Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this be true of B of I?

Options
  • 21-01-2022 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I’ve just queried a delay in taking action to close an account in another bank and move my business to B of I. I’ve been told by an official that all post addressed to Bank of Ireland branches through the country is automatically diverted by An Post to a B of I office in Dublin from where it is couriered to the relevant branch.

It appears this system has resulted in a document most likely received in Dublin on Monday 17 January not being received in South Donegal until today, Friday 21 January.

B of I offers a fax service, but honestly, fax users are in a minority in 2022.

It seems to be a personal staff choice if a customer can be given (do they mean trusted with?) an email address if you need to send correspondence, otherwise with lunchtime closing, centralised (press this button for that service) phone communications and a contact option which may result in a reply in a minimum of 2 working days, banking has become a faceless, technology driven venture. What a pity we humans have to use it!

How sad.

Comments

Banks used to have their own internal postal system, not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

Removing the post from the general circulation, if done correctly, would enhance the service for B of I. Imagine not having to wait for that postman that has to drop off at 10 points before making it to your branch? If it is true I'm sure that's what they were/are aiming for.

In general, banking should be mostly automated in my opinion. Loans, account creation, balance checking... if you remove the middle man then the process can be made quicker and smoother. Granted, as a result, it lacks the social aspect that seems to resonate well with people over 30. However, the future of banking is and should be focused on the next generation and we don't want faces. I want efficiency and a lack of having to wait in a queue for 40 mins for one of the few services that can't be done online.

I will caveat this by saying that in its current state the online ecosystem is an extremely steep learning curve for older people. This is something that needs to be dealt with. Technology should be an improvement for all, not just the 'young and trendy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

An Post are quite capable of delivering things next day or the day after. The OP stated that the Bank delayed his document for a week.

There is no need for the patronising comments, the online system has a steep learning curve because it isn't very good and imposes a lot of faffing about for business that was previously easy to conduct. People do not want a "social aspect" from their bank they want to be able to conduct business easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pjry

No, I didn’t say the bank delayed the document by a week because that implies some sort of deliberate action at the Bank.

A document, probably received on Monday, took until Friday to reach South Donegal - a 2.5 to 3 hour car journey, any day of the week, not a 4-day transit time. This is the way it is - a daft way of doing business I agree, the delay is inexplicable - but it’s the way I’ve experienced it. I suppose I should be grateful that the documents weren’t part of a big financial deal needing urgent attention!

Automation is fine ….. when it works! I have no problem with it when it does.

I bemoan the retreat of the banks to principally button punching automated responses when simple and user-friendly solutions are just as easily provided if there’s a little forethought of what the customer needs & not what the bank is prepared to provide (Realistically, does anyone still use a fax? What’s amiss with providing an info.ballybofey@bofi.com email address for example directly into the Ballybofey bank branch?)

I have now been told that a letter addressed to “Front Office”, Bank of Ireland, ……. will be delivered directly to the branch (and I’m presuming they open such correspondence at the branch and deal with it, rather than sending it off by courier to Dublin to have it returned to them) by An Post, and will not be forwarded to Dublin to be returned to the branch by courier. I’ve asked the Bank to publicise that on their website etc but I wouldn’t expect much progress on that issue, to be realistic.

Don’t want to flog this to death but having thought of the advice I was given by the bank last evening to mark post *Front Office* at the particular branch as opposed to ”Manager” or something else to ensure it’s not forwarded by An Post to Dublin for return via bank’s courier to the branch…… that seems to me now to be as daft as the notion it took 4 days to get a letter via their system from Dublin to Donegal. Is An Post really that attentive to the addressing of letters apart from the town, county or eircode?

Should I have this sense I’m being given “excuse #43 of 159 ready made excuses for every occasion”?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. There are a number of ways you can contact Bank of Ireland. I have attached a link here with more information on this.

Thanks, Aisling

Aha - a response, but I don’t sense either understanding of the issue or a solution to the problem.

Anyway, in the interim period I’ve had some contact from the branch in question. It now appears that An Post redirects ALL post addressed to Bank of Ireland branches, nationwide (there’s a vague possibility that something marked Private and Confidential and addressed to a specific individual at a branch can go directly to the branch, but don’t take that as confirmed) to a bank office in Dublin. The mail is then opened and actioned there. Items marked “Front Office”, “Manager” etc are not (apparently) opened in Dublin but are dispatched to the branch using a courier/delivery service. If when opened at the branch they must be worked on in Dublin then it seems they are re-dispatched to Dublin from the branch

I do think that B of I could update their contact info by setting out the definitive method(s) of making contact with a branch if one cannot visit. Similarly it may be time to consign the fax contact system to business and for we mere mortals, set up an email system directly to a branch - an old fashioned concept, I know, but, we customers pay the bills!!

Advertisement