Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eden Heaslip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

More to the fact that bullies face zero consequences from primary to secondary schools and it's highly likely that the Bully has a parent who will happily tell their child a teacher can't say or do anything to them before irate mother charges up to the school threatening teachers , child then see's parents can do whatever they want unchallenged so can they because according to parents its all someone's fault not their child

Social media companies for all the good they do (very limited imho) are absolutely destroying society. It's high time Governments and regulators go to town on them.

They don't care about anything else but driving likes and engagement to create more advertising revenue.

Give me a world with regulated social media any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,750 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cyber Bullying and all forms of Bullying should be punishable, I'd punish their parents too if minors

Nah, I favor extreme punishment for extreme transgressions. The milk of human kindness does not flow equally in everyone. Inflicting pain on bullies and other savages is often required to stop them in their tracks and dissuade others from doing likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Border Counties?? anti protestant prejudice is widespread in this country north & south not just the border counties - as a young protestant boy growing up in the 90s I got it in the neck big time in school call every name under the sun, spat in the face on one occasion..friendly race of people?? ya right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It might do, (although I think evidence suggests otherwise). But what it definitely does is shows everyone else that violence is an appropriate response in some situations which is a conflicting message when trying to communicate a message that bullying is unacceptable.

The message is a variant of live by the sword, die by the sword. Best to not live by the sword. I don’t see the contradiction with that.

Your post seems to imply that you believe that violence is never an appropriate response, presumably to anything. To which I say, of course violence is an appropriate response in some situations. How is this even remotely controversial? Police may be armed with batons and guns for a reason. Nations have militaries for a reason. People learn self-defense techniques for a reason. Jails exist for a reason. It would be foolish to teach children that violence is always wrong. Sometimes violence is the only way to subdue those who would do us grave harm. Isn’t that perfectly obvious?

Those monsters did Eden Heaslip (and his family) grave harm. The fact that they continued to indulge and delight in their malignant behavior after his death should tell you enough about the kind of people you’re dealing with and should be all the evidence you need that gentle words of encouragement and moral education probably wouldn’t have deterred them.

What might have deterred them would be a swift and brutal repression of the bullying by the agents of the law. Alas the law does not allow for such a response at this time, and more’s the pity.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

In the last minute of the report shown on Prime Time on 18 January, Fr Jason Murphy said he doesn't think that young people, in the fullness of their youth, grasp the fineness of the line between life and death. Surely, they know what death is, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^ I suppose if they're in such a deep depression they see death as a release

btw - those toe-rags continued to post vile messages about even after his death, the mind boggles 🙁 what sort of bastards are they?

I would have been bullied in school during the early stages of online activity becoming pretty standard and texting etc was cheap. So I even got some degree of bullying via those mediums. It largely happened in school thankfully but two things stand out for me in retrospect. Firstly the school claimed to have no bullying issue(bs) on the open day and secondly that being at home was literally a break from it. I frequently pretended to be sick and stayed at home. The bullies frequently got suspended for the bullying over the course of 3 years.

So honestly the lack of any safe place is depressing to even think of and it's a horrifying scenario to face. Schools have never done enough on bullying but now we have an added dimension of social media being very hands off with moderation unless there's an active threat. It's just a sickening scenario and also the parents of the bullies are fully aware of what's going on.

On top of that, a school should actively put in place mental health supports for anyone who is facing bullying. It can hang over a person for years after. I can honestly say I still despise the guy's responsible for mine and it was about fifteen years ago. Got feck all support from the school.

Rant done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Don't beat yourself up posting that. That's not a rant. I think we have our heads stuck in the sand here as a society. We are afraid to criticize schools, parents, social media platforms, kids having access to smart phones and all the problems that causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

No some of them do not, or do not appreciate the finality, in their youthful innocence and inexperience of life they have not the experience of looking at the stone cold dead body of a loved one or lowering a coffin into a cold wet ground, there to spend eternity.

Advertisement