Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sony lost their chance in VR and just dont realize it. Microsoft is mostly the same, their mixed reality platform is dead too. Valve knows they lost their chance, it's why they've gone quiet on vr and all about the steamdeck atm. Oculus with the quest 2 has thrown such a perfect best of both worlds pitch with the quest 2 that it makes easy converts on all sides of the debate. It would be better for either company just to cut a deal with meta and get xbox or playstation support for the quest 2 rather then investing in a vr headset of their own.

Yeah that makes sense alright. Of course companies don't often behave based on common sense! 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony using a non proprietary peripheral? Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm holding out for a Sony/Valve partnership.

Hololens is not dead, its just not consumer ready yet but it will definitely be part of microsofts Metaverse in 10 years time.

VR has not even hit its mvp yet (minimum viable product), anyone with a VR headset right now (myself included) is basically on a prototype. The consensus being that VR needs to reach 8k resolution per eye in a consumer priced product.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Promising from a COD point of view. Still think that the main COD games will go exclusive, while Warzone (or whatever FTP title comes after) stays available on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,615 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Existing contracts means little to anyone that doesn't know what those contracts are... So all of us.

Call of Duty could still just mean warzone.

Overwatch not mentioned.

Still, that multiplatform future is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Existing contracts - Sony has the CoD shared marketing deal so that's no surprise.

"Our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation" is more ambiguous and sounds like a move to get Game Pass on there.

I don't know why people are saying GP will be one PS, I just can't see that happening. Just like I don't imagine Spartacus will ever be available on Xbox (natively).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I wouldn't be surprised if they'll keep it on PlayStation as is, retailing at full price with it being on GamePass where it will launch earlier with some exclusive features.

Also, Sony could already have a deal in place with Activision that runs for years so might not even be an issue for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can see a lesser version of it (such as Xbox-only games) some day coming to PlayStation, but probably not the full version. For example, when Hades was released last year, why buy it on PS5 if you're getting it free on Gamepass on your PS5? Why pay for the higher tiers of whatever revised PS+ they're coming out with if many of those games are on Gamepass too?

Sony need to build up and push people towards their own version of GP (PS+++ or Spartacus or whatever).

They've already said it won't be able to compete with GP due to the day 1 games not being feasible for Sony, MS have the money to throw at that, so it'll never compete imo. Just a natural progression to merging the current services into 1. Yeah, maybe GP pushed this forward a bit, but I've been expecting this to happen since Now/Plus became mainstays.

And one reason for me, alone, to pick PS5 version over XSX version is the DualSense. Yes, not everyone gets the same joy from it I do, but I far, far prefer the DualSense to the Xbox controller. Playing FH5 for a good while last night, and my right middle finger was getting sore from holding down the thin triggers (genuine), compared to the DS's thicker, flatter triggers. And haptics>rumble. Again, not everyone appreciates those features, but I do, and I love them. Maybe 10 years ago GP would have been the more viable option for me, but I just prefer gaming on the PS5, as I'd imagine there are a lot out there like me.

I can see it now, Sony will be the Apple to Microsofts... Microsoft. /NotSerious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

As someone who doesn't care at all about COD anymore (like most people I loved it years ago) I think it going exclusive whenever the current contract expires would be a good thing. It would be a major blow to Sony not having that FPS to rely on and they would need to finally back one of their own studios to make something to fill the void left. I'd love another SOCOM for starters.

COD is one of the worst things about gaming right now if you're an FPS fan. It's a cash cow for both MS and Sony which curbs any desire either company has to invest money into the development of a decent alternative because there is no need to. I still play BF4 due to this and that game is going on 9 years old now.

That is the way I hope it plays out anyway 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Phil Spencer is a decent guy that actually does think of gaming as an industry worth protecting. He has been pushing for more collaboration and less walled gardens for a while but Nintendo and Sony are not as interested.

What is much more likely to happen is that COD goes into a two year cycle and the other studios that have all been forced to work on COD get a chance to start looking at back catalogue games to reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's no different to the 360 days, when Sony would push for it when they had more to gain than lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Poor Phil, all he wants to do is make all the gamers happy but those Nintendo and Sony meanies won't let him.

It's gas how some people think their team is the virtuous one, not the pitiless corporations they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Having Phil Spencer as a nice guy personality is great for the Xbox brand and takes away that soulless corporation vibe. It doesn't detract from the fact that the bottom line is profitability/share value and everyone at the top of any of the gaming corporations would eat their own mother if it helped bump up the share price. We're not gamers to these people, we're entities that need to be exploited for maximum profit.

