Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Watch a huge drop off in mask wearing now. Happened in the UK the minute they announced an end date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

All this compare when it suits your agrguement balony.

Ireland has only mentioned FFP2 masks in the past month, put that in your balance sheet.

Same quacks constantly repopping into thread, posting with "authority", mostly fabricating and bending truth, always with a twist, an agenda.

At least with the old search function, one could hang their soiled underpants on the line for all to see very easily by pulling up the mistruths and avoided questions and bizzarre selfish mentality from their previous posts in thread.

Masks have been mandatory for good reason and should remain so for the next few months.

The wearing of masks should be data driven.

Mask wearing needs to be enforced more by AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Microchip, but nice try.

I'd say you are taking the piss, but you seem to be a Jim Corr fan (the tinfoil merchant) so it's hard to tell. Of the very few anti-maskers I actually know, they all have that side to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's (almost) over Sean - time to let it go!

Wear your mask if you feel safer/better/more comfortable, but they have done little to help with Omicron so it's a good thing that it's so mild anyway. They weren't mandated in the early days when we knew nothing about Covid and had more "dangerous" variants, but there have never been mass outbreaks in supermarkets either.

Covid is, and never really was, a significant threat for the majority of people in this country (as evidenced by the numbers and those who were affected) and while the 6000 people who died is sad and a loss to their families, the reality is that the majority of those were very elderly and/or near death anyway and/or at risk from a host of other complications that were likely to kill them. We cannot prevent death no matter how many restrictions and grades of masks we come up with!

As for the notion that AGS should enforce mask-wearing more.. please! AGS can barely deal with real criminal behaviour and problems that cause people and communities a LOT more problems than whether someone is wearing a piece of (likely dirty) cloth over their mouth in Tesco!

But here's the thing you (And others) keep forgetting - no-one has said that YOU can't wear your mask. You just can't expect everyone else to, or feel your level of threat/concern/risk from Covid as you do, and do you know why that is? Because most people aren't at any significant risk from it- which is again a very good thing!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Advertisement

You took that from a coronavirus conspiracy thread that related to surveillance, privacy and future microchipping...from March 2020. All of which is still relevant in January 2022, and even moreso. You're insinuating I was saying there was microchips in the vaccine, which there isn't - and I never said there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The deaths have been a factor of the restrictions, including masks.

It has never been about preventing all deaths, strawman nonsense. It's also about the numbers being sent to hospital and ICU - numbers which have included thousands of people not at "significant risk". It is a numbers game.

The sheer numbers are a "significant risk" to the ability of the health service to cope, here and elsewhere. This is not just the HSE levels of coping but the best health services in the world. And having health service to treat people of all ages is important.

Masks are about protecting other people as much as others, containing your infectious droplets.

In Spring 2020 we didn't have mask mandates, but we had lockdowns and everyone voluntarily social distancing. Measures which could not be sustained and the voluntary compliance would not be sustained with distancing, limiting of shops, capacity limits etc. Masks could be sustained as a low cost measure.

Every major health authority in the world backs masks as a measure to reduce transmission, and at various points in the pandemic have backed mandatory masks to achieve this.

In most cases, the people not wearing masks are the same scumbags causing the other issues, I'm not fussy about what AGS crack down on them for.

So it is entirely legitimate for governments in a pandemic threatening public health capacity to mandate masks as a measure, and for it to be a matter for police enforcement. Ireland is not an outlier in this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Beginning of the pandemic - we didn't know for sure whether masks would be effective or not, e.g. we thought pathogens might be so small they would just pass through them, ergo they weren't widely mandated at the very beginning. As we learnt about the virus, we learnt it was spreading predominantly via droplets/aerosols from the nose/mouth, and that masks would reduce that spread. This is why mask mandates became widespread (but took time to get going, there were severe mask shortages, and governments wanted these to go to health professionals on the frontline)

Regarding your comment on significant threat. Covid has resulted in the deaths 5.5 million people worldwide, and an estimated 180,000 health workers and professionals, that's in just two years. However the real threat came from the fact that it could overwhelm national health systems, We can always make more beds available and build more ventilators, unfortunately we can't conjure up vast numbers of additional trained medical staff. Countries came very close to limits. Masks reduce the spread of the virus in a population, so the mandates were a no-brainer.

