Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I'm around D8 and environs a lot.

Two things I've noticed of late.

1. St James Children's Hospital will be finished. A lot of structural work is complete. It's a mega project and should be finished in 2023 freeing up a LOT of builders.
    2. There are a LOT of developments going ahead and near completion

e.g.

265 build to let apartments in 4 blocks ranging in height from 2-7 storeys at the former Dulux Factory Site, Davitt Road, Dublin 12.

71 apartments arranged in six blocks with associated parking and site amenity spaces. Springvale Chapelizod (modular social units with no planning permission)

17 No. 1 bedroom, 26 No. 2 bedroom and 9 No. 3 bedroom apartments Nos. 489 and 490, Bluebell Avenue, Bluebell, Dublin 12

They should all be finished this year, meaning there should be a bit of a lift housing wise in the area AND more builders freed up.

Purely observational anecdotes but it does seem to me that a lot of delayed supply will soon be on the market. Does anyone have a similar feeling?

Population

In 1995 population was approx 3.6million and now is estimated to be 5.2 million. That's a near 45% increase in 27 years.

Our population pyramid will start to even out over time but currently.

2020 Natural increase 24,194

Immigration estimated to be around 23,000 so only around 47,000 population increase for 2020

We have the third fastest population growth rate in Europe after Luxembourg and Cypress. Some might say we really have the fastest.

So the challenge is to house around 55,000 extra people every year if trends continue.

Conclusion

Although lots of building, it's hard to envisage demand reduction unless emigration starts again.

So in order for housing to be solved, we need mass unemployment? Is that right? What a world!

Caveat; completely unprofessional and rubbish analysis over an evening

Incredible how they can build properties like this for this price in Romania

And the Sinn Fein proposal on state land of 150k is deemed impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where do you intend to get materials and labour at Romanian prices from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Don't be asking tough questions that there is no answer to.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Average wage in Romania is 24-15k

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/earningsandlabourcosts/#:~:text=Average%20hourly%20earnings%20were%20%E2%82%AC,from%2032.7%20in%20Q3%202019.

According to the CSO average earning in Ireland have climbed to 850/ week late last year. That near enough three times the earnings.

Building labour in Ireland would is well above average earnings, while in Roumania it probably at or near average earnings as there economy is not as developed as us.

Building standards are totally different to Ireland. House has gas fired central heating with ordinary radiators. It more or less to builders finish. Single electric pendents only on center of room ceilings. No Kitchen or fitted appliances. PVC windows and doors look very poor standard. Stairs is mass concrete with a basic steel banister.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have you heard the one about the chicken and the egg?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Thanks interesting stuff

Had a little dig for more data and it turns out that only 10.1% (oecd 2019} of the population pay full market rent in Ireland, while 16.3% live in subsidized rental properties.

Ireland also gives substantial subsidies for buying while in Germany there are no subsidies for buying or renting and in a survey 93% of Germans were happy with their accommodation situation. I wonder if this satisfaction is borne out of the balanced nature of housing costs across the population. Survey is dated and I understand there having issues in recent years as the financialization of housing has hit their shores recently

Our property tax is amongst the lowest in the world.

All these subsidies come at great cost to the 10% that pay full market rent. This is where the damage is in Ireland and mainly effects our children.

In conclusion, our market is heavily propped up with subsidies and the cost vastly increasing through inflation linked long term leasing.

While most other countries have self sustaining markets without the need for subsidies or at very reduced levels

Would the figures for average earnings for the last 2 years be heavily distorted by the blanket closure of tourism, entertainment, and other less effected sectors that have low wages?

Materials cost should not be that different and especially not if done in bulk. Add €25k extra per house for Irish labour cost.

Seems crazy to me that we can't easily build for €150k, especially in the social category, imagine marble kitchen table tops not required.

As for the other chap. I cannot imagine that the people in 20th century social or temporary accommodation would not jump at the opportunity to get a Romanian house in Ireland. Seriously, all the dreadful hap accommodation near where we live. Look at chapelizod, planning approval waived etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No need to caveat, that is essentially implied with any of us posting here!

Interesting to note once again the correlation to rising population and housing costs being flagged. Only 10 years ago we had net emigration and even up until 6 years ago the economy was in transition. Cost of housing is already on the white board as directly impacting our future competitiveness in terms of further MNC growth. I laugh when I read last week, by way of example, that tik tok is looking for bigger office space to accommodate 2,500 workers. We don't even have that level of housing in Dublin available to rent for this to happen. I think the gift horse may have been looked in the mouth with respect to our well paid, educated immigrants fuelled population growth. That being said perhaps the snap reopening decision might enable our economy to get a jump in on other EU countries as it will attract people who hear that Ireland has reopened to immigration and it is business as usual. This would be a boost for this year at least but beyond the initial reopening boom we just have to materially force down rents and significantly increase supply of housing in order to maintain the lifeblood of our economic success.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Im actually surprised that it’s this high….

labour costs alone will increase this to 250k.

SF cost models are a total joke like all left wing parties.

The EUR is toast.

the most likely “property market correction” is a massive drop in the value of the EUR.

everyone loses: rents go up a bit, cost of living go up massively, cash buyers lose in $ terms. Only heavily indebted owners benefit, but that’s a small group due to lending rules.

looking at apartment prices in Munich, crash risk in Dublin is limited

FYI reception room counts as 1 rooms, ie 3 Zimmer = 2bed

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/de/bayern/muenchen/wohnung-kaufen

If you looked at the bar graph it gave Q4 earnings yearly from 2016-21. Increases were fairly even. There was a sight fall between Q2&3 in 2021 indicating the semi return to normality last summer. All indications are anyway that building labour costs have increased faster than the rest of the labour force.

