Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just strikes me the irony of parallel chats about Outer Wilds and Halo happening in this thread, and yet Outer Wilds DLC had a more radical and ambitious take on a Halo 'ring world' than anything either Bungie or 343 managed to come up with post Halo 1!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo's take on a Ring world: It's a ring world with aliens to shoot. And the secret of the ring world is there's zombie aliens. And the biggest twist is that the alien zombies live in the worlds longest most repetitive and boring FPS level ever made. I'll collect the best narrative award on the way out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,751 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've a very low attention span, games need to grab me early and I need to get invested in the story if I'm to finish it. I'm not someone who can grind something out just to say I finished it, and I'm not someone who can put in 10-15 hours of crap just to get to the good bit.

This is probably a large part of why I couldn't get into Halo.

Couldn't get into Outer Wilds either.

The floaty aspect of Halo multiplayer irritated me too, could never get into that. I suspect it has such a cult following for nostalgic reasons, probably the first FPS that many played online cause it's nothing special these days IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing the first Far Cry game again at the weekend. Looks dated, but it is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My attention span is **** these days.

Going to force myself into the Outer Wilds and watch a few introductory videos.

Often games seem poor because the mechanics are not explained well or are badly designed and you get blocked or annihilated because you missed some key information or button combination.

• Advertisement

Note: if you put in a bad word on here it's censored. But if you edit your post in anyway the bad word is no longer censored.

Is there a "what are you playing now" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Days Gone is a game where the more you put in the more you get out. Which won't suit everyone. It's one of the best open world's to explore as most of the story and character development is done through exposition. If you just do the missions you can miss loads.

They have some tiny bits hidden that don't pay off until 40 hours later. It's a huge investment. The game could have been 1 third shorter and not diminished it. I liked it, so I enjoyed that it kept going. I was about 70 hours pottering around. I was also on gardening leave that month so had 10 hours a day to play. 🙂 Which I wouldn't have now.

It took me 6+ months to finish Death Stranding at 80 ish hours if play time.

I tried outer wilds. I've no idea what's going on 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved Days Gone my first playthrough, was my joint goty along with death standing. However, the 2nd playthrough was a huge chore and i never managed to complete my 3rd playthrough. The arcade challenge missions are way more fun instead of either playthrough as you get straight into the action with taking on a horde or bombing around on the bike in short bursts.

Also, anytime a person stops playing Outer Wilds because they don't know what's going on, a fairy dies, so just think about that. If anyone is about to drop it cuz they're stuck, Google a hint to give a nudge in the right direction. Some tricky things to figure out but there are notes you can find that explain everything you need to do, just hard to find some of them. Would be much better to do a quick Google if the alternative is not seeing it through to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It was more likely that I tried to start it at 2am after a few beers 🤣.

I have it on gamepass so playing it and halo infinite on my phone so will give it another try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In some actual good videogame music news, Windjammers 2 is finally out:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That's what passes for good music?

I think you'll find it's called art.

It's not amazing but think it nails the 80's summer vibe and sounds a bit like 80's arcade attract music so don't see an issue with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, it perfectly encapsulates that 80s arcade music vibe which I've always found unbearably cheesy. Couldn't stand it back then, have even less time for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tifa Lockhart is making a big impact in Italian politics seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was reading the article on kotaku and it referred to it as "unofficial FFVII p0rn". Made me think There's official FFVII p0rn?

How makes these sick videos and who would host them?

Asking for a friend

Just gave Death's Door a quick spin there on the auld game pass... Is the game sluggish ... Might just need to power up the main character ... .

Also, definitely prefer the Switch pro controller over the Xbox one. Seems much more comfortable, smooth, soft and responsive. The Xbox buttons seem much harder.

Anyway, beautiful looking and sounding game, if a little sad. To repeat, can't believe 2 people created this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Finished TOEM in the last couple of days. Beautiful little game that was a lovely break from the types of games I usually play.

Finished it up in about four hours but enjoyed every minute of its simplicity and humour. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy a game about taking photos but the environments were great and the puzzles were generally fun to solve.

Would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was going to download that, but I also see it's on the PS5 so I'll wait to play it on that for similar reasons, prefer the DS over the Xbox controller. I did however download Nobody Saves the World, as it's not slated for PS5 release yet, and it's made by the Guacamelee people so should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

The switch pro controller is so underrated, I think it's probably the best Nintendo have ever come out with and miles ahead of the Xbox alright. It's a pity it's so expensive / not standard and so many people subject themselves to the terrible joycons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You start off fairly slow and underpowered, but unlock new abilities (including ranged attacks) and upgrades as you go along. Different weapons to find too which have different speed, damage ratings. There's an umbrella weapon though which is very underpowered. It's only really there as there's a trophy/achievement for only using that weapon throughout the game.

One of the best games I've played in years though. Every part of the design of the game works in such harmony with each other, and it has an effortless charm to it. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I just grabbed 'Nobody saves the world' on GP for PC, looks fun and a nice small download file size too at only 717mb. Might have a look at Death's door too. I don't know how anyone can't get on with an xbox one controller though! One of the better, more comfortable controllers I've used to date.

The fit is fine, but all the buttons are hard, and when you game for hours like myself, it starts to get noticeable. I could play all night on the DualSense and not feel it, there's a softness to it, and flatter triggers so they're not digging into your fingers after a while. Each to their own and all that.

Nobody Saves the World is quite good. I'm just passed the first boss/area and the skills are opening up now. Interesting idea that seems to be pulled off pretty well so far, but again, Guacamelee was excellent so I had faith (even though it's a very different type of game). I shall plough on!

I find the Series X controller a tad non responsive. Dual sense is way better alright.

The Guide button on the Xbox controller drives me mad, nearly have to stand on it for it to work sometimes.

It's the A button on my one. I'm playing Ori and the Blind Forest at the moment, I LOVE the game, but having a slightly dodgy jump button adds an additional challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding a unresponsive Xbox controller. I only game with a Xbox controller a gen1 Elite one at that and i do not find it anyway laggy.

Anyone here play Control? I'm currently playing it and find it good. I'm not far into it but it gets better the more abilities you learn/get. I'm not sure if I have all abilities yet.

Advertisement