As for why we have mandates in most countries, this is because there will always be self-centered people who won't want to wear them, who don't understand/care about putting other people at increased risk. Likewise during the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918, which killed up to 100 million people worldwide, there were still people who were against masks. These people will always exist.

Likewise when seatbelts came out, some people refused to wear them despite overwhelming evidence they save lives. The seatbelt doesn't just protect the wearer's life, but potentially those around them and those in the opposing vehicles. However people whether through apathy, laziness, belligerence, spite, stupidity, etc still wouldn't wear them, so laws had to be passed.

It doesn't matter how unconcerned with Covid you personally are, I don't care, no one cares, but they do care if people like you are in a supermarket or on a plane, without a mask, during the height of the pandemic, potentially spreading the disease to their at-risk family members.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Happy to wear a mask on the LUAS and possibly in the supermarket if its busy... so many unhealthy people around, not just with COVID either.

If it helps in stopping me getting colds or the flu then I'm good with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Fuch that. You wanna wear one, so be. You can go into a packed gym or night club so what's the point in showing face by wearing a mask on a shop

• Advertisement

The people in the packed clubs or gyms arent the people at high risk one imagines. People choose to go there.

Masks are still in place for 'essential' services, transport retail chemists etc where all demographics interact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Mask wearing needs to be enforced more by the Gardai? Because there's no other issues for them to deal with.

Some people are having a difficult time coming to terms with this pandemic drawing to a close it would seem.

Glazers Out!

Serious question, "what's almost over"??

Once again _KAISER_ dishing masks("they have done little to help with Omicron"). Cause youv'e got a magic ball that can allow you to say that?

Your magic ball somehow alllows you to say "there have never been mass outbreaks in supermarkets either". Data collection has not been up to par to assume this as you do. Not all shops are supermarkets.

Your AGS comment just shows how ignorant you are of how much of a problem Covid has been.

Don't make projections that keep forgetting things. your I know it all attitude is dillusional.

Please tell, how exactly is "this pandemic drawing to a close"?

"Some people" are having difficulty with the words endemic and pandemic.

I think nullzero summed it up best above... "Some people are having a difficult time coming to terms with this pandemic drawing to a close it would seem"

The above reads like someone who will really struggle with a return to normal society and there will be a lot of others the same unfortunately. Stockholm Syndrome on a national scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And the above reads like the ignorant, selfish, self-entitled attitude that every anti-mask wearer has been spouting. I'll continue to post in this thread, but I'm completing ignoring anything this lunatic says.

Edit: To add, if someone really needs to explain why we still have to wear masks in shops, etc, while everyone can go shoulder to shoulder in nightclubs and pubs, then there's just no hope for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

Missed the announcement today. High level, do we have to wear masks now?

Masks still in place for transport shops schools as before... seems like will be reviewed end Feb.

All other restrictions to go from 6am.

What I find most concerning is how the Pro-Mask folks on this thread just lash out every time they are confronted with a different opinion. It's not good enough for them to do what's right for them - everyone else must feel and act the same way too!

It's a very Irish thing really - lash out at anything different that doesn't just go along with the status quo while preaching "the message" to all around them. It's something that's been around for generations and has really held this country back. This attitude over the last 2 years is extremely reminiscent of behaviours when the Church was running things here.

But just like then, so too are we finally emerging from the shadow of the Covid "crisis" and it's time to move on and return to normal living and society.

Nail on the head.

That type of holier than thou attitude has never left the collective Irish psyche and the pandemic gave it the perfect platform to display its festering rotten plumage in all its "glory".

Getting these new moral firebrands to relinquish the perceived power they've struggled for so long pre pandemic to find a vessel for will be in some cases extremely difficult to achieve.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Nobody is stopping YOU from wearing a mask. Get yourself some n95s and there's no need for anyone else to wear them. 90% of mask wearers are using cloth/crappy ones anyways. Worry about yourself. Two years in, it's time to get off that high horse.

What high horse? I said I was going to continue wearing one, my point is with the removal of most restrictions, people won't just stop wearing masks, they'll think everything is back to "normal" and go back to standing on top of people. I don't agree that people will be more conscious now, because some still weren't in the middle of this.

I can no longer see the post I replied to, but I stand by my words if I've said them. The massive lifting of restrictions is due to pressure from selfishness, people pretend that it's all about everyone, but they just want to get back to the drinking and doing what they want to do. Again, grand, that's the way it's heading, but I know full well most people will think it's all over and go back to pre-pandemic ways.

