Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I dunno, have looked at the M3 a few times before, but this was my first time driving.

Love my ID.3, will be 2 years old later in year and if changing there is little in new cars that would interest me except for 77kWh 4 seat version (VW or Cupra) or M3. Don't like or need big car, we have the Ioniq 5 for the big stuff. (But think I would get bored quickly if bought another 🙂) Prefer a sportier type of car with good efficiency. And prefer RWD. But will wait to see (or read) if new motor on M3 is not a downgrade.

Also had a look at Model Y, couldn't really warm to it. A great car I am sure if you need the space (But thought the Ioniq 5 was more comfy in back). Also thought the dash looked lost in it, yet same looks great in M3.

Just at the thinking ahead stage atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hogan86

Can anyone tell me a way of finding out if my model 3 2019 is a 980 motor (SR+)

Agree with previous posts. Hate the new UI, it needs work.

Regarding tyres in 19s, whats everyones preference? I have the Hankook S1 Evo 3 on but I see there is a specific EV version now. the bew Michelin Cross Climate 2 looks good but could take a hit of 10% on range with rolling resistance, thoughts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re new motor, word has is the hairpin motor is cheaper with more longevity however not as powerful, hence you are seeing a 0-100 speed drop, whether this is noticeable to us humans in another thing, they are on the ship to the UK so we will find out soon enough.

I'll certainly be heavily invested in YT to see the combination improvements, hairpin motor, larger battery, MCU3, double glass in back window, lithium 12v and heat pump. This is a radically different car on the inside from the 2019 M3 and I could be sorely tempted to trade in my S given the other already banked 2021 improvements like de-chrome/power boot etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Hope they keep their word on the heat pump, there is no word of inclusion on the configurator. But does look like it's across the board now.

Supercharging is not high on my priorities, I live in S East, Ionity is handier for me except on occasional West Cork or Belfast runs. Otherwise a little tempted by M3, agree that there are big (hopefully) improvements. Previously needed a hatchback, but no longer a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Took another spin in the model 3 Sandyford this morning, coming from the model s I found the steering wheel stiff to turn, didn't seem as smooth, had steering on comfort but still was a bit of effort compared to the s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

On my account I got a prompt today about increased range and decreased acceleration from what I ordered with an accept and continue delivery button.

It's the 60kwh LFP changes with the hairpin motor that was introduced last quarter on the RWD.

I had expected them to just deliver that version and not really say anything about the changes so maybe they are improving comms a little bit.

My order was from early October before the price increase so I can't complain.

Although since I pressed the button my order now just shows a service temporarily unavailable error page.

With price increases the Tesla 3 SR+ is getting pricey for what it is. LFP batteries when others are using NMC. A high end Renault 220ps Megan eTech makes a great case for itself but there is enough differentiation for the Tesla to still find plenty of buyers.

Nice, you my friend will by my guinea pig, what colour? I've toyed with blue but €1.2k with zero recoup when selling on is a bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dahughes23

Interesting approach, mine switched from an SR+ to a RWD model when I changed colour in December.

The order summary page has been down since yesterday afternoon, hopefully it’s because they are adding delivery dates 👀

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No SR+ anymore. Just M3 RWD. With 300bhp, and a real life range of 300 miles in summer as tested by rsymons in the uk, it will be a hard car to beat. No messing about with battery charges like the Megan etc, you simply plug in and charge to 100% daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ferg01

I’m just about to order mine, from what I read above, delivery times are minimum 4 months…can I check please, how far in advance of delivery does finance need to be arranged?

Looking forward to seeing some tests with the new motor, don't think it has 300HP but could be wrong. 240HP now?

Maybe not exactly 300. 280ish. The old one had 299 I thought?

Loads if videos on them already as they’ve been delivering them for a couple months now.

Carwow and Rsymons (one of the big UK EV dealers) done a road test on the new LFP battery last month.

They said they thought they could squeeze 300 miles from it in good weather.

Rsymons got lucky with a unicorn M3, last of the old motors along with the new battery so not directly comparable.

What we need is the typical 2022 versus LR versus Performance, he almost got it

We need our friend Bjorn on the case now he's back from Thailand

Yes agree, looks great, but I think similar to the one I drove during the week, has the old motor and new battery. Hope new motor is as expected, will know soon enough I suppose.

MIC Model 3 look very solid, very well built and only getting better

It's actually worse for our US cousins, Tesla had a stock of 2019 era batteries they are now putting in new Model 3s with disclaimer of something like 12% less range, folk can then reject if they want

The nice colours are pricey alright and after a bit of humming and hawing I eventually went all out with Red.

fek that's €2k extra is it not

• Advertisement

Yes it is. But I can tell myself the price going up by a little over 1000 shortly after my order helped offset it.

The other option was white and get it wrapped but that's not cheap either.

I'm now thinking if I was to switch from S to 3 to settle on white but pay for ceramic and some clear wrap on front/bonnet if somewhere capable in Dublin.

I don't know whether it's anything to do with the aluminium body or COD but the S get's hardly any mank/flies/chips compared to previous car's I've owned and detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Is it really worth spending thousands protecting it for the next owner?

When you regularly detail yourself it's different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I do and its not. PPF is a nightmare to keep looking nice unless it tucked and even then the finish is often matt and marred in time. I personally dont like a car being taken apart for proper hiding of the edges and its very expensive. Some chips still happen in the PPF so the optical effect is the same from your point of view, its only when you remove the PPF you get back to a clean surface (and that the next owner isn't it), and some stone chips will still happen if you are unlucky. Its like riding you wife with a jonny to keep her clean for her next husband.

A coating is nice for cleaning, but honestly in this day and age a self applied coating is almost as good if not as durable....like the Aytoglym ceramic coating, or Gtechniq C1 . Sure the more expensive ones last longer and have "self healing" gubbins but if you are washing all the time you can reapply one yourself, especially on a new car. Most self applied coating come with a matched spray "top up" product for regular washing.

Look that just my opinion on these having had a few coatings and PPF before on cars. Last time I argued this point I accidentally did it to the chap that owns a PPF place, so obviously he felt differently. And I understand that people want to keep their car fresh and clean. Just at the cost (couple of grand), and the time (going to take a week) thats a percentage of the value of the car, and a percentage of your time with the car thats gone.

Just drive the nuts off it, and let the next owner respray the bumper if there are chips that bother them..it only costs a few hundred with a good tesla body shop or a smart repair. Also applying PPF to a new car does run the risk of pulling the clearcoat when you remove it...things to consider. The entire PPF thing has sort of trickled down from the wrapping, hypercar and supercar scene where it makes more sense. My 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

@Fitz II ”Its like riding you wife with a jonny to keep her clean for her next husband.”

thanks I just spat a mouthful of red wine over over one of the kids, priceless analogy

If i was to swap my S for a new 3, i'd get white and wrap it a nice colour. I still like Nardo Grey even though its around a while, or i seen a Y done in a lovely Matt Frozen blue last night on YT.

PPF i agree. I wouldnt do it.

Wrap is subjective. You get to put a non OEM colour on there.

Ceramic is a yes from me. Makes the weekly maintenance washing so easy once you look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭trackdaychamp

My Account page online for new car is down for last few days also. Hopefully this is a good sign that VIN is on the way. My order was Sept 17th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ferg01

Advertisement