions

Now on to s5 which deals with contracts

s5.—(1) A person who is or has been—

(a) a party to a contract with a Minister or State authority or with any person on behalf of a Minister or State authority, or

(b) employed by such party,

shall not communicate to any third party any information relating to the contract and expressed therein to be confidential.

Leo was not a party to this contract nor was he employed by anyone who was a party to the contract. Therefore he is not covered by this section.

Now go back to s4.

We already know he was not authorised to do so, so now all that remains is "if it was in the course of his duty", and you have just acknowledged above, that it was not, as he was not party to this contract etc. Nor was it in States best interest at the time.

The word contract is not defined so we don't know if a draft contract is covered by that definition.

Even if there was some argument (by biased people) that he was covered by this section somehow, s51(2) Freedom of Information Act 2014 amends the Official Secrets Act 1963 by adding

(2) In a prosecution for an offence under section 5 or 9 of that Act, it shall be a defence to prove that the act to which the charge of the offence relates is authorised, or is reasonably believed by the person charged to be authorised, by this Act.

It is beyond doubt that Leo as head of government reasonably believed he was authorised to disclose the document.

There you go again with the word Biased, and then continue to post your interpretation of the law and even go as far to suggest that something is "Beyond doubt"..

If you are unsure about how the laws are to be interpreted, maybe you should consult the handbook. I won't repost the whole lot, but just this part should cover much of it,

2.21 Safekeeping of Government Memoranda

Documents (in paper or electronic or any other form) relating to

meetings of the Government and any drafts of same, from whatever

source they are received, are strictly confidential and as such should

receive restricted Departmental circulation.

2.22 Each Minister should ensure that a system operates which restricts

access to and circulation of Government documents in his/her

Department to defined persons and, in consultation with management

in the Department, that definite procedures and controls, as may be

appropriate to the circumstances, are implemented.

It was a confidential document. A draft agreement is considered a confidential document and must be marked as such when it is being worked on.

Suckit.. your analysis falls at the first hurdle

He was entitled to have the document and entitled as head of government regardless of where he got the physical copy

I'm sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

IF the texts released are correct then it was most definitely illegal. DPP can not decide to send a case forward for several reasons. The issue is you can't prove anything from an image of a text message.

What is in no-doubt, is the disturbing numbers of FF and FG members defending alleged cronyism, and then wondering why they will be scrambling for numbers at the next election. It's actually sickening reading the gaslighting by Fine Gael members on this very topic.

"the party of law and order" 🤣

Laughable, really? I wasn't sure. I asked. You failed to explain what constitutes a government document.

It was only for sharing with the two parties, IMO and the department of health.

Who did he inform? He knew it was not for the NAGP as per government wishes.

He wouldn't have slipped it to his friend it it was above board.

• Advertisement

Was it the photo of o'toole after Varadkar said they weren't friends and only met a few times?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement