Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Not as much a spoiler, she was in the teaser trailer :P

Bless your optimism, hopefully it is not misplaced. Although these people have made another Trek show that I have already given up on, I have some hope that ST:Picard can still be watchable and that I can glein some entertainment from Season 2. But I am weary of Secret Hideout's uncanny ability to take good ideas and fail to follow through.

That all said, Voyager had reduced the Borg Queen to the status of a Cartoon Villainess. So if they can manage to inject at least some intrigue or menace back into her character it will be a step up I feel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

She was cool the first time. But she’s been way over used IMO.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Has everyone seen this trailer? It gives way too much away for my liking. 100% going to watch it all though

https://youtu.be/SWVA1ceMcko

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I must have missed that trailer. Didn't think they were doing a Star Trek 4 on it. FFS, this will just be another pile of poo like the first season.

I'd agree, but I feel that she's also been misused.

In First Contact, she was an interesting novelty, and her first appearance in Voyager was interesting. But then after that she sort of devolved into a rather feckless idiot monster-queen who didn't know how to throw a dozen cubes at Voyager to get rid of them. Her behavior in End Game was beyond silly.

They could have made her cunning and extremely dangerous, but the Voyager crew routinely beat her with not too much difficulty. Future Janeway suggested that she had even beaten the Queen multiple times on her way home, suggesting that even after 20+ years of fighting an isolated Starfleet vessel, the Borg Queen still couldn't beat them.

The Borg Queen could be good again, if they can figure out a way to make her a more complex and dangerous character.

• Advertisement

Did you watch the trailer? She's going to be plugging like a time travel sat nav.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like we won't have to wait too long more for this. Premiering March 3rd.

I wouldn't discount the ability of a (well written) villain to get herself unhooked from that and fashion a new torso for herself. Looks like she was getting friendly with Dr. Agnes in the trailer. Maybe this was just seconds before she jumps her, assimilates her and transfers herself over onto a new body.

I won't mind Agnes being reformed as a Borg Queen. Would be a step up from the Android-scientist who didn't seem too haunted by her unnecessary murder of Maddox, which I'm convinced the writers had somehow managed to forget about by the end of Season 1. She kind of annoys me, and it would do no harm to the show if she just went away..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the trailer again for this; had kinda forgotten what the thrust of Season 2 was. I had also forgotten how suspiciously cheap it all looked, what with the convenient time-travel back to 2021 Los Angeles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

WWIII started in the 2020s. Picard having to steer Earth towards WW3 as a necessary evil to correct the timeline and ensure the Federation and Earth's place in it exists as we know it would be a pretty good moral dilemma and would tie back into the trial in Encounter at Farpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was going to say Galactica 1980 are looking for royalties!

But Trek has been here before, with TOS episode "Assignment Earth" trying to be a pilot for a 1968 set series & Voyager has a nice 'contemporary' trip to LA also iirc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Oh, I quite like that idea! That sounds like fun.

I just had a bad thought

Picard: We will need contemporary clothing and communicators to blend in

Raffie: I've got it covered JL. I've combined our communicators and tricorders into this. It looks like an Apple iPhone 14 the premier communication device of this period *awkwardly holds logo towards to the camera*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. That would be a good twist all right; but don't you dare try and get my hopes up for any kind of narrative complexity.

I also imagine, in regards to cheapness, the bulk of the actual FX will be various cutaways to Picard's ship in orbit; the captain relegated to a "tech support" when some futuristic narrative fast-tracking is needed.

I don’t have the faith in the writers doing that good a job.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Realistically it'll be mediocre, at best, and will probably abandon what's arguably the most interesting new character after the third episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I saw this trailer a while back and it reminded me of a story I read years ago - The Gift. Here's a synopsis (spoilers etc):

Looks like several elements from this new season may have been "inspired" by this? (Q sends Picard back in time where a Picard has turned the Federation into a dictatorship) Another Discovery-style mess in the making?

Meh, I won't be watching anyway. They killed Picard at the end of season 1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Is that the ST:IV time travel method?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭cassette50

2024 is the year of the Bell Riots? So in theory they could run into Sisko and Bashir 😂

Naw. Looks like crap. Really hate those "future people visit the past" stories and Trek IV only worked cos it leaned into the comedy; Picard has been consistently too self-serious to know when to throttle the melodrama. While in the week The Expanse finished and left us 3 books shy, I'm getting sick of this cheap narrative diarrhea passing itself off as professional scriptwriting.

Plus you just know the Guinan appearance will be one scene, then she's gone for the rest of the season. As it was in season 1; aka, pandering

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree. Despite the characters, it just doesn't look like Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So, the new trailer,

It's definitely going to be using the Borg Queen to Wile E. Coyote slingshot around the sun.

Did I see Terran Steamrunner and Nova class ships, the yellow markings on them, or this an alternate - alternate Terran Universe?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

According to Data, Irish reunification happens in 2024. I wonder will it be mentioned at all?

Taiwan. I don't think Russia has the capability to create augments

All Eyes On Rafah

Taiwan. I don't think Russia has the capability to create augments

You sure?

• Advertisement

Watched the trailer now.

Ugh….now I’m filled with some foreboding. It could still be good, but the beats they dicided to focus on in that trailer kind of un-ravelled some off the good will I had built up for this season. I hope to be proven wrong there.

Also, the final line from Guinan just filled me with cringe, especially that over played «pling» from their toast. How is it possible that can they manage to make me cringe at Guinan, one of my favorite Trek characters? I go into this season concerned alas.

Advertisement