Sure even Nintendo abused power, back when they had a near total dominant market position with the NES. If they had that power again, they'd do the same thing.

Corporations are corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Comes across as a nice guy alright but anything he does isn’t for the good of gaming, it’s for the good of Microsoft.

How the new studios are managed as Xbox studios are another big question mark for me. They have struggled at creating creating a good catalog of new/well received games over the last few years, will that change with these new studios?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,615 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I actually do think this deal, as of right now, is less interesting than the bethesda deal - I'm more excited about Dishonoured, Doom, Wolfenstein, ES, Fallout, Starfield, Deathloop 2, Redfall etc and see them as more interesting than CoD or Overwatch, which are really the only two AB console games that are worth caring about at the moment, in terms of the hugeness of this deal.

For this deal to become a real interesting one from a gaming perspective and my own perspective, I will be looking forward to the other titles we get from this.

A new Crash Bandicoot or Spyro title could be interesting (and amusing)

New titles in the Tony Hawks, Tenchu or True Crime series' would be really interesting to see.

But beyond that it would be what can the various studios do if MS gives them more freedom to create titles rather than being focused on titles that can be exploited on a yearly basis as AB seemingly was focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's the thing, if MS allow the different teams within Activision to split up a bit and make use of the amazing list of franchises Activision has, rather than how so many of the teams were just made to support CoD development over the last few years, then it could be a great thing. But for the most of what Activision have been putting out the last few years, there's little that interests me. I enjoyed Crash 4 and THPS Remake, but other than that there's been next to nothing. Even Sekiro was a From Software game and just published by Activision, rather than one of their own games.

Edit: Jesus, I just checked and I think the last Call of Duty game I played was Modern Warfare 3 in 2011. I think I moved on to Battlefield for a few years after that. Crazy, I wouldn't have thought it was that long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought a sonic game on a Nintendo platform was even more far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Saw this image going around Twitter. It's crazy amount of studios Microsoft have now

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Realistically, where does Sony go from here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's really not the end of the world for Sony, I think people are over egging that somewhat. They've still an amazing console with an amazing line up of studios creating amazing games. They're very likely to keep at least the Free to Play version of COD on their systems, which will be good enough for most players.

So overall, it's not a major problem right now, but if the wave of consolidation that sweeping the industry continues, then they may eventually have a problem. If Google, Amazon, or Tencent start snapping up publishers like EA or Ubisoft, then their problems will grow very large very quickly. They simply don't have the financial firepower to compete if this starts happening, either to buy as many studios as they'd need, or to grow studios organically. That's not even talking about the issue with Cloud gaming, as that's ridiculously hard to scale.

If that consolidation does continue, then either they make a risky bet on the future of the company, like leveraging themselves to buyout a bug publisher, or partner up with one of the new crowd, i.e. The Sony Amazon PS6.

tl;dr

Sony are fine for now, but I'd prefer if the consolidation of the industry would stop now, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t really think it changes all that much right now. They’ll still focus on first party content, PSVR2 and they’ll merge PS+ and Now into a single entity, maybe adding a lot of historic PlayStation classics onto it. They’ll still have a lot of support from Japanese studios too.

If MS continue their spending spree however they could be in real trouble. Whatever about CoD, if MS bought EA it would be a massive blow. However. FIFA makes billions of its own through FUT and that’s one of many franchises, so you’d imagine they’d cost several tens of billions more, and it would really set anti trust alarm bells off. So it’s unrealistic, just feels less unrealistic since this deal has gone through.

If I was Phil and wanted to continue spending though, maybe something like Altus if it were possible. Really strong back catalog for game pass and would certainly help in the Japanese market.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't Psychonauts 2 on Playstation the inferior version? Or at least it was at launch from what I read. Maybe it'll just be XBox and PC patches are prioritised over Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd love to see Call of Duty drop the annual release.

I hadn't played CoD for ages, but word of mouth on the 2019 Modern Warfare and the whole enforced staying at home, had me curious.

Turns out it was a damn near perfect game, and warzone got myself and the lads back playing nightly for the first time in years. Of course, that all feel asunder with the release of Cold War and Vanguard. MW 2019 would have had great staying power, and could easily have been supported for 3 years or more. Activision sacrificed all their smaller studios to service the Cod juggernaut and its annual releases.

• Advertisement

It's the inferior version in that it's not on playstation.

Advertisement