I'll go back on my word if i'm proven wrong, but I guarantee I won't. Covid isn't gone, but people will act like it is, due to selfishness. The good old "stay at home" argument is being rolled around again, which is the epitome of selfishness. If that doesn't stick, then posters attack the mental health of people like me, because on top of being world class virologists, they're now world class psychiatrists, because they've read studies that suit their agenda.

And again, something is better than nothing, but people can't even do that. People still don't understand the mask isn't for them, and it's so old at this stage there's no point trying to explain that anymore. It's all about me, me, me for the anti-mask crowd, ie: selfishness. I don't expect anything less of humanity anymore anyway. Everyone is selfish in their own ways, some are just blind to the fact that they are, and 2 years of a pandemic has proven, and continues to prove that.

My selfishness is wanting everyone to think about everyone else and continue to give proper space and wear a mask to protect others. /queue "masks don't work" comments

Sorry pal but I've been a compliant person through all of this pandemic and I won't be mourning the passing of mask wearing.

As for people wanting to get back out drinking, let them away at it. I'm past that phase of my life, a night out is a rare occurrence, I have a family and if I'm doing anything beyond that it's usually going to the gym. All in all people breathing all over each other in pubs and clubs isn't much of a issue for me. I had my wild nights and I think younger people probably have earned theirs by now particularly in light of the fact that they're not really at risk from the virus as it currently exists and those of them who are can make decisions based on their circumstances.

If masks dissappeared in shops tomorrow I would feel I'm danger. If you are vulnerable then wear your mask or get a home delivery there's options for people but the incessant nagging can and should stop ASAP.

Glazers Out!

And there's my point. I've no problem people going to pubs, clubs, matches, etc, gathering on top of each other without masks. Work away. I haven't been interested in that for years before Covid. But then saying there's no point wearing one in a shop because of that, it defies logic! That's the time you definitely should be wearing one, if you've been in such a crowd recently before. The mask isn't about YOU, it's about EVERYONE ELSE! Go mad, have fun, do your thing, but wear a mask in a shop to protect others. That's all. It was never about YOU. Never.

Yes, I will continue to wear a mask in a shop, but that is pointless if everyone else isn't wearing one. This is why they're saying you still have to wear it on public transport and in shops. That goes beyond people, and I really don't understand why. It's simple, straight forward logic. A 1% reduction because of a cloth mask or scarf or whatever is better than 0%. Better masks increase that, everyone should do it, very few will. So keeping a 1% is still better than 0%. Simple stuff really, but people are too selfish to give even that 1%. My point all along.

And again, basically telling vulnerable to stay at home so you can go about your life without a care in the world for others, what is that if it's not selfishness? Your comments are the same as everyone anti-mask, I no longer want to wear it so everyone else can suck it. Selfish. If ye would just admit it, we could move on from this back and forth playground "debate".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That constant push by certain people to view everyone as some murderous disease spreader who should know better and think about others is ridiculous.

Who's saying that? Specifically, "murderous disease spreader".

Saying that I suggested vulnerable people should just stay at home isn't an honest reflection of their hat I was saying. I think you've gotten a little lost in this argument if I'm honest. We'll agree to disagree. Take care of yourself.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

That's all well and good for now.

I think though that you need to prepare yourself to the fact that eventually masks will only be a recommendation/advice in all settings and people will stop wearing them. I'm not arguing whether this is right or wrong or selfish (you seem to love this word), just how things will be.

So "get a home delivery" is just a nicer way of stay at home then? We obviously do disagree. The simple act of wearing any sort of mask to help prevent the spread of a still prevalent and, to a lot, deadly yet preventable virus is beyond the comprehension of selfish people. You mind yourself too, and others, by wearing a mask in shops and on public transport, please and thank you.

@Irish Aris Yes, I am prepared for that day, but we're not there yet. Not by a long shot, according to most health and virologist experts. But with the removing of these restrictions, people will behave as if it is. And yes, I use selfish a lot because that's what it is, but nobody calls it out, because everyone is selfish in their own way and doesn't want to get caught out. There's talk of seasonal requirements going forward, Asians have been at it for decades...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Imagine torching your future like this not wearing a mask on a flight really escalated quickly...Christ what an eejit

Advertisement