Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to the Cinema during Covid

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

It must have been a very long time since I was last there, because the lights-on during the entire movie was new to me! I'm definitely going to email them about it, for all the good that will do.

I'm not being overly dramatic when I say that it really did ruin the clarity of the picture, especially one that had as many dark scenes as Dune. For a cinema that apparently promotes the experience of the image as a main part of the draw to their iSense screen (4k projection and ceiling to floor picture), its bonkers that they would then go and hamper the visual experience in such a negative way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh, if this is common policy to keep the lights on with Odeon, I may think twice about going to see Dune in Odeon Blanch on Friday. I've a local AMC and don't think they're doing that, was just going to be in the d15 area anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am not sure if they always do it but I first heard about it on here at least 8 years ago in relation to Odeon in Blanch. At the time they were telling people it was policy due to safety. Like Mr S, I assume it was because someone had fallen and threatened them with an injuries claim.

I was once in a cinema where someone left one of the emergency exits open and the light from the door was enough to make night scenes unwatchable. The overhead lights, even on dim, would make the whole film unwatchable. I am very sensitive to stuff like this having suffered through multiple dim screenings at Vue due to the crappy 3d lenses most of their screens are outfitted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Cinema yesterday evening, a few things due to Covid19; mask in lobby and having to order food on self service machines...also it was very cold in the screen, imagine it was due to ventilation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Has anyone noticed that Omniplex doesn't have large drinks anymore. I've been to a few different screenings in Cork over the last few weeks and never had them, and don't seem to be able to book them online on different cinemas.

Anyone know what's about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No idea; stuff like this I'm just assuming is all part of the Global Supply Chain issues hiting all walks of life; maybe there simply isn't enough mixture to allow for "large" orders 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Apparently it's a shortage of paper worldwide which is why they don't have the large cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That doesn't sound too good for the cinema industry in general.

Does this paper shortage currently affecting Irish cinema chains in providing popcorn at the lobbies to cinema patrons?

Does anyone here assume that the paper shortage that could become a massive in lasting throughput 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Was able to get a large coke in Omniplex few days ago but still no nachos due to 'Brexit' :'(

Looks like it's official now and CoVid certs are required for entry into cinemas; Based on experience from cafés, half the time they don't actually check once you say "yup, I have mine...", so I can't see the teenage workforce applying any greater rigour if they don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Have only been asked once and I don't mind to be fair anyhow. Only thing is your right they probably won't care but that's up to them once I show them and get to go in i don't care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mostly go to the IFI, Light House and occasionally Cineworld, which aren't representative of the standard multiplex. But they've been checking for passes extremely thoroughly since the rules were tightened in late October. Strict door checks at the IFI; escalator check at Cineworld; and particularly strict checks at LH when even going up to buy a snack or drink (then another check at the ticket check, though they stamp your ticket if someone checks your cert upstairs).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

• I went to the Bond film when it opened in Dundrum, just to get myself back in there and kind of was comparing notes at intervals via WhatsApp with a friend who was simultaneously watching g it remotely. The cinema was almost totally empty, less than 15 present, so felt reasonably safe. At that time tbh I wasn’t really concerned at all about being out and about. However presently I would avoid situations where there was more than myself and inviduals. Ironically the day I saw that film there were so few present I would have e been really quite safe, but presently with the sheer viral burden in the air I wouldn’t trust indoor public congregations at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Had to make a between cinema dash to see Spiderman as I mistakingly thought I'd get a ticket, but every screening was sold out. Throughout the day. Just about got a ticket for the other place.

If it can sustain that run it'd give you hope for the form surviving yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I couldn't remember if West Side Story was filmed before or during lockdown and then I came across several behind-the-scenes images in which the cast and crew are all hugging and holding hands and I got my answer. Sad how much the world has changed.

What capacity are cinemas running at at the minute then? Haven't kept up with any of the Omicron changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's odd that they've done away with having every other row cordoned off to enable social distancing, to having every row open but the venue is at 50% capacity. Went to see Spiderman last night. Busy!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Olive00

I used to go to the cinema often, then the lockdown started, they closed. But then they opened, and it's possible to go to the cinema, but I don't really want to, I'm used to watching movies at home now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im kinda the same, the bar is raised for me going to the cinema and at that I want the comfort of something like the Stella where they bring your drinks to your table!!!. Slumming it in a cinema with cheap arses bringing in their packets of Tayto is less appealing. Next year Top Gun is the only film I want to see on the biggest screen possible

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

I built myself a home cinema, largest oled screen and atmos audio setup.

it’s fantastic, but I still like to have the cinema experience.

the trick is to go at times when it’s less busy & less likely to have the types of people who do smuggle in their Tayto or be on their phones.

nothing like being the only person in the cinema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Going to be very hard to go with 8pm closure times. Pain in the hole trying to find a suitable time to see Spiderman

Wait, do cinemas count with the 8pm curfew? I was understanding this change to mean just pubs and restaurants, with reduced capacity for indoor event spaces.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that's insane. Well cinemas might as well close then for all the business they're going to do; given I'd have said most patrons come in the evening. Spider-Man: Far From Home looked like it was going to do gangbusters here (as well everywhere else), but if cinemas are closed at 8pm, that's ... what? Last showing maybe 5pm? Still too early for evening punters.

Yeah, it's ridiculous really. Trying to figure out now how we can go to see it, if at all

Post edited by siblers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭santana75

That's a ludicrous decision. I really feel for the cinema staff and operators, they're being pushed and pushed, I don't know how how they're still in business at this stage. I really hope this isn't the straw that'll break the camels back so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I feel sorry for anyone depending on the wage to pay rent or bills, they are basically saying only work in a cinema if you are a school kid or college kid living at home

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Full time cinema employees will at least get the wage subsidy scheme which is something . Part time emoyees are screwed, they will really suffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We went to see Spiderman on opening night and no way was there only 50% in there not a chance in fact , it was mental busy in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

True, no one checked for my cert when I went to cinema last night.

Has there been some sort of change in the restrictions in relation to the cinema? Went to book a film for the weekend in my local and theres now no seat separation.

It looks like all capacity restrictions will be lifted from 6am tomorrow, along with the end of the curfew and COVID cert requirement. Your local cinema is jumping the gun just a little bit (no formal announcement just yet) but it seems to be a done deal.

It's a done deal now 👍

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

No need of seat separation now thanks to the government

Honestly I was kind of liking the seat separation. It'll actually take some getting used to not having that empty seat you can put the jackets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I try to avoid seating next to people even before covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The lighthouse are still doing it, at least for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

A definite benefit! Enjoyed all the extra space. 8pm scrappage is the one I'm happiest about - was a pain in the hole to get around that one.

Now...all I need is Omniplex to bring back Nachos and i'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was in the cinema last night. Was busy enough which was good to see.

That 8pm ruling was a farce to be honest.

Good to be able to catch a film after work.

Yeah the 8pm restriction on cinemas was a joke.

Advertisement