Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The restriction, which does not apply to takeaway or delivery services, was one of many announced by the Taoiseach on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Ah I'm an idiot!

For some reason I thought the NPHET info leaked the Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Was decided on the Friday 17th, came in Monday 20th with the legislation drafted and signed over the weekend.

To bring it in you need to draft the SI and have it approved by cabinet plus AG then signed by minister.

It's sort of a reverse now, you need the legislation in place to be rescinded through a ministerial order and possibly some primary legislation to be repealed. To get it done on the day is very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

The only thing about masks & close contact rules is that if the government announce that they will be no longer a requirement in the future that people will take that as a green light from now.

I believe there is as strong case to reopen more slowly in phased steps to allow the public a chance to reacclimatise on the return to normal.

Pulling the plug overnight may cause undue anxiety in the general public where more would retreat into their shells than if we adopted a more gradual approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Their is no rationale for these restrictions, if we can implement them quickly we can drop them quickly. Its time to celebrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Only frenzy is in this thread my learned friend. Normal people have just been living their lives all along. Have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is more to be considered than that you know. A big reopening with no notice from 6pm would mean that there would be few/no public order gardai rostered for Dublin City tonight.

It's not just pubs, their stocking and staffing that need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Surely if NPHET decide theres no longer a justification for public health measures they’re virtually saying that their job is done? I don’t see why a public health emergency team would stick around if it’s no longer an emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Probably the same here.

Shame the HSE won't give us the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I have to say, positive news this week. Its great.

But having read this thread or forms of it the past two years, it was the single most negative thing about covid for me that I stopped clicking in. Always on the first page. And always, always negative.

The amount of criticism from Joe soaps (as I am also) about every single decision taken was outrageous.

It was always going to be a lose lose for politicians. You have in the UK, which some people here were saying "well the Brits aren't as strict on X, y or z why are we fking it up " while simultaneously having people on London chat radio ringing in complaining about the lack of restrictions and using Ireland as an example of competence.

I don't want it to be the case, but it's possible come November there may be a need for new restrictions. Again, don't confuse this with wanting them.

Let's all enjoy this, and hope the worst is over.

But some of the stuff being spoken about like an expert was cringe worthy. People speaking more from a personal bias and how it affects them, than actual facts.

And now I see some people, critical of any restrictions at all throughout, moaning that they might have to return to the office 🙄. Again, it affects them personally and how they got used to working from home.

The strong opinions on pubs in particular (and I drink myself) really underlined the unhealthy obsession people have with it. As unpopular as that is to say. Expert enough to want them open all the way through, and "I'll find research that proves they're no more risk" . Simultaneously "I don't want to go back to the office and prefer working from home, therefore I'll find studies that show productivity isn't affected by working from home."

The amount of confirmation bias was unreal.

If this thread makes a re-emergence in the autumn, I wont be clicking in at all. I won't want to hear " but they told us..." when in fact no, they didn't say it was over forever. But maybe you took it as that in your head and want to retrospectively apply it to what was said.

Take this good news, enjoy it. I certainly hope that's it forever. But also, be a realist. And the politicisation of every single thing is also a load of toxic bollocks and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I reckon they'll be here till march 31st, they'll be finished when the legislation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Leo on the news ‘some restrictions can cease immediately as they are only guidance. Other will have to be legislated for’.

I don’t understand how legislation would have to be repealed? Anybody know why this would be the case? Surely it’s a simple thing to amend.

just shows how the government were totally sideswiped by NPHET last night, a good working relationship would have meant some advance indication of their thinking- you’d swear they wanted to put them on the spot. No love lost between that lot.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A little poem I penned to mark the occassion:

They shut down our pubs under public health advice

Hold firm they said, a couple of weeks may suffice

We soon made celebrities out of epidemiologists

And the government became NPHET apologists

So, no handshaking, don't get too close to strangers

Locked-down in our homes to protect those in danger

Out for a walk, but not allowed exceed 5KM

The queues outside Lidl were absolute mayhem

The anti-lockdown brigade grew thicker and thicker

And don't mention the Bulgarian fruit-pickers

And as the pandemic progressed, it became more surreal

We could eventually get a pint with a 9-euro meal

Takeaway pints or drinking outside in the cold

An abundance of caution while we protected the old

Meanwhile, young people were partying on city-centre streets

Dr.Tony was mortified and condemned them in a tweet

The vaccine roll-out began, Pfizer and Moderna to the rescue

But indoor dining and covid certs now became the issue

No standing at the bar, no pints after 8PM

Would we ever get back to normal again?

And finally some sense, and restrictions seem no more

But remember, you could even get a pint during the feckin' war!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah some people were down to their last 50 rolls of toilet paper!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think daily case numbers must stop now also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The daily case numbers will continue as long as the media reports on it. The HSE will not stop producing the data, nor should they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They can stick around for the independent public enquiry.

While it is a huge relief to finally reopen that does not mean there are no questions to be answered or lessons to be learned. The worst thing we can do is shrug our shoulders and say "sure it was a pandemic, no point worrying about it".

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What have I missed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah flip. Reckon next week will be my last fully wfh in current role. But it’s good we are moving on.

Everyone's favourite WHO envoy has been on the news at one telling us to expect reversals. LOL

He must not do a lot of work at the WHO, always seems to be all over Irish and UK TV & radio. A rent a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I actually disagree with you .I found this thread to be very informative at times, yes some bull but if you sift that out there was a lot of information and questions answered and links given

I for one did not agree with some things and perfectly entitled to discuss that .I didnt agree with anyone dying alone and loved ones having to look in the window while their mother or father died .I didnt agree with Maternity hospitals not allowing partners in to scans nor did I agree with hospitals not allowing at least one visitor to sick patients . A friend of mine was told he had terminal cancer and then had to spend the night alone in a ward . I didnt agree with HSe staff who worked from home getting vaccines before the vulnerable and I still dont agree with any of the above .

That doesnt make me a moan or negative , it simply makes me see things with compasion for others and question the rules in some instances .

I learned a lot from people on this thread and found discussion interesting at times from people with insight into what was really going on

Ah is there notin' to be said for a little Lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I heard that knob Pat Kenny use the term "variant storm" earlier. He said it in the context of whatever variant storm we must now face due to dropping restrictions. How are these clowns giving a platform to speak to the masses. And paid hansomly for the process too. No wonder some people will struggle to move on from this when having shite like that infiltrate their ears every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I agree with this. I have heavily disagreed with their decisions at times but there's a big difference between decisions you can disagree with and those that can actually warrant investigation or consequences. There won't be some big tribunal and it would be silly to expect one

Advertisement