Materials costs are effected by Irish labour costs. The suppliers are paying higher wages. The Roumanian house is very basic and very little timber or decoration.

The finishes alone,( kitchen, lighting painting, fireplaces, stairs etc) would swallow up a lot of the 25 k you mentioned.

Labour costs would be 150k+ in the difference between Dublin and Bucharest. The site seems not to be in an overly build up area( looking at street view and map itself) this may reflect more an outskirts of Portlaois price than a Central Dublin.

Our building standards are much higher than Roumania with higher certification as well. It highly unlikely to change.

The Euro is remarkablly stable. It has survived and is growing in strength as a currency. It's going nowhere.

The one to watch is the Chinese Yen as they have depended on keeping it at a low parity with the dollie, as it internal market demands rise it will have to allow itself to climb against the dollar which will effect the competitiveness of China

Slava Ukrainii

If you looked at the bar graph it gave Q4 earnings yearly from 2016-21. Increases were fairly even. There was a sight fall between Q2&3 in 2021 indicating the semi return to normality last summer. 

Seen increases over the last 12 months, however in the form of bonuses rather than core pay, anyone else seeing this trend. I suppose its a smart move by employers to determine if inflation is transitory or embedded

China is a dead man walking. I was too dismissive of the Evergrande debacles importance but it would appear Cathy Woods of Ark investments was right on the money - China's economy has already died, it's just they have been able to hide the fact due to their usual tight control of information flows and Covid distractions. China looks like a repeat of Japan's property price bubble burst of the 90's, only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Materials cost, and building regulation required costs will easily add 50k

That chapelizod development is really outrageous, normally I'm a believer in building, but they are Putting up this massive apartment complex, in an area where there were lots of allotments, it's basically in the Phoenix park. The village is tiny with one road running through it, hardly any facilities and one school, traffic is a nightmare going through at rush hour.

it's actually disgraceful that the corporation can build this with no planning!

It'll be pretty amazing social housing, back yard phoenix park. I'm pretty sure they're incorporating some facilities into the development.

• Advertisement

Itll be fabulous for those lucky ones to move in!

probably not great for the village though

My Grandparents once owned a Georgian gate house to Phoenix park called Oak Park, with the park being on the far side of the garden wall.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

Interestingly the amount of people in Ireland living with "housing cost overburden" is less than half the EU average, whereas the amount of people in Ireland living with "living in households with arrears on mortgage, rent or utility bills" is just under double the EU average.

Go figure.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

Would love to hear what he makes of the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Odd one. I wonder in other countries is easier to enforce on security so arrears are dealt with more promptly. So Irish banks maybe have bigger legacy arrears issues on books that are slow to resolve. The vast majority of loan book is performing and given Irish economy going strong might make sense overall household costs less of burden vs other european economies. Given our lending rules theres cap on debt burden here. I would imagine household costs is big burden on Irish population renting more so than mortgage holders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Reading today in the paper a columnist reckons a 1% rise in interest rates would justify a 20% drop in house prices.

That'd probably bring prices back to the start of COVID. No harm I reckon, it'd be good to take the heat out of the market at this stage, I don't think anything else will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I think what is happening with Russia will be hyped up and used as an excuse for interest rate rises by the ECB. Like with COVID being the solution that QE was looking for, this spectacle at the Ukranian border will result in further inflation mainly due to energy prices rising and the ECB will claim that the escalation in conflict required interest rates to rise to cool inflation. We need to reward saving with meaningful interest rates, it's unsustainable to punish prudence.

A 1% interest rate rise on a €300k mortgage would be something like €250 pm extra mortgage repayments I think. It's not insignificant but not nothing as well. Of course it would take some heat out of property.

You do understand that they cut rates and undertook QE to prevent a new Great Depression. Increasing rates to quickly also increases a risk of a new Great depression. The US is increasing rates because of their labour market reaching full employment and with the economy growing and full employment means that workers are able to move jobs and get higher pay. This is the driver that the central banks are worried about as it will generate a wage/inflation spiral.

The UK are in a similar position because of restrictions introduced by Brexit which cut off a supply of labour. To make matters worse in the UK not only are they raising rates but they are also increasing taxes. The combination of these two forces and the fact that they will see massive energy inflation in April (due to energy price caps rolling over) means that the cost of living there will go through the roof and people will be substantially worse off. A lot of economist are concerned that this could drive the UK into a deep recession.

The EU unlike the UK and USA has not reached full employment (Unemployment in the EU is up at 7% verses 4% in USA and 4.9% in the UK) and as a result there is less pressure to raise rates and risk the start of a new Great depression. The inflation they are seeing is mainly from supply side and energy and as a result raising rates would have little effect on the inflation. Wage inflation is not yet evident in the EU at a total level (but does exist in certain countries where the economy is strong and there is a labour shortage). If the EU don't raise rates then the value of the EUR will drop against the UK and the USA which will make exporting to these countries cheaper and countries like Germany and Ireland will benefit as they should see more exports. So the longer the EU are able to hold off in raising rates or introducing QT the stronger the EU economy will get which reduces the risk of a recession when rates rise.

In relation to mortgage repayments the impact of rates rising will mainly impact people who take out new mortgages such as first time buyers or people trading up. Something like 90% of mortgages on Ireland are on a fixed rate for 2-5 years so they would not be impacted straight away.

• Advertisement

I doubt it very much. As it is prices have been slowly dropping over the last 2-3 years and there was probably a bit in it still to go. It would probably start to stabilize them 5-10% drop at best and you would want other factors to influence that.

A 1% rise would be an increase of 125/month on a 300k mortgage.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement